PDA

View Full Version : No end to simo dispute

takeout
10-08-2004, 12:45 AM
http://drf.com/news/article/59759.html

The_Knight_Sky
10-08-2004, 07:07 PM
Thanks for posting the link, takeout. :)

Nader estimated that for every $1 that Belmont has lost in revenue,
the tracks that have blacked out the signal have lost $4.50, based on how revenues are derived from simulcasting.

Racetracks typically pay host tracks 3 percent of handle to take a simulcast signal,
and keep the remainder of the takeout, generally 17 percent.

If that was a valid statement from Mr. Nader,
then the mid-atlantic cooperative tracks are hurting way more than NYRA.

So why are we not hearing of imminent purse cuts
up and down the northeastern corrridor just yet ? :confused:

Suff
10-08-2004, 07:16 PM
Suffolks downs handle is way up. Last Wed. They handled 2 Million Dollars!. They usually handle about a Million on a ho-hum midweek card.

foregoforever
10-08-2004, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by The_Knight_Sky
Thanks for posting the link, takeout. :)

If that was a valid statement from Mr. Nader,
then the mid-atlantic cooperative tracks are hurting way more than NYRA.

So why are we not hearing of imminent purse cuts
up and down the northeastern corrridor just yet ? :confused:

If the coop's patrons are keeping the money in their pockets that they used to wager on NYRA, then Nader's estimate is correct. On the other hand, if those patrons are simply shifting their wagering to other tracks, then the coop loses nothing and only NYRA is taking a bath. The truth is somewhere in between, of course, but each party should be able to look at their numbers and see how much all this costing them.

PaceAdvantage
10-09-2004, 04:58 AM
The main problem is that NYRA is in no financial position to take on any additional "hurt" of any kind, so if it is hurting NYRA even in the slightest, it probably isn't good.

takeout
10-09-2004, 09:24 PM
I would think that it would have to be hurting them. I saw this at the Albany Law School site back when all of this first got started:

Due to the bridge-jumping incident at Belmont on Friday 9/17, per capita handle was about as high as it ever gets. Per capita
on-track handle was $398.88, with 3,329 fans betting $1,327,861. But for the full week, it looks like the Mid-Atlantic states
not taking NYRA is having an effect. NYRA handle from out-of-state sources was down by 21.9%, and total NYRA handle for the week was down by 14.6% from 2003.

takeout
10-09-2004, 09:39 PM
Foregoforever,

Thanks for that clarification. I knew there was something wrong with that $1 to $4.50 estimate when I first read it but couldn’t quite get my feeble brain around it. It wasn’t making much sense seeing as the Co-op was the one that pulled the plug. Like you said, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

takeout
10-10-2004, 12:59 AM
http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=24742

[snip]
NYRA officials say that while its revenue is off $800,000 million since the MidAtlantic Cooperative pulled Belmont's signal in mid-September, the 19 racetracks in the consortium have lost $3.2 million. MidAtlantic officials dispute that, and a top racing industry analyst says there is really no clear way of knowing how much the tracks have lost.
[snip]

$800,000 million? Now THAT’S a loss! :D

Tom
10-10-2004, 11:15 AM
Horseracing's brightest and best at work here.
That typo about 800,000 kind of sums it all up.....morons on both sides of the table.

Figman
10-11-2004, 07:27 PM
I don't know is this a "break" in the Mid-Atlantic impasse or not.

Hinsdale in NEW HAMPSHIRE simulcast the full Belmont card on Columbus Day and they also have telephone "account wagering."

The_Knight_Sky
10-12-2004, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by foregoforever

On the other hand, if those patrons are simply shifting their wagering
to other tracks, then the coop loses nothing and only NYRA is taking a bath.

Count me among those doing The Shift to other simulcast signals.

Up until several years ago, the New Jersey tracks did not carry the NYRA signal
at all. Now that it's gone again, I'm do not find it difficult to
switch back to the tracks I played before. Since I'm a working stiff
who does the 9 to 5 routine, The California signals and Mountaineer
research has always been a part of my studies. Throw in Turfway
and Meadowlands evening cards this autumn, and I really do not miss the NYRA cards.

It would be great to have the NYRA back as part of my weekend itinerary,
but at the Meadowlands we only get the Saturday card since Sundays are
closed due to football tailgates next door.
Why the Big M doesn't build a parking lot for simo patrons on Paterson Plank road, I don't know.
How much revenue is the Meadowlands losing due to weekly football conflicts every autumn weekend. I wish I knew. :confused: