PDA

View Full Version : Youbet still breathing

karlskorner
03-15-2002, 09:31 AM
http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=8562

PaceAdvantage
03-15-2002, 10:45 AM
Looks like things may be coming down to the wire here...I hope they make it....

==PA

rrbauer
03-15-2002, 11:54 AM
I never wish anyone bad luck, but I can't see YOUBET making it.

Their best hope IMHO is to be acquired by another Inet outfit.

RIP YOUBET!

PaceAdvantage
03-15-2002, 11:56 AM
I just hope they make it because I use them and love them. They have, without a doubt, the best wagering website in the business, and they have been ahead of the curve in terms of technology since the start....despite all their warts, they deserve to make it....

==PA

rrbauer
03-15-2002, 01:08 PM
PA

For your sake I hope they do make it.

I don't judge them, their product, or their service. It's the situation that they're in with Magna on one side and TVG on the other, both with deep pockets; and, both with a tenacious desire to have it "their way".

MikeDee
03-16-2002, 06:03 AM
I'm with you PA the CD version of the software is the best I have seen and the video on a DSL is acceptable. They have more tracks then anyone else. The only thing I would ask for is to make the 2 account system easier to use.

I'm guessing the 1st QTR numbers will be bad and that the fiasco of not being ready for the first CA board meeting led to the demise of the current management team.

Hope the new boss can turn things around.

JimG
03-16-2002, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by rrbauer
PA

For your sake I hope they do make it.

I don't judge them, their product, or their service. It's the situation that they're in with Magna on one side and TVG on the other, both with deep pockets; and, both with a tenacious desire to have it "their way".

I would not be surprised if TVG or Magna ended up buying Youbet and using their online wagering technology. Like PA, I think they are far and away the best in the business.

Jim

PaceAdvantage
03-16-2002, 11:15 AM
Once their contract with Call-A-Bet runs out, you can probably kiss the two-account system goodbye, as I'm sure Magna is not going to let YouBet carry ANY of the XpressBet tracks owned by Magna. The only reason they still carry the Call-A-Bet (now XpressBet) tracks is that they probably have a contract that is still in force with Call-A-Bet (now XpressBet)....

Once that happens, they'll probably close shop, unless they get bought out. I can't see Magna letting YouBet carry their tracks in direct competition, can you??? And YouBet with just their TotalAccess tracks can't possibly be enough to let the company limp on, can it??

With all the trouble Stronach is apparently having with XpressBet, I can't believe he can't offer a sweet deal to buy out YouBet....

==PA

MikeDee
03-16-2002, 12:05 PM
I think you are right about magna, but I expect that they will pull their tracks from all of the other on-line sites as well and try to mimic TVG.

Sad thing is I don't think magna knows or cares how bad their expressbet is and figures us slobs will just use their poor excuse for a wager site or else. I doubt that they think that there is any reason to buy ubet and will pick up ubet customers when they fail without doing a thing.

I think the only hope is that TVG buys them. Ubet still has contracts with the independents that TVG doesn't have. This way TVG can get revenue from these tracks that won't sign a TVG agreement.

The more these companies develop their own on-line wagering and video formats, the less reason they will have to spend any money on ubet stuff.

rrbauer
03-16-2002, 12:33 PM
There's no question that XpressBet sucks...big time!

Hopefully, Jim Gagliano, who MEC hired away from Philly Park's PhoneBet can make some improvements there. I took my money out of XpressBet after spending about five days of futility trying to place bets in their system.

Ultimately I believe that TVG will need to augment their TV racing coverage beyond the hosted approach that they use today and they could leverage that with YOUBET's multiple-track streaming video coverage. Since TVG and YOUBET already have a business relationship that marriage seems "natural".

However, TVG is bleeding millions and I question what their lifespan might be if their parent finally says, "Produce revenue or expire." Also, I believe MEC can outlast TVG on the basis of their control of content via expanding racetrack ownership and Stronach's determination (read: EGO).

Of course none of this benefits the paying customer: the horseplayer. But, we're used to that. Right?