PDA

View Full Version : Horses that re-rally

sq764
10-07-2004, 10:39 PM
I was curious, horses that re-rally in a race - is this something that is a one race thing or is this a trait they pick up? Are they gamer than other horses or do they just have their moments when they can get passed and come back?

cosmicway
10-07-2004, 10:53 PM
Rather infrequent and much more so in two successive races.
A famous European horse that ran in Tizznow's second Breeders cup day was one such. I have permanent Alzheimer whan it comes to horse names - its in the tip of my tonque.

Bubbles
10-07-2004, 10:57 PM
Sakhee, maybe?

cosmicway
10-07-2004, 10:58 PM
Shakee was in the photo finish with Tizznow. Not him.

Zaf
10-07-2004, 10:58 PM
Happens more on the turf. Usually tighter turns , close quarters, theres a lot of checking and steadying. Horses have to re-rally and alter course often.

ZAFONIC

cosmicway
10-07-2004, 11:14 PM
Well, obviously we mean in the last stages.
In the first half horses lose and regain places more oftenly.

Zaf
10-07-2004, 11:20 PM
Actually, I think SQ was referring to horses who go to the front get challenged at the top of the stretch , get passed, and then rally back to win. Right ?

ZAFONIC

cosmicway
10-07-2004, 11:32 PM
Indeed.
That's what makes it spectacular - when it happens.
Early on if the jock sees someone else vying for the lead he may as well let him pass, with no overall consequences.

sq764
10-07-2004, 11:35 PM
Well, an example of what I was referring to was Race 2 at Penn tonight:

http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbChartResultsDisplay.cfm?TRK=PEN&CY=USA&DATE=10/07/2004&STYLE=EQB

I had the 4 and thought i was toast..

cosmicway
10-07-2004, 11:46 PM
It says:

>> BUBBLEONI set the early pace with a clear lead, was headed on the turn then dueled and prevailed at the wire

That's the type of situation I understood you had in mind.
Btw that's a good looking results page they have.

Mind you a rather odd circumstance is when the horse doing the closing likes the smell of the horse infront of him and does n't want to travel past. May be your horse thought his opponent was too sexy and so you won the money.

Zaf
10-08-2004, 12:42 AM
Boy SQ, You really had to Scratch n claw your way to that win :)

BUBBLEONI set the early pace with a clear lead, was headed on the turn then dueled and prevailed at the wire. SCRATCH N CLAW stalked the pace from the two path into the turn, entered into a long drive and just missed.

I've seen this in the past at Woodbine , From time to time it seems like the inside is just so good at Woodbine. I've seen the inside horse claw his way back up for the win after being headed. On the whole it is very rare.

ZAFONIC

Equineer
10-08-2004, 06:46 AM
Pat Day has won with his share of horses that appeared to re-rally after getting passed on or beyond the final turn.

Guidry is also one that is keenly aware that some horses need another to run at in the final strides... have seen him re-rally quite a few mounts.

cj
10-08-2004, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by Equineer
Pat Day has won with his share of horses that appeared to re-rally after getting passed on or beyond the final turn.

Touch Gold in the Belmont immediately comes to mind...

maxwell
10-08-2004, 08:57 AM
It's not too often that horses re-rally in deep stretch. A horse did it a few years ago in one of the BC turf races. I think it was a Mike Dickinson horse coming off a long layoff.

hurrikane
10-08-2004, 11:56 AM
some have said it is an illusion. The horse isn't really coming back again but running steady and the others are dying.

Not sure how you can check this but it's an interesting idea

JPinMaryland
10-08-2004, 12:49 PM
>>> Mind you a rather odd circumstance is when the horse doing the closing likes the smell of the horse infront of him and does n't want to travel past.

Coming soon to DRF: pheremone reports.

Valuist
10-11-2004, 10:07 AM
Seattle Slew dueled through a :45 and 1:09 pace in the JC Gold Cup, started to apparently tire, then came on again to lose by a nose. For a horse to duel that kind of pace in a 12 furlong race, it may have been the best losing effort I've ever seen/heard of.