PDA

View Full Version : Belmont: Friday, July 5

Teach
07-05-2019, 09:08 AM
Race One:

In this turf route, n1x, I’m opting for the French-bred bay filly, :1: Altea. Yes, this Chad Brown-trained 4-year old has been away from the races, as Billy Joel would croon: “...for the longest time.” Yet, when the “Man from Mechanicsville” is the conditioner, I sit up and take notice. I realize that this Siyouni-bred distaffer hasn’t won for nearly two years (Vichy at 7 panels). Frankly, as an aside, I could go for some chilled Vichyssoise; on second thought, make that bowl of borscht with a dollop of sour cream. I might add that the blinkers come off. Brown, albeit with a limited sampling, does exceedingly well in that category. The morning works have been good. And then there’s that hombre from Trujillio Alto, Puerto Rico, “Ciudad de Manantiales,” Irad Ortiz,Jr. Others: :7:, :5:, :2:

Race Two:

We stay on “the weeds” and reduce the distance to the turf-route, 7 panels. I’m casting my lot for the M/L favorite, the alliteratively named, :4: Lovely La La. Chad Brown is the conditioner. In this race, it’s brother Jose Ortiz in the irons. In this filly’s last, this Uncle Mo-bred finished 8th in the non-graded state-bred Mt. Vernon. Yet, that finish could be labelled “deceptive” as this filly was fanned out 7-wide coming into the lane; she was just 3-lengths off the winner. In this smaller-sized field, this distaffer may just be able to launch a winning bid. Others: :9:, :3:, :2:

Race Three:

:1: Sams Last Ghasp has had his difficulties when entered against allowance types…but now this chestnut gelding is back in with the kind he should handle. He has the services of the veteran jinete, Javier Castellano. I believe this gelding will be “sitting” the trip. He should be tucked in just behind the front-runner. And then, in the stretch: pounce! Tom Morley, he’s having a solid meet, is this gelding’s conditioner. Others: :3:, :5:, :2:

Here We Go! A 6-figure, 2-day, Pick 6 carryover. The pot should growing exponentially. Change My Life! “Slay The Dragon”.

Race Four:

We start “the festivities” with a turf sprint. I believe you have to “go deep”. You don’t want to be knocked out in the first leg. I’ve looked at this race for the last 20 minutes, and I’m still undecided. I’m going to offer a tepid, lukewarm choice and then four other possibilities. My top pick is :2: No Mo Promises. Manny Franco is going to have to angle this colt to the outside as Joe Bravo did in this 3-year old’s only start, a winning one. But that was just before Halloween. The recent morning works have been good. Jorge Duarte, Jr. does well with horses that have been en vacaciones. The key will be if jockey Franco can get this Indian Charlie-bred to the outside. Others: :1:, :4:, :6:, :9:

Race Five:

I’ve landed on :3: Royal Asset (I am “buying insurance”). This 7-year old gelding would appear to be “the horse,” yet I don’t consider him a lead-pipe cinch. Trainer Rob Atras is having a solid meet. Jockey Manny Franco is one of “NYRA’s Finest”. However, I just can’t “single” this guy. Others: :1:, :6:, :5:

Race Six:

I’ve landed on :8: Bacchanalia. Yes, In like this Chad Brown-trainee. This 3-year old Union Rags-bred filly was last seen finishing 3rd in an MSW around Labor Day up at The Spa. In her defense, she was both bumped and checked in that one. To paraphrase the “Bard on the Avon”: “A clean trip…a clean trip…my kingdom for a clean trip.” Irad Ortiz, Jr. is in the irons. Others: :5:, :7:, :10:, :6:

Race Seven:

It’s a marathon! The River Memories non-graded Stakes. And such a large field! I’ve opted for the German-bred grey mare, :12: Sky Full of Stars. This 5-year old has been campaigning “Across the Pond” with a brief stop-over at Woodbine around Columbus Day. This Christophe Clement trainee gets Lasix and also the services of jockey Jose Ortiz. Her morning works have been very good. Others: :2:, :10:, :5:, :8:

Race Eight:

In the Grade III Victory Ride, I’m going with :2: Cookie Dough. In her last, this Distorted Humor-bred filly got caught up in a speed duel in the Grade I Acorn. If Rajiv Maragh can provide a more measured trip, this 3-year old can prevail. Kiaran McLaughlin trains. McLaughlin does very well with horses making their second start under his tutelage. Others: :5:, :4:, :1:

Race Nine:

In the finale, a turf route, my choice is :5: Moyne Spun. I guess my major concern is that she been a bridesmaid in all three of her turf starts. This filly does have the services of the Panamanian-born jinete, “El Rey de la Hierba," Jose Lezcano. There was a solid recent work. Others: :2:, :12:, :13: