PDA

View Full Version : Jamal Lewis situation

cj
10-06-2004, 09:21 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1895818

I have no problem at all with any penalty handed out by our justice system.

I do, however, think that it is ridiculous that the NFL will suspend Lewis pending the outcome of his court case on Thursday. The guy was a college student not even in the NFL when the offense occurred. How can this possibly even be considered? :mad:

betchatoo
10-06-2004, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by cj
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1895818

I have no problem at all with any penalty handed out by our justice system.

I do, however, think that it is ridiculous that the NFL will suspend Lewis pending the outcome of his court case on Thursday. The guy was a college student not even in the NFL when the offense occurred. How can this possibly even be considered? :mad:

I agree. It is a ridiculous use/abuse of power

pjd888
10-06-2004, 10:19 AM
have to disagree-he's a criminal.
I think he should be suspended at least a year.
It doesn't matter when it happened to me.

Valuist
10-06-2004, 10:27 AM
I think jail time will be enough for him. I seem to recall the NFL fined Ray Lewis around $250K-300,000 after his case a few years ago. Apparently the NFL thinks they are their own jurisdiction with their own criminal justice system.

sq764
10-06-2004, 11:17 AM
What I don't get is the timing of the jail time.

I wonder if I told the courts: "You know what, I have to fly to Tokyo in January for some meetings, can we postpone this whole jail thing until after that? Thanks"

betchatoo
10-06-2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by sq764
What I don't get is the timing of the jail time.

I wonder if I told the courts: "You know what, I have to fly to Tokyo in January for some meetings, can we postpone this whole jail thing until after that? Thanks"

From what I understand the courts can sometmes be quits accomadating. I have a friend who was found guilty (of all things) of taking illegal sports bets. They let him postpone his jail time till after the first of the year so he could spend the holidays with his family (wouldn't let him wait till after Superbowl, though)

sq764
10-06-2004, 11:33 AM
I guess I know what he used his one personal call for...

How long did he get in jail?

betchatoo
10-06-2004, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by sq764
I guess I know what he used his one personal call for...

How long did he get in jail?
120 days