PDA

View Full Version : Charles Carroll...

Derek2U
03-14-2002, 09:13 PM
Okay... i definately think CC is legit writer, but does his ideas
hold up? I play NY races ... 1 turn miles are DEceptive...
This view of a single 1 mile track record is silly... etc etc

any ideas?

GR1@HTR
03-15-2002, 09:33 AM
I dunno but I've been trying to finish reading his book Handicapping Speed but can't motivate myself to finish it. IMO, a boring read...I'm still working on it though...Not sure if I've learned anything from it yet. He's taking 200 pages of small print to give me 2 pages of info...To technical of a writer...Gimmie Beyer when it comes to writing books about speed.

GameTheory
03-15-2002, 11:17 AM
Well,

Beyer recommends Carroll, so there you go...

GR1@HTR
03-15-2002, 01:17 PM
To summarize what the book so far....horses break, take a few steps, then accelerate, then slow down...

BillW
03-15-2002, 01:40 PM
GT,

It's a code among handicapping authors to offer blind praise to their fellow authors. I don't recall seeing an insightful comment (pro or con) from one author about another. Nothing really wrong with that, just don't look to other authors for insightful reviews.

Bill

rrbauer
03-15-2002, 02:17 PM
The blind praise goes way beyond authors.

Everyone (OK 99%) who is selling something to horseplayers goes out of their way to push other products/services being sold to horseplayers. Barry Meadows is an exception but I've always wondered with some of his exposes how much of that is motivated by altruism and how much by money (I think that I know the answer!).

Derek2U
03-15-2002, 11:33 PM
Yeah ... lets face it a lot of cappers know more than these so
called writer-experts. I really think we could do less with their
writing and MORE with accurate data. A few improvements
couldnt hurt.