PDA

View Full Version : Rodney passes on

BillW
10-06-2004, 12:42 AM
After losing Gordon Cooper and Janet Leigh in the past few days, today Rodney Dangerfield succumbed to post op complications from heart valve surgery.

Going to miss you Rodney, you were a classic.

Inglewood Flamingo
10-06-2004, 12:49 AM
His depiction of gambler/photographer Monty Capuletti in Easy Money is one of the all time great classic performances IMO. A must own DVD. Take care Rodney you will indeed be missed.

schweitz
10-06-2004, 12:50 AM
Saw him live a couple of times---he was a great talent and one of a kind.

CapperLou
10-06-2004, 01:22 AM
Rodney!!!! Thanks for all the laughs and enjoyment you gave me and so many of us!!!

You were fabulous--and I was lucky to see you several times along with most of the great comedians of the last several decades.

It's hard on me to lose both you and Alan so close together!! So many laughs from you and I'm giving you respect Rodney--thanks for the memories and may you rest in peace.

Just caught an HBO special on you being roasted last week.

All the best,

CapperLou

Secretariat
10-06-2004, 02:50 AM
I hope ole Rodney gets the respect he surely deserves.....

JustRalph
10-06-2004, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by CapperLou
It's hard on me to lose both you and Alan so close together!!

Alan was great too.........Toast to Rodney! Now go out and teach your kids to do the Triple Lindy..........

betchatoo
10-06-2004, 07:46 AM
He was one of those great comedians who proved you didn't have to be filthy to be funny. He will be missed

Tom
10-06-2004, 08:19 PM
Alan who?

And Rodeny, what a guy! Funny fellow. And he helped a lot of young comediens get started, too.
Sad to hear this news.:(

CapperLou
10-06-2004, 08:23 PM
Alan King!!!!!!!

JustRalph
10-06-2004, 08:37 PM
http://www.terencemichael.com/alan.king.gif

Friars Club Master of Ceremonies for years.........

Tom
10-06-2004, 08:42 PM
D'oh!

Dan
10-06-2004, 09:05 PM
Yes, Rodney was the greatest. R.I.P. Here's some of his best:

When I was born ... the doctor came out to the waiting room and said to my father... I'm very sorry. We did everything we could ... but he pulled through.

I'm so ugly... My mother had morning sickness - after I was born.

Once when I was lost..... I saw a policeman and asked him to help me find my parents. I said to him, Do you think we'll ever find them? He said, I don't know kid ... there are so many places they can hide."

My wife made me join a bridge club. I jump off next Tuesday.

I'm so ugly... I worked in a pet shop and people kept asking how big I'd get.

I went to see my doctor... Doctor, every morning when I get up and look in the mirror ... I feel like throwing up. What's wrong with me? He said, I don't know but your eyesight is perfect.

:)

Steve 'StatMan'
10-06-2004, 09:11 PM
Rodney, you we're the best! Thanks for the thousands of great laughs! Remembering you and your jokes has made for great ice-breakers. You really deserve 'one of these' (thumbs up).

Bubbles
10-06-2004, 09:15 PM
Caddyshack...BRILLIANT.

Thanks for the memories.

Dan
10-06-2004, 09:16 PM
And a couple of other classics:

A girl phoned me the other day and said..."Come on over, there's nobody home." I went over. Nobody was home.

It's been a rough day. I got up this morning...put on a shirt and a button fell off. I picked up my briefcase and the handle came off. I'm afraid to go to the bathroom.

When I played in the sandbox the cat kept covering me up.

I could tell that my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio.

My mother never breast fed me. She told me that she only liked me as a friend.

My father carries around the picture of the kid who came with his wallet.

I remember the time I was kidnapped and they sent a piece of my finger to my father...He said he wanted more proof.

I went to the doctor because I'd swallowed a bottle of sleeping pills. My doctor told me to have a few drinks and get some rest.

Steve 'StatMan'
10-06-2004, 09:25 PM
More Rodney Classics:

No respect at all. When I was a baby, I was breast-fed by my father.

In high-school, I had to share a locker with a mop.

My wife said she wanted to have sex in the back seat, and she wanted ME to drive!

My uncle's dying wish was to hold me in his lap. The State was giving him the Electric Chair!

Dan
10-06-2004, 09:28 PM
And a couple more:

I was so poor growing up ... If I wasn't born a boy ... I'd have had nothing to play with.

If it weren't for pickpockets, I'd have no sex life at all.

During sex, my girlfriend always wants to talk to me. Just the other night she called me from a hotel.

One day as I came home early from work I saw a guy jogging naked. I said to the guy, "Hey buddy, why are you doing that?" He said, "Because you came home early."

Dan
10-06-2004, 09:32 PM
Steve'StatMan'BTW,

Those were great!

Steve 'StatMan'
10-06-2004, 09:34 PM
Thanks for remembering so many of his great ones too, Buddy Love! Great to remember and laugh!

Dan
10-06-2004, 09:39 PM
Steve'StatMan'BTW,

I did find a lot off of the internet but I have a huge collection of his one-liners. I've done some comedy on stage and written one-liners. Rodney was one of my heroes.

Another one was "I was so ugly that at Halloween my parents used to send me out - as is."

Tom
10-06-2004, 09:44 PM
The bartender asked me if I had any nude photos of my wife.
I told him no and asked me if I wanted some!

I took my car to the garage and asked for a rough estimate.
The mechanic kneed me in the groin and said,"50 bucks!"

Rodney - the greatest!

Dan
10-06-2004, 09:57 PM
Good ones, Tom!

I think in today's world we could all learn from Rodney. Just say screw it, live your life, don't worry about anything, and just have fun.

Steve 'StatMan'
10-06-2004, 10:01 PM
Buddy, you did some standup! That had to be exciting - and nerve wracking. The joke writing and collecting has to be a joy, although for a living that could be tough - kind of like the difference between handicapping for enjoyment and handicapping for one's sole income.

I come up with a few now and then, but don't have an outlet for them, other than sharing them with friends - but I love that too. The gang in the Handicapping Center at Hawthorne's been a 'good crowd' for me.

Dan
10-06-2004, 11:18 PM
Steve'StatMan'BTW,

Yea, it's really something else doing it live before an audience. Especially, when you start bombing. It's the loneliest feeling in the world.

My problem is that I'm an hour and a half away from the closest venue for 'Open Mike' night. That's where you learn from all your mistakes.

Like anything else it is a learned skill both performing and writing. I started a little too late in life since most opening comics only make about $250 a week. Can't pay the mortgage with that.

My worst night was when I was at this biker bar trying to get the owner to host a comedy night for some comedian friends and myself. I was pretty lit (drinking) at the time. He asks me to do some of my routine during the band break.

Here I am in the South and this band were Lynyrd Skynyrd wanna-bees and there's all these Harleys in the parking lot. They must have played 'Free Bird' about three times in the opening set.

Long story short I totally died on stage. No laughs. Then I said an old Sid Caesar line, "Are you an audience or an oil painting?" Grabbed my wife and said "Let's get the h*** out of Dodge City."

If you can handle the bombing it is great being on stage. You ought to give it a try.

Dan

Buckeye
10-06-2004, 11:26 PM
My neighborhood's tough, when I first moved in, I asked a cop, "How long a walk to the subway?" he said, "I don't know, so far no one ever made it!"

"Everytime I close a window I hit somebody's fingers."

Shacopate
10-06-2004, 11:37 PM
Great job guys,

RD was class all the way.

Here's one I remember.

I recently got in a cab and asked the driver where I could get some action, he took me to my house.

schweitz
10-06-2004, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by buddy_love

I went to the doctor because I'd swallowed a bottle of sleeping pills. My doctor told me to have a few drinks and get some rest.

[/B]

That would be Dr. Vinnie BoomBah. :D

WALLENDA
10-07-2004, 04:04 AM
He'll be greatly missed.. Caddyshack and Easy Money make todays comedies look like trash. Rodney was one of a kind.

"I tell ya, nothin' goes right. Last week I found a guy's wallet.. Inside was a picture of my two kids."

Suff
10-08-2004, 06:53 PM
I never get tired of watching Caddy Shack. Between Rodney and Bill Murray that movie is one of the all time greats.

One of my Favorite Dangerfield One liners is.

"My wife gives good Headache"

lol

Dan
10-08-2004, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Suff
"My wife gives good Headache"

lol

"I told my psychiatrist I got suicidal tendencies. He said from now on I pay in advance."

"One time I asked my old man if I could go ice skating on the lake... He told me to wait till it got warmer."

Another time my old man took me to a sideshow to see the freaks. The owner looked at me and said: "Get the kid out of here, he's distracting from the show!"

Tom
10-08-2004, 11:25 PM
My doctor told me I was overweight.
I told him I wanted a second opinion.
He said you're ugly, too.

Bubbles
10-08-2004, 11:41 PM
My wife told me to take out the garbage. So I said, "OK, what are you doing tomorrow night?"

Buckeye
10-09-2004, 12:08 AM
When my wife has sex with me there's always a reason, one time she used me to time an egg.

Just once, when I'm out on the highway and someone passes me without pointing to one of my tires.

I said "doc, my teeth are all getting yellow," he told me to wear a brown necktie.

A two bagger: that's where you wear a bag over your head in case the bag on hers breaks!

I could go on . . .

Dan
10-09-2004, 01:42 PM
And the day I got married was really embarrassing. The judge said: "If anyone is against this marriage, speak now or forever hold your peace." I looked around. Her family had formed a double line.