PDA

View Full Version : First time race horse owner questions.

Flashbackdiner
06-05-2019, 09:14 PM
I will be getting more details by end of this week but so far : $2,000 plus $350 a month to own 10% of a horse that will make his first start within a few months. I’m thinking about doing it has a hobby with no intention of profiting from it. I do want some suggestions or things to look out for before I pull the trigger with this. I do know it will be a solid 10% ownership and not some virtual share. Does anyone have any experience with this?

airford1
06-05-2019, 10:28 PM
Enjoy the journey. Loved it when we had runners and I hope you do make it to the winners circle.

elhelmete
06-05-2019, 11:01 PM
I will be getting more details by end of this week but so far : $2,000 plus $350 a month to own 10% of a horse that will make his first start within a few months. I’m thinking about doing it has a hobby with no intention of profiting from it. I do want some suggestions or things to look out for before I pull the trigger with this. I do know it will be a solid 10% ownership and not some virtual share. Does anyone have any experience with this?

What racing jurisdiction/circuit?

I enjoyed when I did it, fractional ownership in several for about 5 years.

Lots of other details might be helpful in advising you.

Will you need to be licensed? (I'd decline if NOT, but that's just me).

Make sure your 10% stake is really 10% to YOU, and not 10% of some managing partner's own 10%, for instance.

What's the trainer's day rate and how does $350 per 10% equity pencil out in that respect (seems a bit lopsided to me)?

If they're offering 10% for $2k, that implies a value of $20K, and that's for a maiden, so the purchase price (assuming it was bought privately or at auction) was probably below that. How does that pencil out in the jurisdiction(s) you will race in, specifically the MSW and MCL conditions?

JustRalph
06-06-2019, 01:20 AM
Take the same money and go learn to fly......

You can buy a plane 4 seater for about 400 a month

Immortal6
06-06-2019, 08:08 AM
Does the $350 a month include vet/farrier bills? It should at that price unless you’re racing at a major track for a big name trainer imo.

tbwinner
06-06-2019, 12:48 PM
You're better off going the claiming route if you want to win some races... Claim something in partnership with a trainer for 10-15k on the East coast, preferably something you can run back in 20-30 days (hint; use the condition book before you claim..) and win some money.

Maidens are fun, but they sure can disappoint.

NJDfan1711
06-06-2019, 01:07 PM
I just got into this myself as well. 3yr old filly. $3,300 for just 3%, $2,500 annually for training/maintenance/bills/etc. Horse hasn't raced yet, currently at Belmont, most likely debuting in August.

Good luck with yours and hope you enjoy it, and maybe make some money too.

airford1
06-06-2019, 01:23 PM
OK here is what happened with our partnership.

2yo special wt.maiden won her first start and ran out of the money in second start at LA co Fair grounds. Never raced again bone chip in front knee removed and gave her to friend.

3yo gelding took 9 starts to win maiden 16K claiming @ GG went on to race till 6yo raced 52 times with 4 wins 9 seconds 14 3rds. This one payed a lot of bills but raced in the low claiming 8k to 6250. Claimed for 5k

5 yo gelding we bought for one dollar. Legged him up and started 14 times. won his 6th start in a 5k maiden race at Caliente (The good old days) he popped a sepensory ligament. He managed to win 3 races with 2 seconds.

3yo Filly never made it to the races and sold as a Pleasure Horse.

5yo Allowance winner bought for a dollar ( he was sent to the farm and owner gave up on him) 5 months to get him ready to race and fell over dead after a 5f workout.

Well that was our first partnership. Yes we lost money and wish that we would of learned to Fly. Had a great time.

Fager Fan
06-07-2019, 07:54 AM
I just got into this myself as well. 3yr old filly. $3,300 for just 3%, $2,500 annually for training/maintenance/bills/etc. Horse hasn't raced yet, currently at Belmont, most likely debuting in August.

Good luck with yours and hope you enjoy it, and maybe make some money too.

The buy-in cost may or may not be fair. Is it s $100k horse?

The training though? $82,500+/year?

Since you just bought in, I hope they fully disclosed what her physical issues have been that has kept her from starting.

iwearpurple
06-07-2019, 12:20 PM
I have found that I lose a lot less money by betting horses than I did owning shares of horses.

My suggestion. Unless this is really money that you could afford to flush down the toilet, don't do it.

Lemon Drop Husker
06-07-2019, 12:35 PM
You're better off going the claiming route if you want to win some races... Claim something in partnership with a trainer for 10-15k on the East coast, preferably something you can run back in 20-30 days (hint; use the condition book before you claim..) and win some money.

Maidens are fun, but they sure can disappoint.

One of my very best friends did just exactly that yesterday. Iredell,
ran in R2 at Penn.

First time owner, with a claiming horse that hits the board just about every time out. Horse runs soundly 14 to 16 times a year.

Afleet
06-07-2019, 07:57 PM

It's the greatest feeling in the world when you win! About $40k a year for training expenses in Philly. A lot less if they are turned out on a farm. If worse comes to worse you have a tax write off. Owned a horse that ran second in the Chicago Handicap a few years ago. One of my fillies is supposed to run @CD this Friday if the race goes-Stephan Foster weekend-can't wait!!

Afleet
06-07-2019, 08:02 PM

Check out UTCB stud-$87k average earnings per starter. I belong to 3 different partnerships. I just bought a Street Boss with a new group/partnership🏇. Does anyone know a great bankruptcy attorney?😀

Robert Fischer
06-08-2019, 11:52 AM
I would love to work with an ownership group.

The most common syndicate offering that I notice, offers the ownership experience, sometimes even an additional social experience, and the executives run the group risk-free. I think that is great. Everyone knows what they are getting into, and it's a great experience.

With the groups that really focus on the bottom-line of the racing operations, I tend to often notice one or two owner's names listed. This could be a private sole ownership, or a group under an owner's name. This is also cool.

I think they are all great. There is a lot of money in horse racing.

Would love to work with either kind of group, and add to the bottom line of the racing operations, by significantly increasing the value of the horse decisions.

Not all of the models would care if the horseflesh performed better for a better ROI, but some would. There's definitely some room in the market for the skill.

Flashbackdiner
06-09-2019, 07:34 AM
I decided to pass on my quest to become a partial horse race owner. I tried to negotiate with the syndicate but they would not budge. My final deal was partially what they requested 2,000 for 10% ownership of horse but in lieu of the $350 monthly fee I offered 95% of any winnnings. They balked which leads me to believe it is some sort of sham. I also found out later on that the guy involved use to be part of Karakorum racing which apparently became a pretty shady operation and went bankrupt. Oh well.

Robert Fischer
06-09-2019, 03:24 PM
I decided to pass on my quest to become a partial horse race owner. I tried to negotiate with the syndicate but they would not budge. My final deal was partially what they requested 2,000 for 10% ownership of horse but in lieu of the $350 monthly fee I offered 95% of any winnnings. They balked which leads me to believe it is some sort of sham....

The deal is the deal.

That's what I'm talking about, with the most offered model, where the execs face no risk (assuming they can bring in the clientele to support the model).

Doesn't mean it's a 'sham'.

But, it's good that you asked questions.:ThmbUp: There's an ownership model for you out there, if you don't mind your 'experience' and 'social' part being completely hinged on performance and ROI. There's lot's of people who like to pay for the experience part. It's like people who pay for the very expensive courtside NBA seats. Not tremendous 'value' but you pay for the experience. As long as you know what you are buying it can be very attractive if it suits you.

Flashbackdiner
06-09-2019, 09:37 PM
The deal is the deal.

That's what I'm talking about, with the most offered model, where the execs face no risk (assuming they can bring in the clientele to support the model).

Doesn't mean it's a 'sham'.

But, it's good that you asked questions.:ThmbUp: There's an ownership model for you out there, if you don't mind your 'experience' and 'social' part being completely hinged on performance and ROI. There's lot's of people who like to pay for the experience part. It's like people who pay for the very expensive courtside NBA seats. Not tremendous 'value' but you pay for the experience. As long as you know what you are buying it can be very attractive if it suits you.

Robert thanks....I guess “ sham “ was a little extreme in my wording. It seemed though that they were more interested in securing a monthly payment arrangement then anything else. Someone pointed me in the direction of Little Red Feather on the West Coast so I will do my research and see what they have to offer.