PDA

View Full Version : Roger Stein RIP

Tom
05-31-2019, 11:51 AM
Heard on ATR today that he has passed away.
Used to have a radio program in SoCal.
Guy was quite a character in his day.

There were some threads about him here over the years.

:rip:

dilanesp
05-31-2019, 11:59 AM
Big loss. He was a very popular figure here. And a good claiming trainer.

lamboguy
05-31-2019, 12:19 PM
very sad day for me, he was a long time buddy of mine, i had spoken with him 2 days before the Ky. Derby this year.

he suffered from Lou Gherig disease for many years. when he was broadcasting his radio show he was full of pain, and he was smoking medical marijuana in bed laying down.

RIP good buddy, not to many like you left in this world.

oughtoh
05-31-2019, 12:31 PM
Liked listening to him when he had his radio show. Sorry to her that he passed. It is a big loss to the racing. Will miss him. RIP Roger

GMB@BP
05-31-2019, 12:34 PM
I am sorry to hear he has passed away. I thought sometimes he was very unfair to people as part of act.

Dave Schwartz
05-31-2019, 12:54 PM
Liked him a lot.

Too bad.

theiman
05-31-2019, 01:33 PM
Whether you liked him or not he kept racing topics on the air for 20+ years in So Cal.

I often heard people say who did they pick on the Stein show today, most of the time meaning Jon Hardoon's Ragazon sheets pick.

He got his start in harness racing, so he is alright in my book.

At the end of June it will be 2 years since he had to give up his radio show due to his health.

RIP Roger

FenceBored
05-31-2019, 01:40 PM
RIP, Mr. Stein.

I've thought about Roger more than a few times the past couple of weeks wondering how he'd been doing.

I miss his show.

exactorman2
05-31-2019, 02:31 PM
Was a real character and I mean that in a good way. Racing needs more of those kind.

airford1
05-31-2019, 02:33 PM
Big loss. He was a very popular figure here. And a good claiming trainer.

Roger Stein was much more than a Claiming trainer.

dilanesp
05-31-2019, 02:41 PM
Whether you liked him or not he kept racing topics on the air for 20+ years in So Cal.

I often heard people say who did they pick on the Stein show today, most of the time meaning Jon Hardoon's Ragazon sheets pick.

He got his start in harness racing, so he is alright in my book.

At the end of June it will be 2 years since he had to give up his radio show due to his health.

RIP Roger

Hardoon, many years ago, used to occasionally guest on the on track seminars at Del Mar and Santa Anita. That guy came up with more winning longshots than anyone else I have ever heard. A brilliant, counterintuitive handicapper.

JustRalph
05-31-2019, 03:34 PM
When he called Todd Schrupp a child molester...... as "King of the two year olds" I laughed but thought it went overboard.

I listened to his show when I lived in Socal. A character he sure was...........

king kong
06-01-2019, 08:43 AM
RIP Great radio show Knew his racing.

Tom
06-01-2019, 09:59 AM
I used to download all his shows and listen in my car driving to and from work. Good stuff.

SandyW
06-02-2019, 04:38 PM
RIP Roger, you were one of a kind. A great trainer, and a long time radio show that pulled no punches. You will surly not be forgotten. Thank you for all you did and tried to do for our sport.

Zaf
06-02-2019, 11:29 PM
I used to download all his shows and listen in my car driving to and from work. Good stuff.
:headbanger:

HPFridays
06-02-2019, 11:48 PM
I used to love Roger's show. Roger was never afraid to speak the truth and tell most of what he knew to his audience. It's a shame all his knowledge and stories never made it into a last book, soundtrack, or video. He was a master at getting interviews with the people his audience would want to hear from(Baffert or Smith on Derby Day, Jon White, Andy Asaro, or his unforgettable interviews with Michael Gill). I'll miss him calling Jon Hardoon "Jon Boy" and the banter with "bettor Bob" that he had before he left the show abruptly. He certainly had a beef with Todd Schrupp from TVG aka "Todd Schmuck" haha. :pound:

RIP Roger from a fan. :rip: