PDA

View Full Version : Does this actually mean anything?

betchatoo
10-04-2004, 05:35 AM
The vote was so close four years ago, people are now thinking, hey, maybe my vote does count."
- JOSEPH R. PASSARELLA, the director of voter service in Montgomery County, Pa.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/04/politics/campaign/04vote.html?pagewanted=2&th&oref=login

As a liberal I'd like to think the voting surge, particularly in urban and minority areas is going to be a big boost to Kerry's campaign. But I have serious doubts especially when I read the paragraph about people working to make a quota and the half finished registration papers.

So I'm asking you to put down your political guns, antagonisms and agendas for a minute and tell me, does this mean anything?

sq764
10-04-2004, 09:21 AM
Personally, I think very few people change their mind in the last month preceding an election.. But I could be wrong.

schweitz
10-04-2004, 11:25 AM
My thoughts are that if you have to push someone to register you better be able to go and pick them up to drive them to the voting booths or they won't get there on their own.

PaceAdvantage
10-04-2004, 11:32 AM
I think some are overestimating the bias of the young voter. Some folks, like Michael Moore, who are banking on Kerry winning based on a huge bloc of "underpolled young voters" pushing the Kerry button, may be sorely disappointed in the fact that many young voters are not Kerry supporters.

kenwoodallpromos
10-04-2004, 01:58 PM
Many people will only vote if really pushed and turnout is very unpredictable because most people pay little attention to politics and get turned off right away over nagative campaigning and having to figure out too much.
They assume the politicians are supposed to figure out what is best that is what they get elected for.
If things get so bad like with Nixon or Gov Davis that they have to figure it out then there is hell to pay.
So Bush has to give people as little reason to switch presidents as possible in order to win. That is why the push in fighting in Iraq right now.
The Demos are recruiting people from safe states like Ca to go to neighboring states to get people voting but I do not know how successful that will be.