PDA

View Full Version : Excel based Horse Racing Program

JJMartin
05-09-2019, 02:54 PM
Does anyone here use their own Excel program?
If not, what would you want to see in such a program?
I have nothing to sell but am considering developing a paid version if there is any interest.

mikesal57
05-09-2019, 04:26 PM
Does anyone here use their own Excel program?
If not, what would you want to see in such a program?
I have nothing to sell but am considering developing a paid version if there is any interest.

JJ....

Alldata is a good Excel start.....

It imports all the data from the Bris file and you can do whatever programming you like...

With that said......what is really needed?

IDEAS!!!!

What handicapping process can be done so that its unique and of course profitable...

In this day and age , numbers have been used in so many ways , it will take a genius to find something that no one else did..

Mike

JJMartin
05-09-2019, 04:58 PM
JJ....

Alldata is a good Excel start.....

It imports all the data from the Bris file and you can do whatever programming you like...

With that said......what is really needed?

IDEAS!!!!

What handicapping process can be done so that its unique and of course profitable...

In this day and age , numbers have been used in so many ways , it will take a genius to find something that no one else did..

Mike
I definitely credit Raybo for the insight on creating my own Excel programs going back about 8 years. Since then I have gained a lot of VBA knowledge.

In terms of novel ways to use data, I agree it is a lot harder to come up with some new metric nobody else uses.

Krudler
05-09-2019, 05:06 PM
Excel is indeed a powerful tool for handicapping. I've used Raybo's Black Box in the past. It worked to some degree but I wanted to take a more "hands on" approach to my handicapping.

So, at the moment, I'm using a combination of the following in my Excel workbook:

Dave Shwartzy's 1-2-3 System
The moves from Jim Lehane's Calibration Handicapping
Angles from Mark Cramer's Thoroughbred Cycles
A methodology for finding false favourites from Roger LeBlanc's recent book, "The Punter's Tale"
The 4+30 approach pioneered by Ed Bain
Pandy's ESR and Pace Shape Spot Play approach
Fotias' New Pace Top and related concepts
a few other bits and pieces

Each one of the above is programmed into one or more sheets in my workbook.

Post-race, I gather information on all of the winners - inspired by Schwartz's product "How to Figure Out What Wins" - in an effort to see which factors actually push winners to the top.

I knew virtually no Excel before I began playing with programming all of the above into my workbook. While my handicapping is still not profitable - yet! - my Excel understanding is showing great strides thanks to YouTube and the Interwebs.

mikesal57
05-09-2019, 05:31 PM
Excel is indeed a powerful tool for handicapping. I've used Raybo's Black Box in the past. It worked to some degree but I wanted to take a more "hands on" approach to my handicapping.

So, at the moment, I'm using a combination of the following in my Excel workbook:

Dave Shwartzy's 1-2-3 System
The moves from Jim Lehane's Calibration Handicapping
Angles from Mark Cramer's Thoroughbred Cycles
A methodology for finding false favourites from Roger LeBlanc's recent book, "The Punter's Tale"
The 4+30 approach pioneered by Ed Bain
Pandy's ESR and Pace Shape Spot Play approach
Fotias' New Pace Top and related concepts
a few other bits and pieces

Each one of the above is programmed into one or more sheets in my workbook.

Post-race, I gather information on all of the winners - inspired by Schwartz's product "How to Figure Out What Wins" - in an effort to see which factors actually push winners to the top.

I knew virtually no Excel before I began playing with programming all of the above into my workbook. While my handicapping is still not profitable - yet! - my Excel understanding is showing great strides thanks to YouTube and the Interwebs.

I agree Kru...YouTube along with MrExcel forum pretty much solved whatever I was looking for....
As for your LIST's.....too much info !!!

I'm sure that you must have numerous horses in each race that those systems give you......Maybe you hope they all land on the same horse....
Forget it......if it did ...bet the house!!

I'm sure you can focus on maybe 2 or 3 and just concentrate on those...

Mike

Krudler
05-09-2019, 11:25 PM
You're bang on! TMI is the problem.

That's where I use the post-race analysis to figure out what factors actually point to winners. When I've got that sorted, I can ignore the noise and focus on the signal.

hyipro
05-10-2019, 08:22 AM
I have been using pro handicap wizard product for the last few months and working with the developer to make some product enhancements, which he has done
very timely. Really has helped me up my game and added an extra layer
of credibility to my own selections. Second time out I was able to hit
11 exacta's out of 21 races played and had a very nice up day. Very
easy to use. I would highly recommend to the group. Glad I purchased
it. Well worth the small price.

mikesal57
05-10-2019, 08:41 AM
I have been using pro handicap wizard product for the last few months and working with the developer to make some product enhancements, which he has done

Are these enhancements being shared to everyone or just you?

Do you understand the mechanics of its selections?
Is it unique?

From what I see, theres speed figs, early , late .......

$75 isnt bad....

Mike

Light
05-10-2019, 12:20 PM

Huh? This same exact post was posted by you on 12/18/18. You are still stuck on 11 exactas out of 21 plays???? If it was so good you would have updated your stats.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148439&page=2

mikesal57
05-10-2019, 12:44 PM
Huh? This same exact post was posted by you on 12/18/18. You are still stuck on 11 exactas out of 21 plays???? If it was so good you would have updated your stats.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148439&page=2

OMG!!!!

Unbelievable!!!!!

the balls people have....

JJMartin
05-14-2019, 02:26 PM
It would be nice if Timeform would produce a comma delimited version for software.

mikesal57
05-14-2019, 02:34 PM
It would be nice if Timeform would produce a comma delimited version for software.

Contact CJ and ask him...I'm sure he wont turn away extra money :)

JJMartin
05-28-2019, 12:46 PM

Is it unique?

$75 isnt bad....

Mike

I am the co-author and programmer of PHW, but not the originator. Because of my VBA skills, I was able to make some significant contributions but I am not the sole proprietor of it. That being said, I did not ask anyone to mention it but since they did, I can answer some questions about it but only if it is ok with PA Mike.

PaceAdvantage
05-28-2019, 01:17 PM
go for it

JJMartin
05-28-2019, 01:28 PM
go for it

Thanks Mike. :ThmbUp:

JJMartin
05-28-2019, 02:04 PM

Is it unique?

$75 isnt bad....

Mike

The enhancements are for everyone. The engine is a Monte Carlo algorithm applied to overall speed and fractional speed where applicable. Exponential smoothing is further applied with a higher weight given to the most recent figures. The process is fully automated with single data files as the data source. Still working on a possible live odds module for the future.

JJMartin
06-08-2019, 11:01 PM
Well, if I may say so we hit the Belmont Stakes Trifecta box and had the top 3 finish order straight in the SPD category.
You can view it here (Belmont PDF):
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152692

098poi
06-09-2019, 01:04 AM
Well, if I may say so we hit the Belmont Stakes Trifecta box and had the top 3 finish order straight in the SPD category.
You can view it here (Belmont PDF):
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152692

You may say so!! :ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

jim michalak
06-09-2019, 09:10 AM
nice work on the Belmont! j.j. do you write software for handicapping spot plays? I have several spot plays that I would like programmed and am looking for a programmer.:) thanks.

JJMartin
06-09-2019, 12:35 PM
nice work on the Belmont! j.j. do you write software for handicapping spot plays? I have several spot plays that I would like programmed and am looking for a programmer.:) thanks.

I only program in VBA (Excel), if that is ok with you I might be able to help.

Gakiss2
06-23-2019, 02:43 AM
I have been working on a handicapping Excel file as well. I sometimes enjoy working on that more than betting horses (did I just say that out loud). My approach isn't so much to come up with a magical formula for finding winners. I try to present the information in 'views' that look at part of the whole picture one 'view' at a time. EG One view looks at situational stats that Bris provides. One view looks at Bris pedigree scores. Another view looks at the PP lines. And another looks at Form over time. I'd like to develop a view that looks at the pace picture as well. The handicapper can then use the 'views' that he/ she wants to come up with their own selection. The only 'Magic Number' are the Bris numbers that you get with the $1 data.

I would love to compare notes if you are interested.
:coffee:

Snively
01-13-2020, 07:27 PM
Krudler, I'd love to see that workbook, especially the Ed Bain sheet.

chuckster1968
01-27-2020, 01:19 PM
Hi, my name is Chuck and I have been recently experimenting with Google Sheets, to create my own type of system. My question, is I have no idea on what I am doing in terms of math and programming. My first question is. Can Brisnet files or drf files be scanned into Google Sheets or Excel and be programmed to pull out variables or say handicapping factors that the user extracts when he makes a decision in his process. Any help would be greatly helpful. And in the easiest terms possible.

Sincerely,

Chuck

Tom
01-27-2020, 04:28 PM
You need to get the comma delimited files, and then you can import them into Excel. BRIS has a list of all the fields in their files on their website.

http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/static.cgi?page=structures

Trackmaster also has comma files you can use.
TFUS too, but I am not familiar with them.

Mulerider
01-27-2020, 06:05 PM
Hi, my name is Chuck and I have been recently experimenting with Google Sheets, to create my own type of system. My question, is I have no idea on what I am doing in terms of math and programming. My first question is. Can Brisnet files or drf files be scanned into Google Sheets or Excel and be programmed to pull out variables or say handicapping factors that the user extracts when he makes a decision in his process. Any help would be greatly helpful. And in the easiest terms possible.

Sincerely,

Chuck

Yes, you can import data files into Excel and Google Sheets.

You can also write macros for both. However, to the best of my knowledge you can't export an Excel file to Google Sheets and expect your Excel VBA macros to function, at least not without some work.

chuckster1968
01-28-2020, 03:50 PM
Anybody use google sheets.