PDA

View Full Version : Johnny V.

Valuist
10-03-2004, 10:08 AM
He may be a good go-against today. He could very well be jet lagged after the past two days:

Friday: ride at Belmont in the afternoon. Get on a plane for Indy and ride in the big stakes there that night. After the Indy race he flew back to New York.
Saturday: Once again, ride at Belmont, get back on a plane for Indy to ride Pollards Vision (who barely showed up) then fly back to New York.

Angel is keeping him busy.

cj
10-03-2004, 10:22 AM
Dominguez is really starting to assert himself in New York. He could be right there with Prado and JV as the best in NY very soon. All three are better than anything in SoCal right now.

On a different note, what in the world has happened to Jorge Chavez?

Valuist
10-03-2004, 11:01 AM
I thought I heard Chop Chop changed agents once or twice this year.

Agree on Dominguez. SoCal has been down since all the legends retired but Rene Douglas has been on fire since he came over from AP. I don't expect to see him back at AP next year. And Gomez is back and he's pretty talented when he's clean.

CapperLou
10-03-2004, 11:16 AM
Good info----I agree with both of you--Keep your eye on Rene especially on those turf races when Cory is not riding.

All the best,

CapperLou

CapperLou
10-07-2004, 09:50 PM
Rene Douglas had a $30 odd dollar winner yesterday and today

He Had THREE Winners----two chalk and in the last race at SAX-

A 53.20 Bomb!!!!!

Keep your eyes on him---he is going to make a lot of money in So Cal and so will you if you follow him carefully.

All the best,

CapperLou

Suff
10-08-2004, 06:27 PM
with the addition Of Corn-Holio Velasquez and Dominquz.... the NYRA colony has never been more competitive. You see guys Like Samyn and Gryder getting Pinched for mounts.... Even Bridgmoahan and Chavez are working hard for mounts. Castellano has really Muscled himself on to the Big stage. Usually he bides his time until the Big Boys head to Florida, But he's been riding so well the last year or so that he makes it hard not to use him. He's 3rd in Total Mounts and IMHO is riding as good as he ever has.

CapperLou
10-08-2004, 07:20 PM
Good to see you posting Suff!!! How about those Red Sox!!!!

Javier has really come into his own as you say this past year and your comments on Samyn, Gryder etc are right on money.

Fragoso is still improving and will get better over the next year or so!!! Yes--it is very competitive in NY.

Douglas was smart to go to CA and Dominguez was smart to come to NY--will enjoy seeing it all play out.

Chop Chop is in a sorry state of affairs now--changing of agents more than once tells how frustrated he must be. Jerry won't be there anymore soon and Edgar & Johnny will "own" the place-----just like Rene in Chicagoland. I think Rene is going to own a piece of So Cal very soon. He and Cory are much better riders than anyone else out there right now.

Look what time does----ole Mike Smith and ole Kent!!!!!

All the best,

CapperLou

P.S. I forgot to mention that Victor (I'm going 3-4 wide on the turn) Espinoza is still there--but he ain't getting any of my money.

Suff
10-08-2004, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by CapperLou
Good to see you posting Suff!!! How about those Red Sox!!!!

6-1 lead in the 7th inning... They give up a single run then a Grand Slam to Guerro to tie the game. Ugh. I'm nibbling on my fingernails and Smoking cigarettes one after another. Is nothing easy with this Team?

JPinMaryland
10-10-2004, 01:37 AM
4 winners for Johnny V today at belmont. But alas, atop Storm Flag Flying he could not stop the Sightseek express in the 9th. Unbettable race anyhow, trifecta paid $8 the crowd laughed when the exacta and trifecta payouts were shown.

CapperLou
10-10-2004, 02:03 AM
Yes----another 4 winner day this week for Johnny V.--"Just the Best" as I mentioned in a thread I posted this week!!!

I loved the ride on Proud Accolade and I loved the price--I made what I call a "Double Advantage" play--double the usual bet. Gosh--did Johnny ever give this one a heck of a ride.

Yep---he is the best---and when in question---always go with the high percentage trainer or jockey or combo.

Don't ever forget this game is about MONEY---not handicapping in the pure sense and the same owners and trainers and jockeys always win most of the high purse races.

All the best,

CapperLou

P.S. Johnny is just riding at a higher level than the others--it's just like when Cornelio was riding at CRC a couple of years ago--he too was heads and shoulders above the rest!!!

cj
10-10-2004, 06:15 AM
His winners paid $3.60, 5.00, 5.40, and 6.80. Its not like he's bringing in surprise horses. I think others are nearly as good or even as good, and offer better value for sure.

Oh, and not to mention, the big boys were all at Keeneland yesterday, not Belmont, so he probably should win four races.

I'm certainly not saying he isn't a good rider, I just wouldn't get too carried away. I don't think he is any better than a few others in NY right now.

JPinMaryland
10-10-2004, 07:44 AM
Well he also brought in Ready's Gal to place in the 6th race. So if you are going to count winnings then you may as well count that one as well too. Since we all measure success in terms of dollars earned it would only make sense to throw that into the pot as well, since it would be absurd to toss a relevant data pt.

of course you could argue that that one probably paid $3.80 or whatever it was. But didnt that morning line start at 6-1 and drop to 5-2? So what can you say? As soon as JVee starts hitting then his own payouts are going to drop.

So that seems like a hard argument to make against him.

BTW: Arent you the one always suggesting to bet the chalk? So the winners pay out like normal chalk horses. What else would you expect?

Or do they? Are his winners really so stingy on payouts? What is the average payout for a winner at BEL? Arent you the guys always arguing that "chalk wins more races than you think," "payouts are less than you think", "we are only trying to make 10% ROI", "look for value", etc."

So if all that is true. Wouldnt you be able to cite what is average payout of a winning horse? Isnt that one of those facts at your fingertips you guys have like, "Less than 5-1 horses win 80% of the time."

CapperLou
10-10-2004, 09:48 AM
I only played Proud Accolade of his four yesterday. The other prices were too short. I am not a chalk player---except on certain days or weeks when I'm testing something out and use a small bankroll.

And oh---I never get carried away with anything--I learned a long time ago (fortunately) that in this world one cannot do that and be successful----in any endeavour over a period of time.

Yes, the other "big guys" were out of town and I do respect Prado, Dominguez, & I still like Santos on front runners especially.

I finally won a bet on Bejarano--I liked Consolidator in the Lanes' End very much and boy oh boy was the price right. He gave that one a hell of a ride too. Very confident rider--and my ole buddy Wayne was tickled pink with good reason.

Ended the Day at Keeneland with one of my best bets of day--Let It Thunder who got away at 4-1 and won easily by 4 lengths.

All the best,

CapperLou

the little guy
10-10-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by CapperLou
I only played Proud Accolade of his four yesterday. The other prices were too short. I am not a chalk player---except on certain days or weeks when I'm testing something out and use a small bankroll.

And oh---I never get carried away with anything--I learned a long time ago (fortunately) that in this world one cannot do that and be successful----in any endeavour over a period of time.

Yes, the other "big guys" were out of town and I do respect Prado, Dominguez, & I still like Santos on front runners especially.

I finally won a bet on Bejarano--I liked Consolidator in the Lanes' End very much and boy oh boy was the price right. He gave that one a hell of a ride too. Very confident rider--and my ole buddy Wayne was tickled pink with good reason.

Ended the Day at Keeneland with one of my best bets of day--Let It Thunder who got away at 4-1 and won easily by 4 lengths.

All the best,

CapperLou Just out of curiosity, since your opinion is obviously close to flawless, where do you give out these gems BEFORE the races?

CapperLou
10-10-2004, 10:34 AM
To: "the little guy"

I sensed a degree of your feeelings in a post by you on another thread about me. I guess I was right---lol!!

These "gems" as you call them are given out to a few of my friends at the track whenever I'm there. And you obviously are not a very sophisticated individual to refer to my selections as "flawless".

If I had the above qualities---I would be doing a show on television like The Apprentice and would not be here sometimes "boasting" and trying to learn more from others on this board.

You sound like a lot of envious guys out there who enable some of us to actually beat this game some years.

Put some water in you wine little guy and smile if you can and have a nice and profitable day!!!!

All the best,

CapperLou

P.S. You are welcome to come to CRC and play my picks at any time!!! I'm not known as a selfish guy---fortunately I do not have to be---there is enough money at the races for everybody--and that includes you!!! That's all I have to say little guy. No mas!!!!

cj
10-10-2004, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by JPinMaryland

BTW: Arent you the one always suggesting to bet the chalk? So the winners pay out like normal chalk horses. What else would you expect?

If you are talking about me, absolutely not. The complete opposite, actually. If I think the chalk horse is best, I pass the race.

the little guy
10-10-2004, 10:51 AM
Actually, CapperLou, unlike you I do in fact do a show on television where, also unlike you, I give out opinions before the races are run.

I am not envious, just tired of reading on the internet how smart people are after races have been run. There is no shame in giving out opinions before races on horses that end up losing ( and often even running lousy ) as even the best of us lose much more often than we win.

CapperLou
10-10-2004, 12:07 PM
Well------Since you are unlike me and so many others--

Why don't you let us know who you are and where we can watch you on TV and get your picks. That would be great!!

And--if you are tired of reading posts on this board by some of us who have some degree of success---then I might suggest that you not read the posts since they bother you.

I understand where you are coming from, but as I said you might want to put some water in your wine. Calm down and enjoy life and the races!!!

I hope you let us know where to watch you on TV!!!

All the best,

CapperLou

P.S. I'm off to the races now--hope you have a good day!!!!

the little guy
10-10-2004, 12:19 PM
As accomplished a redboarder as yourself shouldn't have much trouble figuring out, on this site, what microscopic racing personality I am.

By the way, I loved the passive agressive " calm down ". Nice touch.

I look forward to hearing about all your winners later today. Good luck.

JPinMaryland
10-10-2004, 03:20 PM
CJ: okay fair pt. But what about the gist of my question: why cant you just look up the average payout on winners and compare to that of Valsquez, since that that is your pt. and the data should be available?

Valuist
10-11-2004, 10:05 AM
Great ride by Johnny V in the Champagne. As the field turned for home, he locked Afleet Alex in for just long enough for his horse to open up a 2 length lead while AA would have to switch lanes to come get him. He may get good mounts but there is a reason he does.