PDA

View Full Version : FUNNY CIDE!

Bubbles
10-02-2004, 06:04 PM
Gotta love him. Just stays consistent and always puts in a good effort. His win today wasn't incredible, but the effort got the job done.

Any guesses on the Beyer? I'd give him something in the neighborhood of a 107. It was a decent-looking triumph, but that time (2:02 and 2/5) was a little slow.

Zaf
10-02-2004, 06:06 PM
YESSSSSSSSSSSS :D :D :D :D :D

ZAFONIC

CryingForTheHorses
10-02-2004, 07:34 PM
Im glad he won, I didnt see the race as I was out octoberfesting on Hollywood beach..A rare weekend where we didnt have a hurricane to hide from

Binder
10-02-2004, 07:44 PM
Wow
Another great racing moment for me
I thought he was finished after battling
Love of Money the whole race
It looked good for Newfoundland for a second but what heart by The Gutsy Gelding
Way to go FUNNY CIDE .

Storm Cadet
10-02-2004, 07:50 PM
What a great day of racing at Belmont....capped off by Funny Cide...the crowd all was standing as FC and Santos came back to winners circle...their NY hero WON and the crowd really appreciated it with many loud cheers for Tagg and Santos. Great feeling...

Buddha
10-02-2004, 08:05 PM
That was a very gutsy and impressive run by FC. With his rankness/desire to runn off, I was surprised to see him around in front at the finish line. He literally took leads from Love Of Money 3-4 times to be sucked back by Santos to take the lead again, and in the stretch I thought that he was done, and finally made one last run to catch them and win. Bravo FC

IRISHLADSTABLE
10-02-2004, 09:22 PM
He might not have balls but he sure as hell has a Hugh Heart

Gutsy win today by Funny Cide

Jimmy

Zaf
10-02-2004, 10:11 PM
FC was a 1 horse entry. He bolted out & softened the early speed (Love of Money), then he settled a bit off the pace, and went by em in the stretch.

Sounds like the story of Creme de la Fete that Joe Cardello told at the DRF seminar.

ZAFONIC

Buckeye
10-02-2004, 11:18 PM
You don't just win the Derby and Preakness for nothing,

It's called "quality"

and he showed some of that today.

Durkin said as they approached the 8th pole, "Funny Cide is stopping . . ."

I don't think he heard that!

PaceAdvantage
10-03-2004, 12:12 AM
That was quite the adventurous trip Funny Cide had in the JCGC. He may have won, but I don't think Santos did him any favors trip-wise.

I was very pleased to see him win, despite Santos.

That's all I'm gonna say.

TOOZ
10-03-2004, 06:58 AM
Chalk up a W for loyalty. The best part of the story is that they put Santos right back up on him after his arm healed and didn't use the typical replace the jockey because the horse hasn't won excuse (A.K.A Nick Zito). When they interviewed Santos after the race it sounded he knew the horse so well that when he saw Cliff coming on the outside he knew Cide didn't like to be between horses so he pushed the button. The owner was very gracious to trainer and rider after the race also. Nice to see some class get back in the dog eat dog racing game.

cj
10-03-2004, 07:02 AM
I've said all along this horse was a 1 1/4 horse and that I thought he would win a G1 given the right circumstances. I picked him on my site as my best bet yesterday, and he didn't let me down.

That said, I was cursing Santos for 90% of the race! :D

How many people really thought he could outkick The Cliff's Edge down the lane when he drew even turning for home?

stuball
10-03-2004, 08:54 AM
*****HE HAS BALLS*****

Stuball

Bubbles
10-03-2004, 09:13 AM
Chalk another vote for the anti-Santos people. Going around the turn, I yell to my dad, "He needs a new rider."

Lesson learned.

BIG RED
10-03-2004, 12:48 PM
Was over a freinds house and watched the races on ESPN. Only thing I said was I hope FUNNY CIDE wins. Was real happy for him.

CryingForTheHorses
10-03-2004, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Storm Cadet
What a great day of racing at Belmont....capped off by Funny Cide...the crowd all was standing as FC and Santos came back to winners circle...their NY hero WON and the crowd really appreciated it with many loud cheers for Tagg and Santos. Great feeling...

As a horseowner yourself, Im sure you had a tear.

JustRalph
10-03-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by cj
I've said all along this horse was a 1 1/4 horse and that I thought he would win a G1 given the right circumstances. I picked him on my site as my best bet yesterday, and he didn't let me down.

That said, I was cursing Santos for 90% of the race! :D

How many people really thought he could outkick The Cliff's Edge down the lane when he drew even turning for home?

Looks like the cliff's edge broke his foot or leg during the race............retired.............via bloodhorse..........

Zaf
10-03-2004, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by cj

Not too shabby either with your top figure hoss winning the Indiana Derby at 10-1. Nice !

ZAFONIC

cj
10-03-2004, 02:20 PM
The best part about Funny Cide is that his best year should be next year, or maybe even the one after that. He could make a lot of cash.

Zaf
10-03-2004, 02:27 PM
As I said earlier , it is nice to have a champion older horse that is still running !!!

ZAFONIC

IRISHLADSTABLE
10-03-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by cj
The best part about Funny Cide is that his best year should be next year, or maybe even the one after that. He could make a lot of cash.

Funny Cide is like a fine wine he will get Better with age

Jimmy

Tom
10-03-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by IRISHLADSTABLE
Funny Cide is like a fine wine he will get Better with age

Jimmy

....as long you keep him chilled!;)

Storm Cadet
10-03-2004, 06:54 PM
quote:Originally posted by Storm Cadet

I was standing and jumping for Funny Cide...a side note...in the 2002 NY State $100,000 Bongard Stakes for 2 YO males my horse Storm Cadet was the ML and PT favorite...who beat him in his final race before SC died in a training accident ..you guessed it... FUNNY CIDE...so I am a HUGE fan of his!!!

Ron

kingfin66
10-04-2004, 12:02 AM
It's great to see that everyone is unanimous in their praise of this great horse. He may not be the greatest horse ever, but he is damned good. In my opinion, the worst blemishes on his record were caused by his connections. They were all smiles yesterday, but they had no business starting him the Classic last year. When he's in good form, he is sure tough to beat. Hopefully, he came out of the race in good shape and give his true "gutty" performance in this year's Classic.

CryingForTheHorses
10-04-2004, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Storm Cadet
quote:Originally posted by Storm Cadet

I was standing and jumping for Funny Cide...a side note...in the 2002 NY State $100,000 Bongard Stakes for 2 YO males my horse Storm Cadet was the ML and PT favorite...who beat him in his final race before SC died in a training accident ..you guessed it... FUNNY CIDE...so I am a HUGE fan of his!!!

Ron

OMG I never knew that,Very sorry for your loss, I do hope have gotten another 1

Suff
10-04-2004, 05:32 PM
Now that we see Cliffs Edge came up lame... And it is safe to say NEW FOUNDLAND was backing up.... My take is this.

Over Rated Victory. Cliffs edge would have stormed on by and won by 2-4 lengths, New foundland would have backed up to third and Funnycide would have benefited by a weak field and "hung" for 2nd.

But... as a positive. It should help my Price in the classic when I go Off Funnycide.

I love Funnycide, But I call um like I see um.

BillW
10-04-2004, 05:37 PM
Has anyone timed the finish of this race? I watched the replay today with thought of seeing where TCE brokedown and didn't see anything. I wonder if the stopwatch tells a different story.

Bill

plainolebill
10-04-2004, 06:33 PM
I didn't see the gallop out and maybe something did go wrong with TCE but I'm a little cynical about this. Seems like every time a horse with any kind of breeding value comes up short there was a 'problem' (translation: lets get this horse off the track while he still has some value).

It's not very often do you hear the connections of that kind of horse say 'we just weren't good enough today'.

CryingForTheHorses
10-04-2004, 07:08 PM
I heard he fractured his cannonbone above the ankle, Not life threating. Is going to be operated on very soon

plainolebill
10-04-2004, 07:21 PM
Yeah, I just read more about it, my mistake.

Someone posted on another board that FC got 112 beyer for the race. Just a little improvement and he's in the picture at the BC.

Bubbles
10-04-2004, 07:32 PM
112 might be a little high. The time, 2:02 2/5, wasn't exactly mind-boggling, and, while his effort was gutsy, keep in mind one of his main rivals (Love of Money) was burnt on the front end, while the other (The Cliff's Edge) may have been running on three legs.

Like I said, I think 107 may have been more suitable. To each his own, I guess...

JustRalph
10-04-2004, 08:34 PM
I think the real thing I like about FC, is that when he is right and ready, he is always a factor. I know he has backed up badly a few times. But when he is good he is always a factor. I agree with Suff. He will be an underlay in the Classic and smart players know he will have to have everything go right for him to be factor. The crowd he beat last weekend will look like a 10k claimer at Classic time.

CryingForTheHorses
10-05-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by McSchell_Racing
I heard he fractured his cannonbone above the ankle, Not life threating. Is going to be operated on very soon

by Steve Haskin
Date Posted: 10/4/2004 12:50:55 PM
Last Updated: 10/5/2004 1:28:41 PM

Robert LaPenta's The Cliff's Edge, who suffered a fracture of the right front ankle during the running of the Oct. 2 Jockey Club Gold Cup (gr. 1), underwant successful surgery the morning of the Oct. 4 at the New Jersey Equine Clinic.

Veterinarian Patricia Hogan , who performed the surgery, said the son of Gulch suffered a eisplaced condylar fracture of the right front leg which required three screws.

"He has an exellent prognosis for breeding," Hogan said. "Hee's very lucky he didn't do any more damage. Nick (Zito) asked me to keep him here for two weeks. I didn't need to medially, but he just wanted him to stay until the stitches come out. We have a farm here, so he'll stay with us, then ship to Vinery.

"He's a gorgeous horse, and he weighed 1,136 pounds, which I thought was pretty good considering the campaign he's had. The joint inside was in good shape and he had really nice cartliage. The fracture was the only abnormality."

"Patty said hi's going to have a good life," Zito said. "What a shame this was. Can you imagine the one-two punch we could have had in the Breeder's cup Classic (Powered by Dodge-gr.1) with Cliff and Birdstone? He was such a tough consistent horse. I haven't even been able to sleep the last couple of nights. It has been like a morgue here at the bar. We all miss him so much."

Hogan is the same Veterinarian who treated Smarty Jones when the colt was sent there after suffering fractures of his eye socket and skull in a starting-gate mishap when he was a 2-year old.

Copyright@2004 The Blood-Horse, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Thought I would share this story

Bubbles
10-05-2004, 05:29 PM
Thanks for sharing. Geez, sounds like this year's 3YO's are cursed. Smarty, Lion Heart, and Cliff all getting hurt. It's eery.

PaceAdvantage
10-05-2004, 05:52 PM
Hmmmm...and not one of them trained by D. Wayne Lukas....yet, the bashers don't bash.....how quaint....LOL

Bubbles
10-05-2004, 05:59 PM
PA...

They're waiting to see if Azeri loses the Distaff. They're saving their bashing for then.

cj
10-06-2004, 02:57 AM
I thought Azeri was pointing to the Classic?

PaceAdvantage
10-06-2004, 05:08 AM
Originally posted by cj
I thought Azeri was pointing to the Classic?

Now that would DESERVE some bashing, unless by some miracle of miracles, she actually ran a competitive race....

I've been a staunch Lukas/Paulson supporter when it comes to Azeri, but a run in the Classic is silly in my opinion, simply because she has no real shot at winning.

BIG RED
10-06-2004, 12:35 PM
Hope she does run, she'll take some money.

CryingForTheHorses
10-06-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage
Hmmmm...and not one of them trained by D. Wayne Lukas....yet, the bashers don't bash.....how quaint....LOL

I guess when you lose a good horse, no matter what the cause...Thats bashing enough

PaceAdvantage
10-06-2004, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by McSchell_Racing
I guess when you lose a good horse, no matter what the cause...Thats bashing enough

too bad Lukas bashers don't think like you do. It's obvious every trainer has injuries, many of them career ending, some life ending.