PDA

View Full Version : Del Mar newbie

SG4
05-01-2019, 10:17 AM
Hoping to get myself to Del Mar for a weekend this summer, can I get some tips from those who've been there before? Best places to stay, eat, non-racing things to do etc? Only have 2 days so hoping to pack in as much as possible, thanks

elhelmete
05-01-2019, 04:57 PM
Hoping to get myself to Del Mar for a weekend this summer, can I get some tips from those who've been there before? Best places to stay, eat, non-racing things to do etc? Only have 2 days so hoping to pack in as much as possible, thanks

Opening weekend or not?

Roughly speaking, your hotel/lodging budget?

I can share a bunch knowing that.

SG4
05-02-2019, 12:48 AM
Opening weekend or not?

Roughly speaking, your hotel/lodging budget?

I can share a bunch knowing that.

First weekend in August. My budget? Let's see how Derby day goes first. j/k - I don't need a fancy place to stay, but someplace respectable & well located would be main desires

elhelmete
05-02-2019, 12:27 PM
First weekend in August. My budget? Let's see how Derby day goes first. j/k - I don't need a fancy place to stay, but someplace respectable & well located would be main desires

I've been going down for 2, sometimes 3 weekends a year since about 2012. The lodging landscape has morphed a bit in that span.
Some hotels will require a 2 sometimes even 3 night minimum.
I would not wait much longer to book.
The Hilton is the most convenient (walkable) and is a perfectly nice place. You might be in the $300s a night at this point.
The Holiday Inn and Courtyard up on Hwy 101 are also perfectly nice properties, not as resort-y as the Hilton, but totally fine for a weekend visit to the track. I'd check very soon on availability.
Off-season we've been at the Indigo which would also be just fine. It's sort of a refurbished mid-century motel with a cool factor.

I did AirBnBs for a few years and got some amazing deals, like trackside and/or beach view for under $100/night. Then it seemed like around 2 or 3 years ago those deal disappeared and the rates and minimum nights got ridiculous.
There are cheap options north of Del Mar on the 5 (like perfectly clean but basic Motel 6s).
If you're flush, are traveling with the missus, there's a very nice inn just inland in RSF, 'The Inn at RSF'. Or L'Auberge right there in Del Mar (good luck getting in, but who knows.)

Pre-races (post time is at 2, Fridays I think at 3) I love a run or swim on the beaches north of Solana Beach up toward Encinitas. Then breakfast at a place like Claire's (crowded), Naked Cafe, or something lighter walking around Cedros Ave. Torrey Pines has some awesome easy hikes.
Apres races, the restaurants and nightlife abound. Wife and I usually like dinner in one place and a nightcap in another. All are a very short uber from the track/hotels, some walkable.
Dinner joints we've enjoyed: Pacifica, Jake's, Market, Dolce Pan et Vino. The classic places are fine too: Red Tracton's, The Brigantine. Kinda iconic.
The strip mall near the Courtyard and Holiday Inn has an amazing Thai food joint and a very good sammich place. Tony's Jacal is supposed to have very good Mexican, but have regrettably not made it there.
Out in RSF there's a very romantic French joint, Mille Fleur.

Nightcap joints: Jimmy O's (fun dive), Il Fornaio wine bar deck, and a new brewery out on the lagoon right across from the track. Really any restaurant will usually have a good bar.
Encinitas has a ton of stuff too, too much to list. That's close, but not walkable.
Liberty Tobacco (on the other side of the 5) is a great place to have a cigar, and they usually have sports and TVG on.
More later...LMK if you have specific questions.

GMB@BP
05-02-2019, 11:57 PM
Jake's Del Mar

Afleet
05-03-2019, 12:38 AM
you dont want to go to commiefornia

SG4
05-04-2019, 12:24 AM
Thanks for all the info, good stuff

SG4
08-14-2019, 08:48 AM
I ended up coming home with 2 clubhouse passes good til the end of the meet, private message me if anyone's interested & hopefully I can mail them out while still useful.

GBL
08-14-2019, 12:29 PM

Expect to pay $14 for beer.