PDA

View Full Version : Article on Maloney?

linrom1
04-30-2019, 04:06 AM
https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/horses/kentucky-derby/2019/04/29/kentucky-derby-2019-horseplayer-mike-maloney-one-best/3436965002/

He’s given a large, windowless office in which to work. It has a refrigerator, his own wagering machine and a large desk

When do they cut tote access for this guy? We need fixed-odds wagering to level the field. The industry is making everything possible to help these guys rob parimutuel bettors!

the little guy
04-30-2019, 06:44 AM
https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/horses/kentucky-derby/2019/04/29/kentucky-derby-2019-horseplayer-mike-maloney-one-best/3436965002/

He’s given a large, windowless office in which to work. It has a refrigerator, his own wagering machine and a large desk

When do they cut tote access for this guy? We need fixed-odds wagering to level the field. The industry is making everything possible to help these guys rob parimutuel bettors!

We have you to level the field for the rest of us.

baconswitchfarm
04-30-2019, 08:15 AM

I'm in the next office. We have six offices in a row. two are empty . Come out and bring your money . Then you'll be a professional too because you'll have a large desk and a fridge.

Tom
04-30-2019, 09:51 AM
Shut up and bet.

linrom1
04-30-2019, 10:10 AM
I'm in the next office. We have six offices in a row. two are empty . Come out and bring your money . Then you'll be a professional too because you'll have a large desk and a fridge.

What a cesspool parimutuel wagering must had been during late '90s and early decade this era? We know now that one could wager past post; have tote operators create winning tickets; hide wagering machines so they could not be inspected and accounted for and own your own tote company.

Now that's an edge. Do you guys still offer those deals?

Redboard
04-30-2019, 10:14 AM
Guys like Maloney are tight-lipped about their betting. First of all, he doesn’t mention anything about rebates, if it weren’t for rebates, I believe, he’d be in the red; second, he doesn’t say anything about which tracks he plays, probably raids the pools of minor tracks; third he doesn’t mention anything about what type of bets he makes. Things that handicappers would like to know.

metro
04-30-2019, 10:28 AM
Guys like Maloney are tight-lipped about their betting. First of all, he doesn’t mention anything about rebates, if it weren’t for rebates, I believe, he’d be in the red; second, he doesn’t say anything about which tracks he plays, probably raids the pools of minor tracks; third he doesn’t mention anything about what type of bets he makes. Things that handicappers would like to know.

Tight lipped? He wrote a book outlying exactly how he plays the races!

Like most successful gamblers guys like Mike play where they have an edge. Sure his focus will be on Churchill come Friday and Saturday but if he sees that there is a bias at another track (major or minor), he will be all over it.

baconswitchfarm
04-30-2019, 10:55 AM
Tight lipped? He wrote a book outlying exactly how he plays the races!

Like most successful gamblers guys like Mike play where they have an edge. Sure his focus will be on Churchill come Friday and Saturday but if he sees that there is a bias at another track (major or minor), he will be all over it.

He is the most comfortable out in the public eye person of any of the real professional guys I know.

jahura2
04-30-2019, 01:05 PM
I've known Mike well for over 45 years. I can tell you there is no bigger advocate for the horseplayer than him. He started out scratching out profits in the early 70's then took his game to another level. No one works harder than Mike and no one supports the every day player more than Mike does.
It cracks me up when people make assumptions about a winning player when they dont know the person at all. Tight lipped? as Metro so astutely pointed out Mike was willing to write a book about his process, the problem is its too much work for most people but its out there for all to read. Despite the fact that he has left most of us all behind he is still honest as the day is long and really is a true horseplayer and fan like most of us. But unlike most of us he is on another level. Dont be snide or jealous of him, try to learn from him and his habits.

Robert Fischer
04-30-2019, 02:11 PM
https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...st/3436965002/

maybe if you get some suckers in a room together, you could convince them that this was why they were losing, and you could drum up some business

but when it's your serious opinion...
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/6o0b_Qaoyxo/hqdefault.jpg

thaskalos
04-30-2019, 02:38 PM
At my local OTB, they'll give you your own private room with a desk and a betting machine...and all you have to do is bet about $50 a race. And if you flash them a fat bankroll, not only can you get a refrigerator...they'll throw in the microwave oven too. :ThmbUp:

the little guy
04-30-2019, 04:15 PM
You have jumped the shark when you criticize Mike Maloney. If only the world was made up of more people like him.

thaskalos
04-30-2019, 04:58 PM

Don't hate...CONGRATULATE! The man is a role model...not a villain.

linrom1
04-30-2019, 09:26 PM
Don't hate...CONGRATULATE! The man is a role model...not a villain.

I don't care for guys like that; I don't care for guys that work for Wall Street either.

If some guys here look up to guys like that, I think that perhaps they suffer from Stockholm Syndrome or some sort of dementia.

AndyC
04-30-2019, 09:50 PM
I don't care for guys like that; I don't care for guys that work for Wall Street either.

If some guys here look up to guys like that, I think that perhaps they suffer from Stockholm Syndrome or some sort of dementia.

You beg the question, guys like what?

the little guy
04-30-2019, 10:02 PM
You beg the question, guys like what?

I assumed he meant smart, kind, and generous. I mean, he must know Mike to talk about him the way he does.

thaskalos
04-30-2019, 10:19 PM

When we gathered on the playground as kids to play baseball...we dreamt of being the next Mickey Mantle, or Tom Seaver. And as we got older and gravitated to the racetrack...we now dream of becoming like Mike Maloney. How can that be bad?

baconswitchfarm
04-30-2019, 10:34 PM
I don't care for guys like that

He means successful.

Tom
05-01-2019, 09:09 AM
When we gathered on the playground as kids to play baseball...we dreamt of being the next Mickey Mantle, or Tom Seaver. And as we got older and gravitated to the racetrack...we now dream of becoming like Mike Maloney. How can that be bad?

Mickey and Tom never played AGAINST us in our games? :rolleyes:

thaskalos
05-01-2019, 01:13 PM
Mickey and Tom never played AGAINST us in our games? :rolleyes:

What you say is true, Tom...but don't forget that there are a great many players out there who may be saying this exact same thing about you and I. Gambling is, after all, "survival of the fittest". Mahoney isn't an incorporated "whale"...he is just a dedicated, tireless worker who plays a lone hand. And I have nothing but respect for that...even though I'd prefer that his money weren't in the pools. His active presence may make our game even tougher to beat...but it doesn't displease me to know that people like him are out there. Even a grizzled, paranoid gambler like me needs a role model from time to time...

Robert Fischer
05-01-2019, 02:11 PM
I don't know a damned thing about Maloney's personality.

This game is a market.

This game is a predatory wealth-concentration mechanism.

This game is DESIGNED to separate the herd from it's money.

By LAW (and by 'law' I mean the only law ultimately obeyed; universe) most of the population plays the ponies on what is basically a low-level plateau(often referred to as the "tail", - or worse! :blush: ),...

... ever so slightly inching insignificantly upward.

Then the fun starts, and the winners climb the hill.

From a $500 bankroll, Maloney seems to be way up near an unseen peak, as the higher points of the graph climb nearly vertically, into the clouds...

highnote
05-02-2019, 10:46 AM
"Champions never complain. They are too busy getting better." - John Wooden