PDA

View Full Version : If you were Racing Czar of NYRA...

highnote
04-07-2019, 05:56 PM
I posted the following in a different thread, but it seems like it could be its own thread. Too many people say racing is dying in the U.S. and there is no solution. I emphatically disagree. If there is a will there is a way.

If I was Racing Czar of NYRA here is what I would do:

Basically -- shorting the meets and create two populations of horses so that drugs can be totally eliminated in one of the populations. Create a handicap division and an open division.

Here are the details:

Get rid of winter racing at AQU. Have a shorter spring, summer, and fall meet at BEL. Shorten SAR to 4 weeks. Create demand by limiting supply. NY is still the premier racing market.

So maybe race at BEL 3 days per week -- 10, 12, or even 14 race cards on Saturday and Sunday afternoons, and an 8 race card Wednesday night under the lights! Throw in an occasional 4th day per week for holidays. Run from mid-March until the end of June.

Take off the hot month of July in order to build up demand for SAR.

Run 5 days per week through Labor Day at SAR. Run Wednesday through Sunday.

Run mid-September through mid-November at BEL.

It may not be possible to get rid of all illicit use of drugs on horses to get an advantage, but there is a way to structure the racing system by creating two populations of horses that would all but eliminate illicit drug use in one of the populations.

The non-drug population would follow the Hong Kong model where a roster of about 1,000 to 2,000 horses are selected to race ONLY at BEL. These would be geldings that might range in age from 3 to 12 years old. These horses can never be shipped to another jurisdiction to race. This class of horse competes only in handicap races like in HK where there are 5 classes of handicap races. The horses are kept under constant surveillance and are only treated by state authorized vets. If there is a drug violation it would be easy to know if it was a vet since each vet would be responsible for X number of horses. Penalties for drug violations would be severe for owners, trainers, or vets, or whomever is responsible for the care of the horses. They could be heavily fined or even banned from participating in this class. The horses in the handicap division would not be allowed to be shipped to SAR because cheating could take place on the ride to SAR. The group of handicap horses at BEL would be the best handicap division in the country because NY always attracts the best.

The second class of horses would be an open division. This would be a division just like it is run today. Vets, owners, and trainers can try to get away with the use of illicit race day drugs. Shippers are allowed. Nothing would change from the way it is now. These horses would be treated by a vet chosen by the trainer or owner. The open division is where the stakes, maidens, allowance, and high priced claimers would run.

The stakes races would be run with full fields. There would be fewer pretenders. Because most races would be handicap races the stakes and maiden races would take on greater importance because there would be fewer of them. Horses that can't make it to the stakes level would be relegated to a new jurisdiction or to the handicap class. Horses that cannot compete at the handicap level would be relegated to a new jurisdiction.

Trainers who cannot be competitive in the handicap division could lose the privilege of training horses in that division.

There is more to be said, but this is a good start. Feel free to add. Or not.

Tom
04-07-2019, 06:36 PM
2 groups huh?
So we could look forward to 2.5 horse fields instead of 5? :rolleyes:

highnote
04-07-2019, 07:01 PM
2 groups huh?
So we could look forward to 2.5 horse fields instead of 5? :rolleyes:

No. One group is made up of horses that race only in one of the 5 levels of handicap racing. This group would consist of 1,000 to 2,000 horses stabled at the track. This group could only race in handicap races, not in the open division. This group would be required to be kept on-track at all times and under video surveillance -- the same way they do it in HK. Drug use would only be allowed post-race for therapeutic purposes and administered by a state authorized vet. The horse could not race again until it was clean. The HK Jockey Club has a whole list of stringent requirements.

Since these handicap horses would be mainly older geldings they can race more often and they would be 100% drug free. So when they are injured their pain can't be masked by bute. If they bleed they are given time to heal rather than Lasix. If bleeding is a problem for them then they are ruled off the track for good and replaced by a new horse.

Since all races are handicaps it would be easier to fill the races with 14 horses because the weight handicap would level the playing field.

Also, because there would be fewer racing days there would be more time for the turf course to recover and therefore more turf races could be carded.

BEL has inner and outer turf courses and moveable rails. This would also make for more turf racing.

And with a guaranteed population of 1,000 to 2,000 horses on track races would be guaranteed to fill.

Afleet
04-07-2019, 07:30 PM
eliminate state bred races which would increase the claiming race fields. Drop the takeout on WPS and DD wagers to 10% or less

highnote
04-07-2019, 07:45 PM
eliminate state bred races which would increase the claiming race fields. Drop the takeout on WPS and DD wagers to 10% or less

Aren't state bred races subsidized partly by the state?

Dropping the takeout would definitely help, but horsemen have resisted it. So what happens is that the whales bet with ADWs and get large rebates which effectively lowers the takeout for them, but not for the little guys.

Welfare is for whales, capitalism is for minnows.

Robert Fischer
04-07-2019, 07:58 PM
Love NYRA.

My only gripe with them, ever?, is field size.

I don't know enough about the dynamics to understand whether field size can be fixed, or whether a scaled takeout reduction is feasible, during the times when you can only field five or six runners.

MonmouthParkJoe
04-07-2019, 08:11 PM
I read up until getting rid of winter racing. It would destroy the breeding industry in NY, esp when state bred races make up a significant portion of the winter meets

highnote
04-07-2019, 08:12 PM
Love NYRA.

My only gripe with them, ever?, is field size.

I don't know enough about the dynamics to understand whether field size can be fixed, or whether a scaled takeout reduction is feasible, during the times when you can only field five or six runners.

Takeout reduction is not going to put more horses on the track. Too few horses is the problem. Horsemen will never go for reduced takeout.

What is needed is fewer racing days with more horses per race. This is the same as more racing days with fewer horses per race. Bettors would prefer the former. Horsemen would prefer the latter. The problem is the latter is not sustainable.

More racing days with more horses per race is what every body wants. No one is going to get that.

So the plan that could work is a hybrid U.S. model / Hong Kong model.

Have two populations of horses -- a handicap-only division and an open division.

The 1,000 to 2,000 horses in the handicap division race ONLY at Belmont in one of 5 handicap levels. The racing secretary assigns each horse to a class based on their past ability and how much weight they will carry. If the horse is good it will move up in class or stay at the same level but carry more weight. The idea is to create races where every horse has an equal chance of winning. That can only be done regularly with a handicap system.

By utilizing a handicap system with 1,000 - 2,000 horses the field size is almost guaranteed to be large for every race. There will be fewer races in the open division, but they will be of higher quality with larger fields.

Bettors will come back to U.S. racing because every horse in the handicap division will be under video surveillance 24-7 and every horse will be treated by a state-authorized vet. Penalties for drugs in a horse's system will be severe. No horse in the handicap division will be allowed to leave the Belmont premises. If it leaves the grounds it will become ineligible until it returns to the track and sits in jail and is drug-free.

highnote
04-07-2019, 08:24 PM
I read up until getting rid of winter racing. It would destroy the breeding industry in NY, esp when state bred races make up a significant portion of the winter meets

How would it destroy the breeding industry?

There would be the same or as many horses racing per year. The thing that would change is that there would be fewer races with more horses per race. That is the same as more races with fewer horses per race.

Let's say you have 125 race days per year at an average of 10 races per day and 10 horses per race. That equals 12,500 horse past performances.

This is about the same as 250 race days per year at an average of 8 races per day and 6 .25 horses per race.

As a bettor which do you prefer?

Tracks would save money on labor. You only need people on 125 days per year rather than 250.

And if there were two divisions of horses -- handicap and open -- you might even have 12 to 14 races on weekends and 8 on Wednesdays and also run a few holidays which would bring the number of race days to more than 125. So you get 135 race days with 11.5 races per day on average and 10 horses per race. That gets you to 15,525 horse past performances per year -- an increase of almost 25% more racing!

Who doesn't love that? Horsemen and bettors should celebrate!

Robert Fischer
04-07-2019, 08:40 PM
Takeout reduction is not going to put more horses on the track. Too few horses is the problem. Horsemen will never go for reduced takeout.

So the plan that could work is a hybrid U.S. model / Hong Kong model.

Both my Takeout-scaled-to-field-size, and your Hong Kong modeled reform would probably be considered 'too radical'.

Good ideas :ThmbUp:

highnote
04-07-2019, 08:57 PM
Both my Takeout-scaled-to-field-size, and your Hong Kong modeled reform would probably be considered 'too radical'.

Good ideas :ThmbUp:

I have heard of the takeout-scaled-to-field-size solution mentioned before. I like the idea. I just watched part of replay of the Santa Anita Oaks with 4 horses. I turned it off before they reached the first turn. Life is too short to watch a race with only 4 horses that I have zero interest in ever betting on.

Do racing executives not understand that entertainment options are virtually infinite. There is only time to watch the best of the best.

Funny thing about Hong Kong is that Bill Nader was the second highest executive at NYRA and now he runs the HK Jockey Club.

Robert Fischer
04-07-2019, 09:12 PM
I have heard of the takeout-scaled-to-field-size solution mentioned before. I like the idea. I just watched part of replay of the Santa Anita Oaks with 4 horses. I turned it off before they reached the first turn. Life is too short to watch a race with only 4 horses that I have zero interest in ever betting on.

Do racing executives not understand that entertainment options are virtually infinite. There is only time to watch the best of the best.

Funny thing about Hong Kong is that Bill Nader was the second highest executive at NYRA and now he runs the HK Jockey Club.

:ThmbUp:

Some smart ideas.

Horse racing depends on that model (brain-fog on the terminology) but it's a "brand loyalty" model, where horse racing has almost a cult following of loyal customers.

Biggest bettors are rebated, but the game could do more to embrace the model.

highnote
04-07-2019, 10:04 PM
:ThmbUp:

Some smart ideas.

Horse racing depends on that model (brain-fog on the terminology) but it's a "brand loyalty" model, where horse racing has almost a cult following of loyal customers.

Biggest bettors are rebated, but the game could do more to embrace the model.

If their cult following is enough to sustain them then more power to them.

Racing is a lot like musicians today. Everything is niche. The days of rock stars earning more money than bankers is over. There are very few global superstars. Even the biggest musician can't sell millions and millions of records any more, but they fit in a niche market with a loyal following that allows them to still make a lot of money.

Maybe NYRA hanging on to their monopoly while trying to not go bankrupt is good enough? But why settle for mediocre when you can be great?

highnote
04-09-2019, 12:38 AM
Here is a brief outline with some ideas on how to increase handle on U.S. racing by increasing field size and eliminating race day drugs while increasing the number of live races staged per year, creating more opportunities for trainers, jockeys and owners, and helping breeders by increasing the demand for stallions that can produce durable, high-quality runners.

Notice there is no mention of reducing takeout. This is because horseplayers would be happy that someone is doing something for "Making the game better for the Bettor" (tm). ;)

CONCEPT

Add a Hong Kong-styled handicap division.

Maintain a separate, but fixed size population of horses that compete ONLY in the handicap division.

Horses in the handicap division are stabled separately from horses in the OPEN division.

Handicap divison stables are under 24-7 video surveillance.

Only state-authorized vets are allowed to administer therapuetic drugs, post race.

No pre-race, race day drugs are allowed to be administered.

Horses must be drug tested prior to racing and must be clean before they can race.

Here is a link to a description of the handicapping system used in Hong Kong:

https://racing.hkjc.com/racing/english/racing-info/handicap_policy.asp

This could be adapted and modified to what would work best in a particular U.S. racing jurisdiction.

IMPLEMENTATION

Start small to see if the concept is workable.

It is probably not prudent to gather 2,000 horses for a handicap division given the risk of failure.

It is better to start small and then iterate the model until it is proven to work or not work.

If it fails after many iterations then pivot in a new direction or stop altogether.

The goal is to get 14 horse fields in every race, or whatever the typical maximum number of runners are at a given track.

In order to do average 14 horses per race 16 horses would need to be entered per race which would allow for two early scratches to be filled.

If one handicap race were carded for each class per racing day and this was done one day per week then 80 handicap division horses per day would be needed. Since the goal is to race these horses every 4 to 6 weeks a 6 week supply of runners would be needed. That is 480 horses.

It could probably be done on an even smaller scale with fewer horses by running three classes per day one day per week. For example, race Classes 1, 2, and 3 in week one. Then race Classes 4, 5, and 1 in week two. Then race Classes 2, 3, and 4 in week three, etc. This would require only 48 horses per week or about 300 horses for the 6 week rotation. Truthfully, the track could shoot for 10 horses per race with 2 standby runners. So then all that would be needed are 36 horses per day -- or about 216 horses for a six week rotation. Of course, it could be done on an even smaller scale and the feedback generated would still be useful.

New infrastruture would be required.

The horses would be need to be stabled in an area reserved for handicap class horses.

The horses would need to be under 24-7 video surveillance.

A roster of state-authorized vets each would be assigned to X number of horses.

This could make it easier to trace where any corruption occured if there were drug positives.

A set of rules would need to be drafted.

For example, a horse in the handicap class must be stabled at the track and cannot ship to another jurisdiction to race, otherwise, it loses it's eligibility to race in the track's handicap division.

Maybe a contract would be necessary that requires the trainer or owner to agree to race the horse for X amount of time at the track before it can be removed, unless it is retired? Then once it is retired it is never again allowed to race in the handicap division if it comes out of retirement to race again.

An owner can only own X amount of handicap horses.

An owner can retire a horse and replace it with another.

That's the gist of it. It seems reasonable. It works in HK. It should work in the U.S.

Suff
04-09-2019, 02:10 AM

July is critical to Saratoga Prep races. I think it would degrade the Saratoga product.

highnote
04-09-2019, 02:17 AM
July is critical to Saratoga Prep races. I think it would degrade the Saratoga product.

That is why I have also said nothing is set in stone and the system would be tweaked to each jurisdiction's requirements. My post was just to give an example of things that could be done, not things that must be done.

My previous post in this thread that outlines the concept is a little more refined. Obviously, the whole concept is in flux at this point.

The bigger question is whether or not the concept is tenable.

Here is the link to the outline of the concept:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2450630&postcount=14

castaway01
04-09-2019, 07:51 AM
That is why I have also said nothing is set in stone and the system would be tweaked to each jurisdiction's requirements. My post was just to give an example of things that could be done, not things that must be done.

My previous post in this thread that outlines the concept is a little more refined. Obviously, the whole concept is in flux at this point.

The bigger question is whether or not the concept is tenable.

Here is the link to the outline of the concept:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2450630&postcount=14

As far as whether it is feasible, it's probably not unless the whole country followed the same guidelines and not just NYRA. You might get away with it just at Saratoga because of the prestige and purses, but if trainers who want things as is have the option of several other tracks not following your rules, then it wouldn't work. You're not going to demand trainers follow some exceptionally restrictive (in their view) guidelines to run at Aqueduct in January.

That's why comparisons with Hong Kong don't work---they've got a small (in number of tracks) government-run monopoly on not only horse racing but all gambling. When the government runs everything, you can dictate every last option. I do give you credit for trying to at least come up with a realistic way of implementing changes in medications. It would probably have to be nationwide phasing-in over a period of years though.

Tom
04-09-2019, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by highnote View Post

Take off the winter, February, to build up sanity!
A week off between Bel and Sar is good, I think.

5 days a week is a good idea.

A week off between Sar and Bel at the end.

Players will bet other tracks,but at least you can try to avoid 5 horse fields.

highnote
04-09-2019, 02:15 PM
As far as whether it is feasible, it's probably not unless the whole country followed the same guidelines and not just NYRA.

You're not going to demand trainers follow some exceptionally restrictive (in their view) guidelines to run at Aqueduct in January.

That's why comparisons with Hong Kong don't work---they've got a small (in number of tracks)

This is NOT a nationwide system. A nationwide system is NOT necessary. Only ONE track is needed. Only ONE track is needed. Only ONE track is needed.

If you go back and read my post you will see that I said ONE track (others may follow) would create two divisions of racing. Division One would be the Open Division. Division Two would be the Handicap Division.

Division One would be the system that is currently in place now. Horses ship from track to track, entered in claiming, allowance, maiden, and stakes races. Nothing changes.

Division Two would be the new handicap division with 5 Classes of handicap races. Let's say Class 5 is the weakest with the lowest purses and Class 1 is the strongest with the highest purses. Owners would buy the best horses they can and they would be entered into a race in one of the classes depending on how the handicap rating the racing secretary or steward gave them. The weight each horse would carry depends on their handicap rating and the class entered.

Horses in Division Two are restricted to run only at the track where they are stabled. So they could not ship to another track unless the other track had a handicap division of its own and operated under the same rules and had the same video surveillance infrastructure in place to make sure no drugs were administered illegally, otherwise a handicap horse that leaves to race in another jurisdiction loses it eligibility to race in the handicap division at its current track.

Here is the outline again in case you missed it the first time:

Here is a brief outline with some ideas on how to increase handle on U.S. racing by increasing field size and eliminating race day drugs while increasing the number of live races staged per year, creating more opportunities for trainers, jockeys and owners, and helping breeders by increasing the demand for stallions that can produce durable, high-quality runners.

Notice there is no mention of reducing takeout. This is because horseplayers would be happy that someone is doing something for "Making the game better for the Bettor" (tm).

CONCEPT

Add a Hong Kong-styled handicap division.

Maintain a separate, but fixed size population of horses that compete ONLY in the handicap division.

Horses in the handicap division are stabled separately from horses in the OPEN division.

Handicap divison stables are under 24-7 video surveillance.

Only state-authorized vets are allowed to administer therapuetic drugs, post race.

No pre-race, race day drugs are allowed to be administered.

Horses must be drug tested prior to racing and must be clean before they can race.

Here is a link to a description of the handicapping system used in Hong Kong:

https://racing.hkjc.com/racing/engli...cap_policy.asp

This could be adapted and modified to what would work best in a particular U.S. racing jurisdiction.

IMPLEMENTATION

Start small to see if the concept is workable.

It is probably not prudent to gather 2,000 horses for a handicap division given the risk of failure.

It is better to start small and then iterate the model until it is proven to work or not work.

If it fails after many iterations then pivot in a new direction or stop altogether.

The goal is to get 14 horse fields in every race, or whatever the typical maximum number of runners are at a given track.

In order to do average 14 horses per race 16 horses would need to be entered per race which would allow for two early scratches to be filled.

If one handicap race were carded for each class per racing day and this was done one day per week then 80 handicap division horses per day would be needed. Since the goal is to race these horses every 4 to 6 weeks a 6 week supply of runners would be needed. That is 480 horses.

It could probably be done on an even smaller scale with fewer horses by running three classes per day one day per week. For example, race Classes 1, 2, and 3 in week one. Then race Classes 4, 5, and 1 in week two. Then race Classes 2, 3, and 4 in week three, etc. This would require only 48 horses per week or about 300 horses for the 6 week rotation. Truthfully, the track could shoot for 10 horses per race with 2 standby runners. So then all that would be needed are 36 horses per day -- or about 216 horses for a six week rotation. Of course, it could be done on an even smaller scale and the feedback generated would still be useful.

New infrastruture would be required.

The horses would be need to be stabled in an area reserved for handicap class horses.

The horses would need to be under 24-7 video surveillance.

A roster of state-authorized vets each would be assigned to X number of horses.

This could make it easier to trace where any corruption occured if there were drug positives.

A set of rules would need to be drafted.

For example, a horse in the handicap class must be stabled at the track and cannot ship to another jurisdiction to race, otherwise, it loses it's eligibility to race in the track's handicap division.

Maybe a contract would be necessary that requires the trainer or owner to agree to race the horse for X amount of time at the track before it can be removed, unless it is retired? Then once it is retired it is never again allowed to race in the handicap division if it comes out of retirement to race again.

An owner can only own X amount of handicap horses.

An owner can retire a horse and replace it with another.

rastajenk
04-09-2019, 07:04 PM
I can't imagine many owners that would want to participate in such a scheme.

highnote
04-09-2019, 07:08 PM
I can't imagine many owners that would want to participate in such a scheme.

Can you give some reasons?

Nitro
04-09-2019, 08:24 PM
Can you give some reasons?Good luck with that question.

Highnote, I’ve been tempted to post some ideas of my own to supplement yours. When this sort of topic came up in the past I developed an entire program for any racing jurisdiction smart enough to take advantage of replicating the Hong Kong model (even on smaller scale). Unlike you I decided not to post it because I realized that only those players involved with HK racing might appreciate what it could do for a local racing circuit. But more importantly what it would do for the players could be even more significant.

I see that from the responses you’re getting that I was right. I commend you for trying, but it’s comparatively obvious that many here seem to see the glass as being ½ empty. You’ve probably also noticed the general negativity on this board on a variety of topics. Well you know what they say, “Misery loves company”.

Well, I just wanted to commend you for at least trying and remaining optimistic about the future of local racing. I have my doubts that anything will change for the better until something dramatically impacts the cash cow that nourishes the local racing. In the meantime, I’ll continue to enjoy the HK racing product.

highnote
04-09-2019, 09:43 PM
Good luck with that question.

Highnote, I’ve been tempted to post some ideas of my own to supplement yours. When this sort of topic came up in the past I developed an entire program for any racing jurisdiction smart enough to take advantage of replicating the Hong Kong model (even on smaller scale). Unlike you I decided not to post it because I realized that only those players involved with HK racing might appreciate what it could do for a local racing circuit. But more importantly what it would do for the players could be even more significant.

I see that from the responses you’re getting that I was right. I commend you for trying, but it’s comparatively obvious that many here seem to see the glass as being ½ empty. You’ve probably also noticed the general negativity on this board on a variety of topics. Well you know what they say, “Misery loves company”.

Well, I just wanted to commend you for at least trying and remaining optimistic about the future of local racing. I have my doubts that anything will change for the better until something dramatically impacts the cash cow that nourishes the local racing. In the meantime, I’ll continue to enjoy the HK racing product.

I encourage you to post your ideas. I know that once a racetrack is threatened with bankruptcy they will try new ideas to keep their doors open. Facing the risk of losing one's job can be quite motivating.

As far as people saying it won't work, but not offering any good reason why, tells me they haven't really thought deeply about the issue.

I think my concept for a U.S. racetrack to create handicap division is actually pretty workable. It takes a while for new ideas to catch on and there is ALWAYS skepticism and naysayers.

UBER and LYFT are good examples of companies who bucked the system and did not listen to those who said it couldn't be done.

I came up with the concept of a betting exchange back around 1997, but it was way too radical for the U.S. market and it wasn't feasible for me to pick up and move to England. I was threatened with jail time if I tried to start one here in the U.S. That's how much others felt threatened with my idea. Betfair became a billion dollar company. 20 years later they finally are making inroads in the U.S.

Since I didn't want to go to jail, I started rallying people around the idea of creating a horseplayer's association. I remember many saying it couldn't be done. HANA is still working on behalf of horseplayers some 15 years later. Many said it couldn't be done, but those who believed made it happen.

I am publishing my concept of how to successfully bring a Hong Kong-style handicap division to the U.S. in the hopes that one visionary racetrack executive (oxymoron?) will take the idea and run with it. I have great confidence it would be successful.

What bettor doesn't like full fields? What trainer doesn't like more horses in their barn? What jockey doesn't like more opportunities to ride? What breeder doesn't want more opportunities for his stallion and broodmare? What vet doesn't want more horses to care for? What owner doesn't want more options for his horses to earn prize money?

It's a no brainer.

castaway01
04-10-2019, 08:25 AM
I encourage you to post your ideas. I know that once a racetrack is threatened with bankruptcy they will try new ideas to keep their doors open. Facing the risk of losing one's job can be quite motivating.

As far as people saying it won't work, but not offering any good reason why, tells me they haven't really thought deeply about the issue.

I think my concept for a U.S. racetrack to create handicap division is actually pretty workable. It takes a while for new ideas to catch on and there is ALWAYS skepticism and naysayers.

UBER and LYFT are good examples of companies who bucked the system and did not listen to those who said it couldn't be done.

I came up with the concept of a betting exchange back around 1997, but it was way too radical for the U.S. market and it wasn't feasible for me to pick up and move to England. I was threatened with jail time if I tried to start one here in the U.S. That's how much others felt threatened with my idea. Betfair became a billion dollar company. 20 years later they finally are making inroads in the U.S.

Since I didn't want to go to jail, I started rallying people around the idea of creating a horseplayer's association. I remember many saying it couldn't be done. HANA is still working on behalf of horseplayers some 15 years later. Many said it couldn't be done, but those who believed made it happen.

I am publishing my concept of how to successfully bring a Hong Kong-style handicap division to the U.S. in the hopes that one visionary racetrack executive (oxymoron?) will take the idea and run with it. I have great confidence it would be successful.

What bettor doesn't like full fields? What trainer doesn't like more horses in their barn? What jockey doesn't like more opportunities to ride? What breeder doesn't want more opportunities for his stallion and broodmare? What vet doesn't want more horses to care for? What owner doesn't want more options for his horses to earn prize money?

It's a no brainer.

There's been about 100 logical reasons why it won't work, but you refuse to read or comprehend any of them. You're asking why the local McDonald's can turn into a 5-star restaurant by tomorrow morning but covering your ears when people say why it's unrealistic.

Thanks for inventing exchange wagering and HANA though, both great services to horse racing that have changed everything for the better.

thaskalos
04-10-2019, 09:56 AM

And, as I recall...you briefly flirted with the idea of purchasing your own racetrack...so you could implement your business philosophy on local ground. How is that coming along?

Tom
04-10-2019, 11:04 AM
I should own Finger Lakes - I've been making "payments" to them for 50 years!

Thomas Roulston
05-05-2019, 08:58 PM
My proposed changes for NYRA:

1. Bring back the summer meeting at Aqueduct, last held in 1976. Otherwise, converting the Inner Dirt Track to a turf course ends up having made no sense whatsoever. In addition, with two pre-Saratoga meets instead of one, the Stewards can afford to allow more soft-turf races to remain on the grass, leading to fewer off-the-turf races and the 4- and 5-horse fields that inevitably run in them.

2. Add the following rule to the "Star System": If the official track condition for a carded Dirt race is muddy or sloppy, any horse who runs will receive an additional Dirt star. This will reduce scratches in muddy and sloppy dirt races as well.

3. Go back to March 1 as opening day at Aqueduct, with the Paumunok Handicap as the featured race, and the regularly-scheduled racing day of the week before the winter solstice (December 21) as the last day, with the Display Handicap as the featured race (and bring back the Gallant Fox Handicap as well as the Display Handicap). This is how NYRA did things in the early '70s.

4. Roll back the shortening of all stakes races since the 1970s. That means, for example, the return of the Jockey Club Gold Cup to 2 miles, the Woodward to 1 1/2 miles, the Coaching Club American Oaks to 1 1/2 miles, and the Dwyer to 1 1/4 miles. Also, bring back the Marlboro Cup - under a new, politically correct name - to be run at 1 1/4 miles, after the Whitney and before the Woodward.

5. Run more distances - examples, 6 1/2 furlongs and 7 1/2 furlongs on the Widener Turf Course and 1 3/16 miles and 1 5/16 miles on the Inner Turf Course at Belmont, and 7 1/2 furlongs on the Inner Turf Course at Aqueduct (the run to the first turn is longer, and the turn is less tight, than 7 1/2 furlongs on turf at the Fair Grounds, which has been run for decades). Plus bring back the Wilson Mile Chute at Saratoga.

6. Increase maximum field sizes to 16 in most non-2-year-old races in which the run to the first turn is at least 1,320 feet (a quarter of a mile). Races run on narrower courses (such as the Inner Turf Course at Saratoga) or on courses with tight turns (such as the Inner Turf Course at Aqueduct) would have lower limits. 16-stall gates, like the ones that are used in the UAE and Dubai, shall be purchased. A four-horse also-eligible list will be maintained for races with 16-horse maximum field sizes.

7. Race six days a week at Saratoga, five days a week at both Belmont meets and the summer meet at Aqueduct, and four days a week at both the pre-Belmont and post-Belmont meets at Aqueduct, and nine races a day except on special days like Memorial Day, Belmont Stakes Day, and 4th of July.

8. Implement a staggered purse distribution format: The higher you finish, the more you get paid. In a 10-horse field, for example, this might mean 55% to 1st, 20% to 2nd, 10% to 3rd, 5% to 4th, 2.5% to 5th, 2.1% to 6th, 1.8% to 7th, 1.5% to 8th, 1.2% to 9th, and 0.9% to 10th. And cut the jockeys in on this: Besides the $110, $125, or $140 jockeys currently get for finishing 5th or worse, 2% of what the owner receives is added.

9. Reduce minimum field sizes for both WPS and exotic bets. Place betting should be allowed in three-horse fields, and show betting should be allowed in four-horse fields (New Jersey has done both for decades, and it is hardly bankrupting them). For exacta wagering, three horses should be the minimum; for trifectas, four; for superfectas, five; and for Super High Fives, six. Finally, create a new 1-Cent Six-Pack wager requiring the bettor to pick the first six finishers, in exact order. A minimum of eight horses must go postward for this new wager, at least seven of whom must actually start.

10. Both Lasix and Bute remain legal, but weight penalties would be imposed on the use of either, with a double penalty for using both. No Lasix or Bute for first-time starters, regardless of age.

Afleet
05-05-2019, 09:09 PM
I should own Finger Lakes - I've been making "payments" to them for 50 years!

can I get a clubhouse suite if I mention your name?

Tom
05-05-2019, 09:29 PM
Sure, but I warn you, our Clubhouse Suit is a grandstand bench with a cushion.

highnote
05-05-2019, 09:31 PM
My proposed changes for NYRA:

1. Bring back the summer meeting at Aqueduct, last held in 1976. Otherwise, converting the Inner Dirt Track to a turf course ends up having made no sense whatsoever. In addition, with two pre-Saratoga meets instead of one, the Stewards can afford to allow more soft-turf races to remain on the grass, leading to fewer off-the-turf races and the 4- and 5-horse fields that inevitably run in them.

2. Add the following rule to the "Star System": If the official track condition for a carded Dirt race is muddy or sloppy, any horse who runs will receive an additional Dirt star. This will reduce scratches in muddy and sloppy dirt races as well.

3. Go back to March 1 as opening day at Aqueduct, with the Paumunok Handicap as the featured race, and the regularly-scheduled racing day of the week before the winter solstice (December 21) as the last day, with the Display Handicap as the featured race (and bring back the Gallant Fox Handicap as well as the Display Handicap). This is how NYRA did things in the early '70s.

4. Roll back the shortening of all stakes races since the 1970s. That means, for example, the return of the Jockey Club Gold Cup to 2 miles, the Woodward to 1 1/2 miles, the Coaching Club American Oaks to 1 1/2 miles, and the Dwyer to 1 1/4 miles. Also, bring back the Marlboro Cup - under a new, politically correct name - to be run at 1 1/4 miles, after the Whitney and before the Woodward.

5. Run more distances - examples, 6 1/2 furlongs and 7 1/2 furlongs on the Widener Turf Course and 1 3/16 miles and 1 5/16 miles on the Inner Turf Course at Belmont, and 7 1/2 furlongs on the Inner Turf Course at Aqueduct (the run to the first turn is longer, and the turn is less tight, than 7 1/2 furlongs on turf at the Fair Grounds, which has been run for decades). Plus bring back the Wilson Mile Chute at Saratoga.

6. Increase maximum field sizes to 16 in most non-2-year-old races in which the run to the first turn is at least 1,320 feet (a quarter of a mile). Races run on narrower courses (such as the Inner Turf Course at Saratoga) or on courses with tight turns (such as the Inner Turf Course at Aqueduct) would have lower limits. 16-stall gates, like the ones that are used in the UAE and Dubai, shall be purchased. A four-horse also-eligible list will be maintained for races with 16-horse maximum field sizes.

7. Race six days a week at Saratoga, five days a week at both Belmont meets and the summer meet at Aqueduct, and four days a week at both the pre-Belmont and post-Belmont meets at Aqueduct, and nine races a day except on special days like Memorial Day, Belmont Stakes Day, and 4th of July.

8. Implement a staggered purse distribution format: The higher you finish, the more you get paid. In a 10-horse field, for example, this might mean 55% to 1st, 20% to 2nd, 10% to 3rd, 5% to 4th, 2.5% to 5th, 2.1% to 6th, 1.8% to 7th, 1.5% to 8th, 1.2% to 9th, and 0.9% to 10th. And cut the jockeys in on this: Besides the $110, $125, or $140 jockeys currently get for finishing 5th or worse, 2% of what the owner receives is added.

9. Reduce minimum field sizes for both WPS and exotic bets. Place betting should be allowed in three-horse fields, and show betting should be allowed in four-horse fields (New Jersey has done both for decades, and it is hardly bankrupting them). For exacta wagering, three horses should be the minimum; for trifectas, four; for superfectas, five; and for Super High Fives, six. Finally, create a new 1-Cent Six-Pack wager requiring the bettor to pick the first six finishers, in exact order. A minimum of eight horses must go postward for this new wager, at least seven of whom must actually start.

10. Both Lasix and Bute remain legal, but weight penalties would be imposed on the use of either, with a double penalty for using both. No Lasix or Bute for first-time starters, regardless of age.

Excellent post! Well thought out! There are so many good suggestions that I need to go back and read it again.

I would like to see no Lasix or Bute ever. NYRA was one of the last tracks to give in to race day use of Lasix. That was a mistake. I know why they did it. They were losing runners to other tracks with liberal drug policies. NYRA should be a leader, not a follower.

Zman179
05-06-2019, 08:32 AM
All I want is lower concession prices at Aqueduct. I’m sorry but $9 for a 20 ounce bottle of Pepsi is extortion.

BlueChip@DRF
05-06-2019, 09:12 AM
Close Aqueduct and use the property to build a hotel/casino venue.
Winterize the Belmont Park dirt track. March-June / September-October
Saratoga keeps its July/August schedule.

And then do what the last NYRA czar did - give myself a million dollar raise after one week.

Thomas Roulston
05-06-2019, 09:25 AM
Excellent post! Well thought out! There are so many good suggestions that I need to go back and read it again.

I would like to see no Lasix or Bute ever. NYRA was one of the last tracks to give in to race day use of Lasix. That was a mistake. I know why they did it. They were losing runners to other tracks with liberal drug policies. NYRA should be a leader, not a follower.

In fact, New York was the last state to legalize Lasix, effective September 1, 1995. New York was also the last state to implement the saddle towel color system - and where are those smilies for 21 through 24? I won't stop asking until they're up! :D

NYRA didn't even add fifth purse money until December 7, 1994 - and on December 3, 2003, went to a 60-20-10-5-3-2 distribution, with the 2% divided equally among all finishers lower than 5th. These percentages were changed to 55-20-12-6-4-3 (with the 3% divided equally among all finishers lower than 5th) effective July 20, 2018.

classhandicapper
05-06-2019, 02:17 PM
All I want is lower concession prices at Aqueduct. I’m sorry but $9 for a 20 ounce bottle of Pepsi is extortion.

The clam chowder at $5 used to be an overlay, but then they reduced the bowl size and this year they raised it to $6.50 (at least at Belmont). I told them I was betting $250 a race hoping for a cracker rebate. :-)

Tom
05-06-2019, 04:52 PM

That's $2 for the bottle of pop and $6 for the NYS Breeding Fund.

highnote
05-06-2019, 05:16 PM

Not on topic, but where is the dividing line in NY where people say pop or soda?

Zman179
05-06-2019, 05:29 PM
Not on topic, but where is the dividing line in NY where people say pop or soda?

Putnam and Orange Counties.
Upstate says "pop", downstate says "soda".

Zman179
05-06-2019, 05:31 PM
The clam chowder at $5 used to be an overlay, but then they reduced the bowl size and this year they raised it to $6.50 (at least at Belmont). I told them I was betting $250 a race hoping for a cracker rebate. :-)

Like Maxwell Smart would say, "The ol’ reduce the cup and raise the price trick"

That makes things so crystal clear. At least when they want $16 for a cheeseburger, I’ll know that the cow was a NY Bred.

SaratogaSteve
05-06-2019, 11:12 PM
Putnam and Orange Counties.
Upstate says "pop", downstate says "soda".

huh? Does upstate start in Plattsburgh for you?

Zman179
05-07-2019, 11:59 AM

Plattsburgh sings O’Canada. What, you didn’t know that?:liar:

lex
05-07-2019, 03:24 PM

I was going to say it's hard to believe Albany is suddenly downstate. I've never heard pop around here.

highnote
05-07-2019, 03:31 PM
I was going to say it's hard to believe Albany is suddenly downstate. I've never heard pop around here.

I grew up in the Midwest. It was always pop. NY/NJ/CT is soda. I think of Albany as upstate, but would still say soda when I'm there. Maybe it West-Upstate NY that says pop?

Zman179
05-07-2019, 05:57 PM

So where is the "pop" divide?

Tom
05-08-2019, 10:16 AM
And where does "soda pop" prevail?

I always thought of soda as an ice cream drink with carbonated water. Pop was like Coke, and "pops" was many beers.:cool:

Thomas Roulston
05-09-2019, 12:24 PM

To me, anything above Sullivan County (except Roscoe), Ulster County, and Dutchess County (except Millerton and Pine Plains), and all of Delaware County except Fleischmanns, Margaretville, and Andes, is upstate (this was the northern limit of the original 914 area code, and today's 845 area code).