PDA

View Full Version : SA Friday 4/12 - no whips allowed

spiketoo
04-06-2019, 10:13 AM
Wow we're getting to jumping the shark now.

I'm sure the usual suspects here will scream 'save the horse or racing will be gone in CA'! And perhaps that may be the end result here. But now they're just trying to put out a fire by grasping at straws. And I use that analogy purposely as most of use here are the straw that stirs this drink.

I believe the safety of the horse is paramount to this game I play. I don't have all the answers. But obviously, neither does Belinda et al and now they're trying anything to appease the masses in this nightmare:

No Lasix!
- well let's start next year with 2YOs or something

Judicious use of the whip only for safety of the horse and rider!
- hey, let's try a day with no whip and see how that goes. We'll get good pub from that right?

Tell you what Belinda - I'm all for trying new things in an attempt to increase the safety of the horse. I personally do not think a whip causes severe injury to a horse but I also am not a member of PETA. I'm a bettor and you do not survive without me. If you're sincere here, then make Friday 4/12 a non-betting day. Close the windows for your experiment. No worries here tho as I will not be playing your track during your experiment.

spiketoo
04-06-2019, 10:31 AM
Upon further understanding on the origins of this, it appears to have come from the Jockey's Guild which originally was opposed to the rule in limiting the use of crops. I'm so woozy...

PDF of the letter
www.latimes.com/la-sp-jockeys-guild-letter-to-chrb-20190405-acrobat.html

LA Times article
https://www.latimes.com/sports/more/la-sp-santa-anita-jockeys-whips-20190405-story.html

'The move appears to be an attempt to satisfy a public that finds the optics of a horse being hit with a riding crop disturbing. The jockeys contend the new cushioned crop does not hurt a horse and is more of a noise maker to focus the animal.'

johnhannibalsmith
04-06-2019, 10:45 AM
I guess if I'm betting I actually focus on jocks and play the riders that I'm sure think that this is a great idea.

spiketoo
04-11-2019, 01:02 PM
NOT - courtesy of the TOC.

'Through an agreement between the Jockeys' Guild and the Thoroughbred Owners of California, jockeys will ride with crops Friday at Santa Anita. The Jockeys' Guild has postponed its planned experiment to have its members ride without them as the organization works toward longer-term implementation of policies consistent with recent guidelines issued by the California Horse Racing Board, the Guild and TOC announced today'

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/the-biz/jockeys-guild-delays-no-riding-crops-experiment-at-santa-anita/

ultracapper
04-11-2019, 01:18 PM
No whip would be like playing asteroidz with no joy stick. The whip is used as much as a command instrument as it is a blunt encouragement instrument.

Tom
04-11-2019, 05:11 PM
Whips aow allowed Friday.
Word on the street is that DEVO complained and Belinda caved.