PDA

View Full Version : First Ike's kid, now Pat Buchannan endorse Kerry.

Secretariat
09-29-2004, 11:04 PM
http://www.bluelemur.com/index.php?p=312

JustRalph
09-29-2004, 11:28 PM
Bush refuses to shut down the border and that pisses pat off. He has been saying that for 3 years. Pat lost his credibility a long time ago.........

hcap
09-30-2004, 06:01 AM
If you follow Buchanan at all, it's obvious he is more pissed off about the Iraq fiasco than anything else.
Buchanan talks repeatly about how the neocons have hijacked the "real" conservatives and the repub party.
A few of us here have been making the same arguments.
To write Buchanan off as marginal, or a loonie, or a "fat b**t***," is typical of the wingnuts on this bord. Remember, Buchanan actually won the election for bush in miami.

Seems to me bush will be carrying Iraq around like a ball and chain till the election. And whoever wins will be carrying it for years. The U.S. may never regain its world position because of this BLUNDER by flightsuitboy.

andicap
09-30-2004, 11:53 AM
I will admit that having Pat Buchanan endorse my candidate does not make me especially proud. He was right on Iraq but he is an ultra -isolationist, like those Republicans pre-WW II who didn't want to deal with Hitler --
There ARE times when the U.S. needs to be actively involved, like right now in Sudan (another indication of the Sadaam Hussein double standard -- Sudan is killing more of its people than Hussein ever did, so where are we?? )

And I agree with Ralph: Buchanan is not relevant anymore. Still, I guess in a close election it might help and maybe give Kerry some momentum in the final weeks. In a tight race, every little bit helps.

I don't think any libs or centrists will NOT vote for Kerry because Buchanan endorsed him and maybe he still has a small following somewhere in a swing state.

hcap
09-30-2004, 01:54 PM
I am not agreeing with Buchanan on ALL issues. Isolationism is more suited to another time. But he is relevant. He does represent an older wing of the republican party, and is visible on cable and heavily involved in....

The American Conservative http://www.amconmag.com/aboutus.html

" We will question the benefits and point to the pitfalls of the global free trade economy; we will free the immigration debate from the prison to which it has been consigned. And we will discuss, frequently, America’s role in the world, turning a critical eye on those who want to cast aside every relevant American foreign policy tradition—from Robert Taft-style isolationism to prudent Dwight Eisenhower-style internationalism, in favor of go it alone militarism, where America threatens and bombs one nation after another, while the world looks on in increasing horror.

We believe conservatism to be the most natural political tendency, rooted in man’s taste for the familiar, for family, for faith in God. We believe that true conservatism has a predisposition for the institutions and mores that exist. So much of what passes for contemporary conservatism is wedded to a kind of radicalism—fantasies of global hegemony, the hubristic notion of America as a universal nation for all the world’s peoples, a hyperglobal economy. In combination with an increasingly unveiled contempt for America’s long-standing allies, this is more a recipe for disaster."

Not that far from much of what I believe as a progressive who thinks America is involved in corporate multi-national empire building. Stands on social issues may not connect, but I see a connection in the analysis of the Iraq War that is common to Buchanan and myself.

http://www.amconmag.com/2004_09_13/buchanan.html

" As has been written here before, we are not an imperial people. We do not have the will or perseverance for empire. We have no desire to rule other nations. Now the “white man’s burden” is beginning to weigh on our military and imperil the re-election of a president who, at the instigation of the neocons, has foolishly committed American power and wealth to some enterprise called “the world democratic revolution.”"

Buchanan says this will be the first time in his life he will vote other than republican, or for himself. I think that alone speaks volumes and when we are facing maybe another year 2000 type election, even 1 % could swing some electoral votes

delayjf
09-30-2004, 02:00 PM
The U.S. may never regain its world position because of this BLUNDER by flightsuitboy.

If by that you mean that France and Germany won't ask us to play anymore, who cares. They'll all change their tune when it comes time to doling out all the aid money. Germany will rule the day they opposed us when we pull out the 70,000 troops we have stationed there. As far as I'm concerned, NATO can fiend for itself. Like I said before, the world has always envied our power and position in the world, the reality is, they have never liked us. So what else is new.

Bottom line, we're still the Big Dog. If "they" don't like us, we don't care, we don't have to.

hcap
09-30-2004, 02:27 PM
delayjf,

The way the economy is going, particularly our dear departed manufacturing sector, working next to Homer in Abbus' quickie mart, may be the only type of job available. Globalization is the black hole sucking out the vitality of the middle class.

A service economy does not grow the gross national product.
Global power is already shifting to Asia and the European Union. 10-20 years from now we will not be the "BIG DOG". More like just another pack animal. And contrary to your...

"If "they" don't like us, we don't care, we don't have to",

boast, we will HAVE to care.

You said...
"Germany will rule the day they opposed us when we pull out the 70,000 troops we have stationed there."

Should be RUE the day, but in 10-20 years it may just be RULE the day

BTW, rue sounds sorta french. Actually olde english

JustRalph
09-30-2004, 02:37 PM
Now i get it! HCAP is Pat Buchanan.............that clears it all up now. why didn't you introduce yourself..........It is hard to keep up with you. Since your show is on CNN and nobody watches anymore.............

schweitz
09-30-2004, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by hcap
delayjf,

The way the economy is going, particularly our dear departed manufacturing sector, working next to Homer in Abbus' quickie mart, may be the only type of job available. Globalization is the black hole sucking out the vitality of the middle class.

A service economy does not grow the gross national product.
Global power is already shifting to Asia and the European Union. 10-20 years from now we will not be the "BIG DOG". More like just another pack animal. And contrary to your...

"If "they" don't like us, we don't care, we don't have to",

boast, we will HAVE to care.

You said...
"Germany will rule the day they opposed us when we pull out the 70,000 troops we have stationed there."

Should be RUE the day, but in 10-20 years it may just be RULE the day

BTW, rue sounds sorta french. Actually olde english

It has to suck to be a liberal---always seeing things in a negative way---always predicting doom and gloom that never happens---it's got to wear you down.

ljb
09-30-2004, 03:01 PM
Form Schweiz
It has to suck to be a liberal---always seeing things in a negative way---always predicting doom and gloom that never happens---it's got to wear you down.

I would think constantly telling lies would be more tiring.

hcap
09-30-2004, 03:18 PM
JR
Now i get it! HCAP is Pat BuchananYeah that's me. The guy that got the all them JEWISH votes in miami. Sure as hell helped to give that one to King George II.

And JR don't forget to hone them OTHER service skills as more and more average americans 10 years from now will no longer be able to buy computers priced in Euros or the Yen.

Or you could move to Canada the NEW north american superpower. Meanwhile most of us will be working in a glorious service economy. You know I do your laundry in the laundromat I work at, while you do mine at your laundromat.

Ross Perrot where are you when we need you now?

Secretariat
09-30-2004, 03:49 PM
Hey Pat's endorsement is IMPORTANT!

Don't you remember all those little old Jewish ladies from West Palm Beach who voted for Pat Buchanan in 2000...well, maybe Pat's endorsement will swing them over to JFK.

ElKabong
09-30-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Secretariat
Hey Pat's endorsement is IMPORTANT!

Don't you remember all those little old Jewish ladies from West Palm Beach who voted for Pat Buchanan in 2000...well, maybe Pat's endorsement will swing them over to JFK.

Once again, I'll take Zell over anything that crosses over. You can take those small # of votes you're talking about, we'll take some of those yellow dog Dems Zell appealed to.

Tom
09-30-2004, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by JustRalph
Bush refuses to shut down the border and that pisses pat off. He has been saying that for 3 years. Pat lost his credibility a long time ago.........

I like Pat. He is dead right about the border. I would vote for him if he were running. A nation without a border is not a nation. Do you guys sleep at night with your front doors open?
And you live next to people you know and probably trust.

JustRalph
09-30-2004, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Tom
I like Pat. He is dead right about the border. I would vote for him if he were running. A nation without a border is not a nation. Do you guys sleep at night with your front doors open?
And you live next to people you know and probably trust.
I didn't say Pat was wrong on the border. I agree with some of his border views..........

But he made it "all about the border" etc...........mistake if you ask me.