PDA

View Full Version : THANK GOODNESS FAIRPLEX IS OVER

delayjf
09-29-2004, 05:17 PM
I thought they were going to close the fairplex meet down and dole out the dates to Del, SA and Hol? How many people would really prefer the Fairplex meet over an extra week at Delmar, Santa Anita and Hollywood?

Speed Figure
09-29-2004, 05:23 PM
The fair is a great meet. You need to be there to really enjoy it.

Dancer's Image
09-29-2004, 05:49 PM
Delayjf,
I agree with Speed Figure here....Fairplex is a necessary, if not a great meet. Necessary for the top notch jockeys, trainers, owners, racing press, and bettors to take a 3 week vacation. And necessary for the sport to try to attract new fans. The fair runs for 17 days and has a captive audience with free admission to the racing. It also allows the lesser jockeys, trainers, and owners the chance to shine for 3 weeks.

And now THANK HEAVENS, it's time for OakTree!!!!

Zaf
09-29-2004, 09:16 PM
The plan may be to enlarge the track to a 1 mile oval and possibly have a turf course. Then they are going to try to steal some dates from Hollywood. I heard this on the Roger Stein show a few weeks ago. Any truth to this ???

ZAFONIC

Dancer's Image
09-29-2004, 09:21 PM
I thought the plan was to close Hollywood Park after they built a new track at the Orange County exposition center?

keilan
09-29-2004, 10:42 PM
Dancer's Image

Fairplex is a necessary, if not a great meet. Necessary for the top notch jockeys, trainers, owners, racing press, and bettors to take a 3 week vacation.

Jeff it's also a good time for punters to take 3 weeks off -- I almost never get too excited by anything at that meet.

Zaf
09-29-2004, 11:12 PM
I took a look at the past performances the first or second day it was open and didn't look again. Hooray for Oak Tree :) !

ZAFONIC

cj
09-30-2004, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by zafonic
The plan may be to enlarge the track to a 1 mile oval and possibly have a turf course. Then they are going to try to steal some dates from Hollywood. I heard this on the Roger Stein show a few weeks ago. Any truth to this ???

ZAFONIC

Speaking of Stein, has we won yet since the TVG mockery? Surely he could get one home at the fair!

delayjf
09-30-2004, 01:47 PM
Jeff it's also a good time for punters to take 3 weeks off -- I almost never get too excited by anything at that meet.

Thats probably the best reason for running the meet that I've heard.

The plan may be to enlarge the track to a 1 mile oval and possibly have a turf course.

I've heard this for several years now, it would be a big improvement.

Also, it seems that other than the Jockeys, the same trainers are still winning the races.

kenwoodallpromos
09-30-2004, 02:21 PM
Fairplex $$ is much greater, but Pleasanton races bring $400,00 into the Alameda County coffers; the local areas profit much by fair racing, especially because they subsitute for big circuits instead of just having a very minor meets like non-Ca fairs do.
A nice thoroughbred "farm system".

Speed Figure
09-30-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by cj
Speaking of Stein, has we won yet since the TVG mockery? Surely he could get one home at the fair!
He did win one race at DMR. The winner paid $4.60 in a N1X race. He's now 1 for 40 after that same horse ran 4th in the 7th race at SA.

Dancer's Image
10-01-2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by zafonic

ZAFONIC

You are right, Zafonic...

Fairplex Park _
Funds for Fairplex growth OK'd
By STEVE ANDERSEN
California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed legislation Thursday that will aid the Los Angeles County Fair in gaining financing to expand its racetrack at Fairplex Park from five furlongs to one-mile in circumference.
George Bradvica, equine manager of the Los Angeles County Fair, said the bill would divert a portion of the state's share of the takeout to pay for construction projects to expand the racetrack. The earliest the property would be expanded would be 2006, Bradvica said.
Bradvica said the expansion of the dirt track would cost an estimated $25 million, and the project would require the destruction of several buildings used as exhibit space for the county fair and the relocation of seven of the nine barns used to house horses for the Barretts sale.