PDA

View Full Version : WHAT TO DO ??? IDEAS THOUGHTS ETC.

hyipro
04-01-2019, 12:34 PM
A word about Windows 7 seems appropriate here. You may have read articles in the tech press that Microsoft will end support for Windows 7 in January 2020. If you're running a computer with Windows 7, that does not mean that it will stop working next January 14th. Nor will you be forced to upgrade to Windows 10 at that point. It does mean that you will no longer receive Windows updates for security issues that arise after that date. Probably. Microsoft has extended these "end of support" dates in the past, but there's no guarantee they will do so. When the end of support for Windows 7 does arrive, you'll need to decide of you want to stick with a 10-year-old operating system, or move to Windows 10, which is arguably more secure. If, between now and then, you end up retiring your old computer and purchasing new, your choice will be made for you.

Tom
04-01-2019, 05:20 PM
I'm still using XP with no problems.
However, a lot of websites are not allowing XP any more, so I am forced to upgrade to W10 - I have a laptop I bought used, but before the first major upgrade, so I will have figure how to get it up to date. Not looking forward to the experience!

Mulerider
04-01-2019, 07:02 PM
I'm still using XP with no problems.
However, a lot of websites are not allowing XP any more, so I am forced to upgrade to W10 - I have a laptop I bought used, but before the first major upgrade, so I will have figure how to get it up to date. Not looking forward to the experience!

If you decide you don't like the W10 UI, you can get a little freeware program called Classic Start. Makes it look just like old versions of Windows.

MacTavish
04-03-2019, 09:20 AM
https://www.geeksinphoenix.com/blog/post/2018/11/29/how-to-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade-for-windows-7-and-windows-8-1.aspx

Having just gone through this exercise several times, let me recommend the above article. If you have a licensed copy of Windows 7 or 8.1, you can upgrade to Windows 10 for free with an "in-place upgrade". Basically, you start up Windows 7 or 8.1 and put your Windows 10 installation disk in the CD drive and it upgrades from "inside" Windows 7. It saves your data files and your programs which takes away so much of the pain of upgrading.

There are some older computers that won't run Windows 10, like my old IBM ThinkPad. I also had a video card in an old desktop that Windows 10 would not support, so I had to upgrade to a newer card. One of the good features about Windows 10 though is that it will alert you to these problems early in the process so you don't waste half a day for nothing.

If you don't like the Windows 10 interface with the tiles and the lengthy alphabetical list of programs (and I don't), try Class Shell which makes it look like Windows 7.

http://www.classicshell.net/

Dave Schwartz
04-03-2019, 10:58 AM
If you decide you don't like the W10 UI, you can get a little freeware program called Classic Start. Makes it look just like old versions of Windows.

The big issue with Win10 is that it will not run 16-bit software like Win7-32 will.

That means that a whole bunch of older handicapping software will not run and there is no work around.

(My software is fine as it compiles into 32-bit.)

JimG
04-03-2019, 11:26 AM
The big issue with Win10 is that it will not run 16-bit software like Win7-32 will.

That means that a whole bunch of older handicapping software will not run and there is no work around.

I still have win 7-32bit but is this article not accurate regarding win10-32bit?

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/enable-16-bit-application-support-windows-10/

Jim

Light
04-05-2019, 02:13 PM
I have an old Dos handicapping program that cannot run on Win10. So I installed a virtual machine that opens up a windows XP environment with the Dos prompt within W10. I'm using VMware Workstation but there are many options out there.

MacTavish
04-05-2019, 06:07 PM

If your computer is running a 32-bit version of Windows 7 or 8.1, Windows 10 will detect it and install a 32-bit version of Windows 10, which takes care of the old 16-bit program problem. (While I am not a big fan of Microsoft, I'll concede that Windows 10 is a good operating system.)

jeebus1083
04-05-2019, 06:51 PM
If your computer is running a 32-bit version of Windows 7 or 8.1, Windows 10 will detect it and install a 32-bit version of Windows 10, which takes care of the old 16-bit program problem. (While I am not a big fan of Microsoft, I'll concede that Windows 10 is a good operating system.)

You can also download VMWare or Virtualbox and if you have an ISO image of XP 32-bit, install XP to the virtual client. That takes care of the 16-bit software issue. Just make sure that your computer has sufficient memory to handle running the virtual environment and your native OS. 8GB RAMs should suffice, but 16GB is optimal.

46zilzal
04-26-2019, 09:40 AM
Even if you update to higher levels of Windows, you can still run XP in a virtual machine

Joseph B. Owen
01-15-2020, 05:49 AM
Now,i have upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7,and although I know Windows 7 will still work, Microsoft doesn't support it, which means future Windows 7 will be vulnerable to viruses.

Sparky13
01-16-2020, 08:28 AM
I still have Windows 7 on my PC. Yesterday, 1/15/2020, when I started my PC, I got the warning that Windows would no longer support Windows 7 after 1/14/2020 with any upgrades. When I signed off my PC, Windows upgraded my PC 3 times. And this morning 1/16/2020, the upgrades were placed on my PC. Whoops, Windows.

Dave Schwartz
01-16-2020, 09:11 AM
I still have Windows 7 on my PC. Yesterday, 1/15/2020, when I started my PC, I got the warning that Windows would no longer support Windows 7 after 1/14/2020 with any upgrades. When I signed off my PC, Windows upgraded my PC 3 times. And this morning 1/16/2020, the upgrades were placed on my PC. Whoops, Windows.

What they mean is that MS will not produce any new upgrades.

headhawg
01-16-2020, 09:15 AM
Here's the Win7 poop from a guy who knows what he's talking about: Windows 7 EoL info (https://www.computerworld.com/article/3514436/windows-7-end-of-support-separating-the-bull-from-the-horns.html)

Dave Schwartz
01-16-2020, 02:13 PM
Here's the Win7 poop from a guy who knows what he's talking about: Windows 7 EoL info (https://www.computerworld.com/article/3514436/windows-7-end-of-support-separating-the-bull-from-the-horns.html)

That was an awesome link, HeadHawg.

:ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

Tom
01-16-2020, 02:33 PM
I have a laptop I bought used with W10 on it - the very first version.

I need to get that up an running because a lot site are not allowing me on using XP anymore.

I guess my big ?? is what is the first step I should take - start up, register it, then activate the antivirus stuff? Before updating the OS?

TX

Red Knave
01-17-2020, 01:32 PM
I guess my big ?? is what is the first step I should take - start up, register it, then activate the antivirus stuff? Before updating the OS?

TX
Regardless of whether the a/v stuff is MS or 3rd party I would do the Win10 update(s) first then use Windows Security to do a deep scan and see what it looks like. The Windows Security a/v isn't bad and imho you should also let Win10 do it's updates every week.

hyipro
01-17-2020, 04:07 PM
For business reasons I had no choice but to update to Win 10, but I wanted
to keep my win 7 64 bit and win 7 32 bit functional for a variety of both
business and personal reasons. The solution for me was to get a cassette
deck which can hold up to 6 SSD drives one deck has 10,one has 64 and
one has 32 bit. This is all running on one computer when I do a restart
I just pick the operating system I wish to work with. It has been several
weeks now, with very little in the way of issues, each drive has ESET
anti virus.

AltonKelsey
01-18-2020, 01:42 AM
Most of what that guy said was ok, 'cept I'd patch as asap when a zero day is announced. Why not ?

And though there seems to be much misinformation out there, MSE signature updates supposedly will continue.

Simply stopping those updates cold would leave Microsoft in the position of being responsible for a lot of unnecessary pain , and make it real easy for the bad guys to get well.

jay68802
01-18-2020, 02:30 AM
I have a laptop I bought used with W10 on it - the very first version.

I need to get that up an running because a lot site are not allowing me on using XP anymore.

TX

First step:

4 shots of rum.

Second step:

Turn on your computer,

Third step:

3 shots of rum......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7rFYbMhcG8

jay68802
01-18-2020, 02:42 AM
If you need a lighter, I can barrow you one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDQANmQO2g0

Tom
01-18-2020, 02:24 PM
First step:

4 shots of rum.

Second step:

Turn on your computer,

Third step:

3 shots of rum......

OH! NOW I get it!

4 shots of rum and 3 shots of rum gets you to Windows 7.

so I need 3 more shots to update to Windows 10! :headbanger::headbanger::headbanger:

headhawg
02-20-2020, 10:43 PM
Below is a link to a thread about obtaining extended support for Windows 7 even if you are NOT a business with volume licensing. Harbor Computers is selling the Win7 ESU, and will sell it to individuals. The whole thread is important but look at the posts from January 20 and January 23 to confirm that this is valid. You MUST have Win7 Pro or Ultimate - this will not work for the Home edition. You should be tech and/or Windows savvy to make this work as M$ isn't going to make this an easy process. Disclaimer: I have not purchased the ESU as of yet, but I am seriously thinking about it.

Link: https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/got-questions-about-esu-patches-we-got-answers/