PDA

View Full Version : Life long Republican - Ike's boy endorses Kerry

Secretariat
09-29-2004, 10:50 AM
http://www.theunionleader.com/articles_showa.html?article=44657

andicap
09-29-2004, 11:00 AM
"Well, he's obviously a left-wing wacko!!!
And he's a traitor!
And he's empowering our enemies!
And probably an athiest.
And probably has Arab friends.
And kicks his dog and beats his wife.
And he's probably adopted."

"But he voted for Reagan, twice."

"Well, look at Ron Reagan -- he spoke to the Democrats with Nancy's approval. So we all know the family is a bunch of closet leftists. Besides Eisenhower was really a wussy liberal."

"But he was a war hero."

"Oh, I know someone who knew someone who served in France who said that Omar Bradley deserved all those accolades. Eisenhower didn't do anything. He exaggerated what he did with D-Day."

betchatoo
09-29-2004, 11:03 AM
The guy was obviously kidnapped and brainwashed. Now he's just another Borg

Suff
09-29-2004, 11:22 AM
Bush's Hometown Newspaper Endorses Kerry
Tue Sep 28, 2004 01:19 PM ET
_ _
Top News

CRAWFORD, Texas (Reuters) - The newspaper in President Bush's hometown of Crawford threw its support on Tuesday behind Bush's Democratic rival, Sen. John Kerry.

The weekly Lone Star Iconoclast criticized Bush's handling of the war in Iraq and for turning budget surpluses into record deficits. The editorial also criticized Bush's proposals on Social Security and Medicare.

"The publishers of The Iconoclast endorsed Bush four years ago, based on the things he promised, not on this smoke-screened agenda," the newspaper said in its editorial. "Today, we are endorsing his opponent, John Kerry."

It urged "Texans not to rate the candidate by his hometown or even his political party, but instead by where he intends to take the country."

PaceAdvantage
09-29-2004, 12:19 PM
Bush's hometown paper has a circulation of 400...good way for them to get some free national advertising....lol

cj
09-29-2004, 12:24 PM
Lone Star Iconoclast

I thought you meant a newspaper, not some rag thats biggest headline is the local grocer's latest produce sales! I also suspect the circulation just cut itself in half.

Lefty
09-29-2004, 12:47 PM
Prob. more Dems voting for Bush than other way around but so what, either way, the pipples will decide. Looks like Kerry getting more desperate every day. No matter what the polls, no matter what's written in what newspaper, Bush does what he thinks is right.
That's leadership!

JustRalph
09-29-2004, 01:20 PM
I get more spam than that paper has readers...............!

Equineer
09-29-2004, 02:02 PM
Except for Lefty, why do all the posts following Suff's belittle the newspaper? Are any of you Iconoclast subscibers? If not, how can you assail the editor's examination of the issues that eventually resulted in this endorsement? The editor of the Iconoclast may have a better grasp of the issues than either Kerry or Bush.

The campaigns are all about striving to say what people want to hear, and not necessarily what they should hear... for both candidates, 2004 has been a timeout from reality.

cj
09-29-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Equineer
Except for Lefty, why do all the posts following Suff's belittle the newspaper? Are any of you Iconoclast subscibers? If not, how can you assail the editor's examination of the issues that eventually resulted in this endorsement? The editor of the Iconoclast may have a better grasp of the issues than either Kerry or Bush.

The campaigns are all about striving to say what people want to hear, and not necessarily what they should hear... for both candidates, 2004 has been a timeout from reality.

I'm not belittling the newspaper, I'm just saying it doesn't carry much weight. Lefty gets more circulation than that guy does just by posting here on this board.

kenwoodallpromos
09-29-2004, 03:24 PM
The same Mancheswter newspaper, under sex offenders, list over 200 sex offenders in their city.

Equineer
09-29-2004, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by kenwoodallpromos
The same Mancheswter newspaper, under sex offenders, list over 200 sex offenders in their city. What's this about? While dating services are expensive, and many are bogus rip-offs, they are still safer and saner for lonelyhearts than combing the sex offender listings. I think this is an ill-advised reading recommendation unless you are raising a family in Manchester. :eek:

schweitz
09-29-2004, 05:27 PM
It's amazing how some of you get excited over someone who has voted republican in the past switching his vote this time---or a newspaper endorsing Kerry (what a shock)---kind of grasping for any good news, don't you think.:rolleyes:

JustRalph
09-29-2004, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by kenwoodallpromos
The same Mancheswter newspaper, under sex offenders, list over 200 sex offenders in their city.
80% of convicted felon's vote Democratic according to a poll I read a few weeks back. I am not sure I believe it though........sample size was pretty small.............:D

Equineer
09-29-2004, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by JustRalph
80% of convicted felon's vote Democratic according to a poll I read a few weeks back. I am not sure I believe it though........sample size was pretty small.............:D Good point, if credible... certainly implies the Union Leader's endorsement will not be aimed at influencing undecided sex offenders! :)

You are indispensible here JR. I totally admire your dedication... so many fragmentary thoughts to complete... so little time until the election!

Tom
09-29-2004, 06:07 PM
andicap.....

Great insight!
You have your finger on the pusle of this nation!
Proud to know you!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek: :eek: :eek:

JustRalph
09-29-2004, 06:45 PM
Google Reveals this on felon's voting democratic

http://talkleft.com/new_archives/003822.html

Big Bill
09-29-2004, 07:53 PM
Equineer,

Your appraisal of this campaign, ... "for both candidates, 2004 has been a timeout from reality", is the best I've heard and you should get an award for it!

Big Bill

ljb
09-29-2004, 08:19 PM
andicap,
Tom bit. Hook line and sinker. Neat!

ljb
09-29-2004, 08:22 PM
From PA
Bush's hometown paper has a circulation of 400...good way for them to get some free national advertising....lol

I think they just wanted to assure the rest of the world that not everybody from Crawford is living in a fantasy world.

Secretariat
09-29-2004, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Lefty
...Bush does what he thinks is right.
That's leadership!

The captain of the Titanic did what he thought was right too Lefty...

Lefty
09-30-2004, 03:55 AM
sec, non-analagous!

hcap
09-30-2004, 06:45 AM
Doing what you think is right is not necessarily leadership.
The Titanic captain, and the Gallipoli campaign generals, also thought they were doing right. The lead dumb lemming directing the dumb lemming followers over the cliff is not what I call a leader.

Lefty, just don't open any portholes

:rolleyes:

ljb
09-30-2004, 07:29 AM
Speaking of Bush doing what he thinks is right.
Bin laden wanted the troops out of Saudi Arabia.
Bush complied with this terroists demand sometime in 2003.

cj
09-30-2004, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by ljb
Speaking of Bush doing what he thinks is right.
Bin laden wanted the troops out of Saudi Arabia.
Bush complied with this terroists demand sometime in 2003.

You are always good for a laugh! Is there nothing you can't spin? There were reasons we left Saudi, not one of which had anything to do with Usama wanting us out.

Lefty
09-30-2004, 11:39 AM
hcap, it's better than flipflopping and not knowing your position at all. On Diane Sawyer she asked Kerry if going into Iraq was the right thing to do. He said it depends on the outcome. The Pres. does not have the luxery of knowing the outcome before he acts. I'll take a leader not a talker.

Suff
09-30-2004, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage

Crawford only has a Population of 705, Including Men, women and children. So a circulation of 425 shows a 80% Penetration rate among adult citizens, which is 10 times that of The NY Post and/or the NY times has in New York City.

btw.... President Bush is a subsricber! A Copy has been sent to His ranch from the day he moved in.

schweitz
09-30-2004, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Suff
Crawford only has a Population of 705, Including Men, women and children. So a circulation of 425 shows a 80% Penetration rate among adult citizens, which is 10 times that of The NY Post and/or the NY times has in New York City.

btw.... President Bush is a subsricber! A Copy has been sent to His ranch from the day he moved in.

It will be interesting to see how the town of Crawford votes in this election.

hcap
09-30-2004, 02:52 PM
Lefty,

George W. Bush, when asked by Bob Woodward "how is history likely to judge your Iraq war?" replied, "History, we don't know. We'll all be dead." (Woodward Shares War Secrets, CBS News, 60 Minutes, April 18, 2004).

Maybe we should not care about the results of actions we take today, 'cause we will all be dead when the results are posted. Rushing semi-blindly into an ill conceived war can be judged today. Does not make a strong leader by itself. Headstrong, yes.

We should judge the Iraq war today. And its architects
If you give a car to a mechanic, and when he gives it back to you the engine doesn't start and the doors fall off, do you take it back to that same mechanic again to have it fixed? John Kerry or not be able to fix this fiasco. But it is apparent the preznit cannot.

George W. Bush doesn't even think that its a disaster. He thinks that it's only a disaster because the media isn't reporting the positive news. He thinks that the doors aren't really falling off the car, so there's no reason to fix them. Why aren't they reporting the positive news? Most reporters in Iraq are scared to leave the safety of the green zone. That's why.

Kerry has been more consistant than bush.
Bush is the flip flop king.
Our original point is still alive more than ever......

Anybody But Bush

JustRalph
09-30-2004, 03:05 PM
hcap

yep...........you only believe what the cool aid salesmen tell you don't you?

I was sitting in a restaurant the other night listening to a soldier back from Iraq tell me about how much better things are getting in Iraq and the fact that the news we get here is all bogus. He also informed me that 85% of Iraq is secure. The insurgents are losing slowly but surely. The prime minister of Iraq said the other day that terrorists are streaming into Iraq. He is right. And they are being beaten on the streets of Iraq by soldiers. Not cops in the streets of New York or Chicago. Think about that little fact.

He tells me it is tough duty, and he isn't having very much fun, but he says that almost every Iraqi he meets on the street offer him gifts and "thank you's" the ones who don't were connected to the old Government. He tells us that the most prized possession in Iraq right now is the "Sat. Dish" for news. He says that if they lose power in an area.........the Iraqi's complain that "they are going to miss their shows" not that they need the electric for anything else................

so keep on believing everything you see on Hardball and the big three networks........just remember they are deceiving you. Drop over to CNN for the rehashed deception.................

Suff
09-30-2004, 03:30 PM
Residents are'nt allowed to randomly approach US Soldiers at anytime in General Public. Especially carry packages (gifts or otherwise). Its too Dangerous, with roughly 80 attacks a day and 2500 attacks a month on US Troops or affilates.

Most of the country has less than 8 hours of power a day, Bagdhad has less than 12. They need power for cooking, airconditioning, Hospitals etc..

School attendance has dropped significantly because Parents are petrified to send thier Kids out.

The Violence is everywhere, except the Kurdish North.
100% of the remaining parts of Iraq are experiencing Daily violence. From The Kuwait Border to the Sunni Triangle, Points west and east.

Iraq's a Mess. WMD's, removal of a dictator, Nation Building, Terrorist defeating, Fight them There rather than here..
I mean.. The excuses and reasons that are given are endless... No matter what conditions exist or events transpire.. People just want to continously insist that the Bush Administartion is executing a plan that will work. Its amazing. Who's on the Kool-Aid?

Bush said History will Judge. But we have a Historical reference point. Vietnam. #1 The US Military is not designed to resolve Political Conflicts.. They are designed to destroy things. Not hand out food and arrest people. #2 The Majority of Iraqi's that are volunteering for the Police and Army are doing so only because its the ONLY Job they can get. Just like the South Vietnamese... they have no interest in Fighting thier own people and will and have cooperated with the insurgents. They walk away from Battles, They sell they're weapons and equipment to the Highest Bidder

Just last week the US arrested the General of the Iraqi Army for Cooperating with the Insurgents. We ARM them... and they turn around and give or sell the weapons to the Insurgents , who then turn around and KILL Americans with the Weapons we bought and supplied. Its Tragic and Frightening...

From Chalibi... who you remeber sat next to Laura Bush at the State of The UNION., who later was an IRANIAN spy.. to the Recent Arrest of the General who was a Double Crosser...
From Abu Garib, to WMD's to ...on and on and on it goes..

Recent Reports shows 100's... Not 10's but 100's of US Reserves who returned to the US for Leave are NOT returning when called back. Our Desertion rate has skyrocketed.

Things are Terrible there. Any other description is serious partisan coolaid as I have never witnessed in 25 years of Following Politics.

Vote whatever way your heart desires. But don't embarass your fellow american citizens by telling them you believe we're on the right track or the situation is improving.

Secretariat
09-30-2004, 03:35 PM
bush's latest compassion towards our soliders from the Minneapolis Tribune.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/587/5007831.html

And Lefty, Bush is hubris personified my friend... hubris pure and simple. The Greeks knew something about it.

ElKabong
09-30-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Secretariat
http://www.theunionleader.com/articles_showa.html?article=44657

You can have Ike's son, we'll take Zell Miller.

Always will have cross overs, no big deal.

hcap
09-30-2004, 03:45 PM
Jr, to add to what Suff has posted, maybe your soldiers tale is somewhat off the larger picture
From Juan Cole..
http://www.juancole.com/

"It is indisputable that the Iraq situation is Fouled Up Beyond Repair, or FUBAR. The number of daily attacks has gone above 80. The Green Zone where the government offices are is taking mortar fire. Little of the country is actually under control, and it goes further out of control at the drop of a hat. Amarah was in full rebellion against the British in late August, forcing them to fire 100,000 rounds of ammunition in a major battle of which most Americans remain completely unaware. The country is witnessing a guerrilla war that is vast in geographical reach, such that the guerrillas struck British troops and National Guardsmen in the far southern city of Basra on Tuesday. Americans have little appreciation of geography, and still less of foreign geography, but let's put it this way. The guerrillas were battling in Fallujah and Basra on the same day. They are over 300 miles apart. This is like being able to strike in both Youngstown, Ohio and Baltimore, Md. on the same day. The guerrilla resistance is not small, or localized, or confined to only 3 provinces.

Many in the CIA have concluded that "There's no obvious way to fix it. The best we can hope for is a semi-failed state hobbling along with terrorists and a succession of weak governments."

Some other tidbits from various sources..

1-Bush's suggestion that the ''insurgents'' are mostly Arab troublemakers who have sneaked into Iraq is laughable. He has created in Iraq a nation of terrorists who will come back to haunt us. He has maneuvered the United States into the Big Muddy and has no idea how to get us out without a serious loss of prestige. That, if anyone remembers, was Henry Kissinger's argument for continuing the Vietnam War four more years.

2-George W. Bush was a supporter of the war in Vietnam. For a while. As he explained in his autobiography, "A Charge to Keep: My Journey to the White House":

"My inclination was to support the government and the war until proven wrong, and that only came later, as I realized we could not explain the mission, had no exit strategy, and did not seem to be fighting to win."

3-According to Bob Woodward's "Bush At War," the president attended a New York Yankees game not long after the 9/11 attacks. Wearing a New York City fireman's jacket, Bush threw out the first pitch and the crowd roared its approval. From a sky box above the stadium, Karl Rove, Bush's political adviser, likened the roar of the crowd to "a Nazi rally."

Nazi rally? I think it's time to throw these guys out.
Then again wanna hear about Jerry Fallwell?

Secretariat
09-30-2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by ElKabong
You can have Ike's son, we'll take Zell Miller.

Always will have cross overs, no big deal.

Please! Take Zell....I'll take Ike's kid anyday....

schweitz
09-30-2004, 03:54 PM
Doom and gloom---doom and gloom--nothing is going right--everything is going bad---it's Viet Nam all over again. Don't try and tell me about Nam---I lived it---and don't pretend to tell me about embarassing my fellow Americans---I have a few thoughts on who is embarassing who. And now we have the left using the draft scare---which party is it that started the draft last time---which party ended the draft---which party currently has a bill about the draft? I have 3 sons age 19,21,23 all in college--I'm not worried about the draft and neither are they; in fact the 23yr old is enlisting this spring after he graduates---he wants to work for the FBI.

Sorry, just had to let off steam--the shrill panic from the left as they realize that their guy is not going to win and most of the country doesn't think like them is wearing me out.

ljb
09-30-2004, 04:16 PM
From Schwietz
Doom and gloom---doom and gloom--nothing is going right--everything is going bad---it's Viet Nam all over again.

Sad isn't it? :D

ElKabong
09-30-2004, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by schweitz
Doom and gloom---doom and gloom--nothing is going right--everything is going bad---it's Viet Nam all over again. Don't try and tell me about Nam---I lived it---and don't pretend to tell me about embarassing my fellow Americans---I have a few thoughts on who is embarassing who. And now we have the left using the draft scare---which party is it that started the draft last time---which party ended the draft---which party currently has a bill about the draft? I have 3 sons age 19,21,23 all in college--I'm not worried about the draft and neither are they; in fact the 23yr old is enlisting this spring after he graduates---he wants to work for the FBI.

Sorry, just had to let off steam--the shrill panic from the left as they realize that their guy is not going to win and most of the country doesn't think like them is wearing me out.

Excellent for your oldest kid, Schweitz! And you're correct, that Mil Draft bill has Dems names on it. Just another scare tactic by the Kerrybots, it's all they have now, less the spitballs.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/01/07/rangel.draft/

http://hollings.senate.gov/~hollings/press/2003108C06.html

JustRalph
09-30-2004, 05:16 PM
I will take my source who just went back to Iraq over whomever your source is suff. He has been walking the streets of Iraq 3 days a week and dodging mortar attacks at night.

Lefty
09-30-2004, 10:53 PM
what you call hubris is resoluteness. This Pres does what he thinks is right not what he thinks is popular.
I think Zel Miller and ex Mayor Koch carry more political wght than Ikes son. All war is disaster but we must pull victory from the disaster and change the course of the world. This seems just too much for you libs to comprehend.
Most soldiers that come back from Iraq tell quite a diff story than the mainstream press.
Btw, how many times has Kerry been to visit the troops in Iraq?

hcap
10-01-2004, 06:13 AM
Pulling Back the Curtain: What a Top Reporter in Baghdad Really Thinks About the War.

"Wall Street Journal correspondent Farnaz Fassihi confirms that she penned a scathing letter that calls the war in Iraq an outright "disaster." She also reveals that reporters in Baghdad are working under "virtual house arrest."

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/columns/pressingissues_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=10006505 51

JR, Lefty, schweitz, Elk, we are not making this stuff up. Here is the Wall Street Journal, chimming in. This is the primary reason why so many of us want the neocons out. We are not safer now.

also

http://www.startribune.com/stories/561/5009661.html

wes
10-01-2004, 08:37 AM
Farnaz Fassihi confirms virtual house arrest

That is where most belong.

wes

Tom
10-01-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Lefty
Btw, how many times has Kerry been to visit the troops in Iraq?

He was going in July, but he got a paper cut on a magazine on his flight over so he went back home early. Put in for a "purple owie", too.

Lefty
10-01-2004, 11:50 AM
Why do I get the feeling that as long as Bush is in charge the libs want us to lose this war?
As Bush pointed out last night 75% of Bin Ladin's top men are in jail or dead. Sure seems safer. So far, so good. Sorry you libs want to keep saying we're not; sounds like the politics of fear to me.