PDA

View Full Version : Gambling at work

Valuist
09-28-2004, 09:41 AM
Do you gamble from work? I know there's some people that are firewalled out, or don't have the privacy to do it. We already know that Internet use in the workplace is very high; I'd have to believe a decent percentage of people on here have bet from work.

betchatoo
09-28-2004, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Valuist
Do you gamble from work? I know there's some people that are firewalled out, or don't have the privacy to do it. We already know that Internet use in the workplace is very high; I'd have to believe a decent percentage of people on here have bet from work.

I gamble from work all of the time. In fact I do almost all my gambling from work. Of course since I work out of my home...

sq764
09-28-2004, 10:15 AM
I have never tried..

Sometimes when I have a long, boring conference call, it allows me time to do my handicapping for 2-3 tracks.. I just wait to hear my name on the call, otherwise the focus is on the tracks..

I was going to watch some replays the other day using Youbet, but I am a little weary of going on their site from work.

Buddha
09-28-2004, 11:53 AM
I dont have internet access where I work, but have bet online with my cell phone from work. I am getting a data cable for my cell phone that will allow me to use my laptop to connect to the internet while at work, and have no restrictions as to what I can and cant access.

ceejay
09-28-2004, 12:46 PM
I gamble for work, being in oil and gas exploration. I don't bet on horses or anything else when I'm working from my home-based office.

andicap
09-28-2004, 01:45 PM
All the time.
Of course I'm self-employed and work at home.

:)

kingfin66
09-28-2004, 02:51 PM
I work for the State of Washington. The computer at work, including all electronic messaging systems, must be used for work only. There is di minimus use of the internet for personal reasons, but what is deemed acceptable isn't very well defined. What I do is take my laptop along to work, then tote it to a WI-FI cafe at lunchtime. There, I can handicap, place a couple of quick bets, then go back to work.

chickenhead
09-28-2004, 03:13 PM
I bet from work on and off.....handicap the night before or at lunchtime...only takes a few minutes to lay down some bets...no big deal.

cj
09-28-2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Valuist

I plead the 5th...

ceejay
09-28-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by cj
I plead the 5th...

Which horse in the 5th???;)

sq764
09-28-2004, 05:28 PM
cj, so this is where all our defense money is going.. into your Pinnacle account..

JustRalph
09-28-2004, 05:28 PM
I used to play from work. My boss was very good about my playing. He used to let me print the form out and it wasn't unusual for me to print 125-150 pages a day and play 20 races a day while working. He did make me buy a toner cartridge everytime I got to 5000 sheets (the server kept track of my printing) and reams of paper. But we were a computer store-retailer so I got it all real cheap. It was a tech support phone center and I was the boss (besides my boss, the dept. head) so I had pretty much free reign. The guys who worked for me were into it a little and every once in a while a nice longshot would come in and I would jump out of my chair and start rooting near the wire. I had a deal with the guys who worked for me, everytime I profitted $500 on a race I bought pizza. I did have my best day ever, while at that job. 15k in one race and all the guys were watching with me. It was a Saturday. So the boss wasn't around. We did some major hooting and hollering during that day! I miss that job........like thousands of others in the Tech industry.........it is gone!

Valuist
09-28-2004, 05:55 PM
Nothing like getting re-bated while on the job. Somehow that sounds like doing something naughty.

Blackgold
09-28-2004, 08:22 PM
And if your boss won't allow you internet access to get the odds, scratches, etc. . . then do it by cell phone, the next frontier. . .video by cell phone isn't that far off.

As for me, I'm self employed so instead of following rules dictated by pinheads, I get to be one.

Tom
09-28-2004, 08:29 PM
Nothing like a loooong conference call to allow you to:

1. Lock your office door for privacy
2. Print out tomorrow's races
3. Study the PPs

Just disagree with everything and get everyone arguing over minor points and you make these suckers last for hours.

Dan Montilion
09-28-2004, 09:07 PM
I lost my brakes on the way down MT. San Bruno while working as a Teamster... Does that count as gambling?

Dan (Side OF The Mountain) Montilion

cj
09-29-2004, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by sq764
cj, so this is where all our defense money is going.. into your Pinnacle account..

To be honest, I haven't placed a bet at work here in NATO. I'm never working during racing hours, so its not an issue.

In the States, I would use my cell phone to bet occasionally, but never used the government computers to do this. 19 years is a lot of time to piss away over a bet, LOL.

I have checked results of course, but that isn't illegal for us.

BigJake
09-29-2004, 10:39 PM
I can't gamble at work do to site blocks. I can see how gambling at work can keep you from doing your job, but the race book I use lets me bet before I go to work, but my work won't let me access sites to get results. People sit and look at PGA scores and sports scores all day and I think its a bit unfair that I can't check out results.

Big Jake

sq764
09-29-2004, 10:49 PM
Jake, you need to start betting baseball, football and golf, it's that easy :-)

JustRalph
09-29-2004, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by BigJake
I can't gamble at work do to site blocks. I can see how gambling at work can keep you from doing your job, but the race book I use lets me bet before I go to work, but my work won't let me access sites to get results. People sit and look at PGA scores and sports scores all day and I think its a bit unfair that I can't check out results.

Big Jake

Jake.........what's the difference in the pages your fellow workers access, versus the results pages? give me two examples of what they look at and what you can't see........maybe we can get around it with a little creative HTML?

ranchwest
09-30-2004, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by BigJake

Big Jake

Jake, I use my Sprint phone to access Bristbet.com from wherever I am that I need to check it out.

Since I've been on my current job, I've mostly been playing the Mountain, so I haven't needed to wager or check results from work, but the cell phone is the safe way to go.

BigJake
09-30-2004, 10:48 PM
Scott, I just realized who you were. We don't have to talk about these crazy little subjects on the message board.

Ralph,

The people checking out sports can look at yahoo or espn. I try and check out results on drf or specific site tracks (ie nyra.com or keenland.com) and I am blocked out. The concern I have with creative html is I was checking out drf.com but now its all of a sudden blocked. Do they know Big Jake is the result checking criminal or did they just block it on a whim?

Big Jake

JustRalph
09-30-2004, 11:13 PM
Jake

try this one.........until they catch it...........

http://www.justralph.com/results.htm

Dan
09-30-2004, 11:40 PM
And don't forget that a lot of them are checking the Stock Market all day long besides buying and selling stocks. And they are against gambling?

:)

sq764
10-01-2004, 09:49 AM
Bigjake, remind me who you are?