PDA

View Full Version : Virus FYI

BillW
09-27-2004, 10:45 PM
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04-028.mspx

This virus involves displaying jpeg images. I just read that the exploit has been posted to usenet so every 12 hood out in cyberland can play with it.

Remember to practice safe sex next time your drooling over a jpeg of your favorite playmate as she may be infecting your computer. :D

Caveat: I have no first hand knowledge of this info, just posting it to be on the cautious side ... do with it what you will.

Bill

Tom
09-27-2004, 11:12 PM
Is there nothing out there that Micro-crap cannot stop?
Must be the quality control guys over at Sim Weakly work for MS as well!:D

JustRalph
09-27-2004, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Tom
Is there nothing out there that Micro-crap cannot stop?
Must be the quality control guys over at Sim Weakly work for MS as well!:D

Tom

If as many guys were going after some other operating system, as they are after MSFT, then you would be hearing more about those other operating systems being comprimised too. There is no incentive to go after others..........not enough users. That is not to say that MSFT hasn't left giant holes.......they have. But it is a matter of exposure also.

BillW
09-28-2004, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by JustRalph
Tom

If as many guys were going after some other operating system, as they are after MSFT, then you would be hearing more about those other operating systems being comprimised too. There is no incentive to go after others..........not enough users. That is not to say that MSFT hasn't left giant holes.......they have. But it is a matter of exposure also.

Ralph,

Microsoft is the only system that I am aware of that allows transmission of executables via e-mail (Outlook) and web browser (I.E.- ActiveX - spyware) which is a primary source of headache. Otherwise you are correct.

Bill

BillW
09-28-2004, 01:43 AM
Correction:

I mis-spoke above, browsers other than I.E. support executables via Java and other mechanisms all supporting a security model though.

JustRalph
09-28-2004, 01:48 AM
I agree with everything you say Bill. But MSFT has fixed these problems and in fact fixed them way back..........they just made it a chore to learn about and invoke the security. I think their basic misdeed was underestimating the varied nature that the attacks would encompass. They were shortsighted. wouldn't be the first time..............a large company would be caught with their pants down. Won't be the last either..........even for MSFT.