PDA

View Full Version : delimited files help needed

masterpeg
09-27-2004, 08:37 PM
I am on the looong road to building my own access handicapping sheet. I have successfully imported drf delimited files but have noticed many changes from the original files.

I have also noticed discrepencies in some of the times and lenghts back as well as the addition of adjusted lengths back.

Does anyone know of a tutorial on how to read the delimited files and have you come accross the same findings as I have with the numbers being different. I can tell they are adjusted to tenths, but even then they dont correlate correctly all the time.

Jeff P
09-27-2004, 09:10 PM
If you are using Bris files, they have data file structures posted on their site.

http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/static.cgi?page=library#DATA

Question: What discrepencies have you noticed?

masterpeg
09-27-2004, 10:25 PM
so far I have noticed a difference in the first call of some horses. Oddly enough they also provide a 5 call before the final time.

the lengths back also aren't correct.

I have never looked at delimited files before in this way....it is probably the norm for all of you, but i wasn't expecting all of the extra information to wade through.

Equineer
09-27-2004, 10:54 PM
BRIS calls correspond to result charts; however, BRIS margins are expressed like past-performance running lines.

Horse call positions correspond to result charts:

START (call)
1ST-CALL
2ND-CALL
3RD-CALL
STRETCH (call)
FINISH-POS (call)

You have to consider the race distance in order to build past-performance-style running lines.

However, margins express either beaten lengths or leading margin in the manner such margins appear in DRF past-performance running lines.

Here are some partial length conversions:

0.00 = dead-even/dead-heat
0.06 = nose
0.13 = head
0.25 = neck

A good way to grasp everything is to print some past-performances with BRIS PP Generator, then compare the printed PPs with the data you extracted from the same files... shows you how BRIS did the conversions that you want to make.

masterpeg
09-27-2004, 11:39 PM
well...I dont have any bris files and prefer to use drf right now. I have used bris before, but never delimited files. Before I actually write a program I will check it out though, I wan't the most accurate info possible and prefer to not have to make corretions.

cj
09-29-2004, 10:00 AM
masterpeg,

Are you talking DRF Formulator files, or the BRIS files with the .drf extension?

masterpeg
09-29-2004, 06:25 PM
drf formulator files

Tom
09-29-2004, 06:45 PM
The file specs for Formulator fiedls is in the user's guide. Go to the program group for Form. and open it from there.

cj
09-30-2004, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by masterpeg
drf formulator files

If you need any help with the files, give me a holler. I've been working with them for years.

masterpeg
09-30-2004, 11:54 PM
Thanks...I did find them and may have some questions in the future as I become more adept with Access.

Tom
10-01-2004, 10:45 AM
Are you using F3 or F4?

cj
10-01-2004, 11:19 AM
It doesn't matter Tom, the export files are the same.

Tom
10-01-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by cj
It doesn't matter Tom, the export files are the same. If you use F3, you can just grab the millenium db after loading it up with tracks. I believe they have F4 so that it wipes out the db after you exit it.
I never use exports anymore - just grab and run. Much faster.