PDA

View Full Version : RIP Pimlico or...

Redbullsnation
03-01-2019, 02:56 PM
https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/horse-racing/bs-md-pugh-pimlico-20190228-story,amp.html

Hope the tracks stays...

Saratoga_Mike
03-01-2019, 03:06 PM
"One bill, supported by Baltimore leaders, would establish a work group to implement a more-than-$400 million plan to rebuild 148-year-old Pimlico Race Course as a permanent home for the Preakness Stakes."

The $400 mm would include more than just redeveloping the track, but it still seems like a colossal waste of money. Move the race to LRL.

dilanesp
03-01-2019, 04:03 PM
"One bill, supported by Baltimore leaders, would establish a work group to implement a more-than-$400 million plan to rebuild 148-year-old Pimlico Race Course as a permanent home for the Preakness Stakes."

The $400 mm would include more than just redeveloping the track, but it still seems like a colossal waste of money. Move the race to LRL.

They need to move the race.

Pimlico simply doesn't make the kind of money necessary to pay for the level of rebuilding needed.

Sorry Baltimore, but tradition isn't sufficient to keep the race there.

rastajenk
03-01-2019, 04:20 PM
“The Preakness belongs to Baltimore,” said Pugh, noting that the Stronach Group receives taxpayer money. “They are getting state dollars. They can’t take state dollars and then act like they don’t have any public responsibility.”Why are they getting "state dollars" in the first place?Is that a reality-based statement, or is it like the illogic of the Amazon in Queens fiasco last month?

Saratoga_Mike
03-01-2019, 04:28 PM
Why are they getting "state dollars" in the first place?Is that a reality-based statement, or is it like the illogic of the Amazon in Queens fiasco last month?

Here's an article from December with more detail. I was mistaken - according to this article, the $400 mm+ only covers rebuilding the clubhouse and track.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-pimlico-report-20181212-story.html

Afleet
03-01-2019, 06:58 PM
When the mayor let the crazies burn down city over multiple convicted drug dealer, what do you expect? You reap what you sow

Zman179
03-02-2019, 12:06 PM
Pimlico is in a horrible neighborhood, it’s difficult to get to and, frankly, it makes no sense to pour $400 million into something for two days out of the year. The race would be much better served at Laurel.

Robert Fischer
03-02-2019, 12:12 PM
I'm fine with Pimlico, but they've already chosen Laurel. It's no longer a debate, once you get past the facade. I'm surprised that they've shown Pimlico as much respect as they have with the whole "process".

It will be 2021, 2022, or 2023... depending on how quickly they can get it done.

No infield. Expect nice Pegasus-like packages available for entertainment.

With the lack of racing at Pimlico currently, I pretty much only go to Laurel for local live racing as it is. There will be some upgrades and probably a nice 'buzz' around Laurel in general, so I can't complain.

Tom
03-02-2019, 01:51 PM
Pimlico is my favorite track, so I hate to see it go.
But no way it should upgraded by public money.

dilanesp
03-02-2019, 01:54 PM
I'm fine with Pimlico, but they've already chosen Laurel. It's no longer a debate, once you get past the facade. I'm surprised that they've shown Pimlico as much respect as they have with the whole "process".

It will be 2021, 2022, or 2023... depending on how quickly they can get it done.

No infield. Expect nice Pegasus-like packages available for entertainment.

With the lack of racing at Pimlico currently, I pretty much only go to Laurel for local live racing as it is. There will be some upgrades and probably a nice 'buzz' around Laurel in general, so I can't complain.

I imagine they may create an infield at Laurel. They sell a lot of booze at the Preakness.

Robert Fischer
03-02-2019, 03:37 PM
I imagine they may create an infield at Laurel. They sell a lot of booze at the Preakness.

Yea, I agree, but the issue has something to do with the infield grounds being 'protected wetlands?' (or some such similar property designation) which would prohibit that use.

////

also - i haven't been studying it, but on the surface the Preakness infield has more and more of a degree of a Baltimore 'party' 'frat' 'college age' element than it did in the 80s and 90s. We can quibble over personal preferences of crowd, but it's somewhat good for the game with ANY youth being a good thing, and it's been good to their business.

They ar going to want to funnel some of that dollar to Laurel in the initial years...
without the 'infield'... first thoughts would be a BIG NAME headliner act for the concert.
+ a general effort to cater to that crowd and funnel them over

Imagine they will do a fairly nice job. They'll offer some higher-end/elite stuff as well as the concert type stuff. Haven't studied the Pegasus Day marketing and packages, but they figure to use some of the same ideas.