PDA

View Full Version : Pyron- Why Racing Not Game for General Public

linrom1
02-25-2019, 01:52 PM
Pyron(KY) won OP 7th $83k Maiden Special Weight race yesterday going off at odds of 4.9-1.

When I saw that this FTS was trained by Asmussen and ridden by Santana, I like most became very curious about this horse until I saw that the horse was sold for measly $15k. Being out of Candy Ride(ARG) that stands for $80k and out a mare by Tapit something did not look right?

I also heard OP announcer and track analyst wondering the same thing. How could it be, what's wrong with this horse "does he have two front legs pointing in diametrically opposing directions" Vic Stauffer wondered? So like most I looked elsewhere.

But after the race, given how easily this horse won defeating some nice colts, I decided to investigate.

What I found curious is that the horse was sold at Fasig-Titon May Midlantic 2-year olds in training sale to KDA Equine for $15k by Winchell Thoroughbreds. So who is KDA Equine, why non other than Asmussen who was likely already training this horse.

The horse current owner is also listed as Winchell Thoroughbreds! What is going on here?

Now had I and likely other bettors known that KDA Equine was Steve Asmussesn, we would have been all over this horse. But we were mislead by the low sale price, which was no at-arms transaction at all, but some kind of scheme by Winchell and Asumussen that created the impression that this 15k horse was likely not very good.

Further, since both breeder and owner were the same, $15k sale price must have been RNA; that's, the horse did even meet this sale reserve, which is what most would conclude.

Robert Fischer
02-25-2019, 02:23 PM
race 6

Horse was BRED by Winchill and was clearly run under the ownership by Winchill.

This is a homebred.

Why are you giving relevance to a sales/buy-back(KDE not KDA) when the breeder regained ownership?

First-call jock, First-call owner, solid works, 3rd choice morning line, and he went off 3rd choice in the betting. No unusual betting action whatsoever...

Saratoga_Mike
02-25-2019, 02:39 PM
Pyron(KY) won OP 7th $83k Maiden Special Weight race yesterday going off at odds of 4.9-1.

When I saw that this FTS was trained by Asmussen and ridden by Santana, I like most became very curious about this horse until I saw that the horse was sold for measly $15k. Being out of Candy Ride(ARG) that stands for $80k and out a mare by Tapit something did not look right?

I also heard OP announcer and track analyst wondering the same thing. How could it be, what's wrong with this horse "does he have two front legs pointing in diametrically opposing directions" Vic Stauffer wondered? So like most I looked elsewhere.

But after the race, given how easily this horse won defeating some nice colts, I decided to investigate.

What I found curious is that the horse was sold at Fasig-Titon May Midlantic 2-year olds in training sale to KDA Equine for $15k by Winchell Thoroughbreds. So who is KDA Equine, why non other than Asmussen who was likely already training this horse.

The horse current owner is also listed as Winchell Thoroughbreds! What is going on here?

Now had I and likely other bettors known that KDA Equine was Steve Asmussesn, we would have been all over this horse. But we were mislead by the low sale price, which was no at-arms transaction at all, but some kind of scheme by Winchell and Asumussen that created the impression that this 15k horse was likely not very good.

Further, since both breeder and owner were the same, $15k sale price must have been RNA; that's, the horse did even meet this sale reserve, which is what most would conclude.

So tell us how Winchell/Asmussen kept everyone else at the sale from bidding on the horse? Looking at his pedigree, I assume the horse has bad confirmation/physical issues and/or doesn't travel well.

linrom1
02-25-2019, 03:25 PM
Why are you giving relevance to a sales/buy-back

Cheap horses win cheap races!

dilanesp
02-25-2019, 03:43 PM
Someone cashed a ticket. :)

Saratoga_Mike
02-25-2019, 04:05 PM
Cheap horses win cheap races!

Silly absolutist statement, which is easily disproven in about 60 seconds - check out your DRF - surely, you'll find horses that sell for low prices that win stake races.

linrom1
02-25-2019, 04:27 PM
Silly absolutist statement, which is easily disproven in about 60 seconds - check out your DRF - surely, you'll find horses that sell for low prices that win stake races.

Why don't you get lost, instead off bothering posters with your stupid remarks.

Saratoga_Mike
02-25-2019, 05:03 PM
Just trying to help you out with your ignorance on this matter, but stay ignorant.

Robert Fischer
02-25-2019, 05:21 PM
We can rule out any and all worries that this was a "scheme" by Winchell Thoroughbreds or Steve Asmussen.

Cards were on the table, and no betting coup took place.

I can see how it could have been confusing/bad-beat, particularly if you had liked the horse and then Vic and/or the price tag had talked you off the horse, but you'll have more 5-1 shots. :ThmbUp:

the little guy
02-25-2019, 05:23 PM
You have to give linrom credit. It's not easy to continue to outdo yourself as the worst poster on the site....but somehow he continues to deliver. Having absolutely no game is an art form.

linrom1
02-25-2019, 06:02 PM
You have to give linrom credit. It's not easy to continue to outdo yourself as the worst poster on the site....but somehow he continues to deliver. Having absolutely no game is an art form.

Great another industry shill popped up! Are you and Saratoga Mike on a break from shoveling snow from Chris McKay's driveway?

AskinHaskin
02-25-2019, 06:17 PM

Wait, was Linrom the person talking about ‘stupid remarks’??

Racing is “not a game for the general public” only because it continues to cater to 1% of its own present audience at the full expense of its entire future.

This, as always, has zero to do with anything Linrom ”saw”, “heard”, “found” or “know(s)”.

linrom1
02-25-2019, 06:26 PM
We can rule out any and all worries that this was a "scheme" by Winchell Thoroughbreds or Steve Asmussen.

Cards were on the table, and no betting coup took place.

I can see how it could have been confusing/bad-beat, particularly if you had liked the horse and then Vic and/or the price tag had talked you off the horse, but you'll have more 5-1 shots. :ThmbUp:

I wasn't thinking in terms of owner/trainer making wagering profit.

I think it could have something to do with how income is taxed vs capital gains and this was some-kind of bonus paid by Winchell to Asmussen--there is no other way to explain it?

Vic had nothing to do with this, in MSW races I always evaluate owner with price they pay for the horse.

the little guy
02-25-2019, 06:50 PM
Great another industry shill popped up! Are you and Saratoga Mike on a break from shoveling snow from Chris McKay's driveway?

Who's the other industry shill besides me? I don't like the idea of competition.

HorsemenHeist
02-25-2019, 07:06 PM
Lets say the horse was purchased for $15,000 despite that pedigree. There are many races (including maiden claiming) that a sharp trainer like Asmussen could target with a horse like that at Oaklawn to more than pay the purchase price of the horse. Yet he chose to debut this runner in a straight maiden with his first call jockey on. Asmussen has started many horses bought for much more in maiden claiming, so that should have raised an eye right there. The horse might not have been right at the time of the sale, but the confidence from a great trainer to debut in a MSW with his top call jockey would be enough to mitigate IMO.

PaceAdvantage
02-25-2019, 09:18 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8lT1o0sDwI

biggestal99
02-26-2019, 11:54 AM
race 6

Horse was BRED by Winchill and was clearly run under the ownership by Winchill.

This is a homebred.

Why are you giving relevance to a sales/buy-back(KDE not KDA) when the breeder regained ownership?

First-call jock, First-call owner, solid works, 3rd choice morning line, and he went off 3rd choice in the betting. No unusual betting action whatsoever...

Looked very immature in the sales trial (10.2 for a furlong but very immature run); prolly thought they would get a nice price in the sales ring being by candy ride and NOBODY wanted an immature project that would not start for a while. so they bought the horse back, gave the horse time to mature; obviously he did. simple explanation.

Allan

biggestal99
02-26-2019, 11:58 AM
Now had I and likely other bettors known that KDA Equine was Steve Asmussesn, we would have been all over this horse.

It is no deep dark secret the KDE (not A) is Steve Assmusen.

a little research is all that is needed.

Allan

Suff
02-26-2019, 12:04 PM
Why entertain a bad-beat story? 12-15% of Horse players can't self-contain.

It's a learned skill only taught on track.

ultracapper
02-27-2019, 01:02 PM
Personally, I love the research he did. I love handicapping that way. Dig in, see what the connections are thinking. If you can get a handful of 5-1s that way, knock yourself out.