PDA

View Full Version : Louisville hotels and attractions

Bigbusdriver
02-20-2019, 01:16 PM
New to this site but hubby has been reading the boards here for years. He said that you would be able to help us pick a nice place to stay in July. We want to go to Churchill Downs and are staying 4 nights. I have been looking at the Embassy downtown Louisville. What do you think? Also we would like recommendations for food and attractions. Thanks in advance.

PaceAdvantage
02-20-2019, 01:58 PM
Moved to General Racing Discussion, where you might get more replies.

biggestal99
02-20-2019, 02:08 PM
Thats an easy one. Omni downtown. upscale beyond belief. Meet Robert LaPenta (Catholic Boy owner) and Osin Murphy (euro jock). just a great top class hotel.

Tell the waiter that Dave and Allan said "hey"

that should be worth a free drink or two.

Allan

Bigbusdriver
02-20-2019, 02:53 PM
I’m looking to use a hotel in the Hilton brand, is the Omni part of Hilton?

Afleet
02-20-2019, 06:29 PM
there is a hilton garden inn by the track, met American Pharoahs owner there, but if you stay downtown you can walk to 4th street live and take a cab to the track

https://www.4thstlive.com

barahona44
02-20-2019, 07:43 PM
I’m looking to use a hotel in the Hilton brand, is the Omni part of Hilton?

According to Wikipedia, the Omni chain is privately owned by a Dallas investment company TRT Holdings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omni_Hotels_%26_Resorts

parlay
02-20-2019, 07:53 PM
I recommend staying downtown. I have stayed at the Hilton near the track and it is fine but there is nothing around it other then the track and a University. Downtown you can walk to restaurants and entertainment.

the little guy
02-20-2019, 07:56 PM
They don't race at Churchill in July.

castaway01
02-20-2019, 08:09 PM
Thats an easy one. Omni downtown. upscale beyond belief. Meet Robert LaPenta (Catholic Boy owner) and Osin Murphy (euro jock). just a great top class hotel.

Tell the waiter that Dave and Allan said "hey"

that should be worth a free drink or two.

Allan

I need a drink after every one of your posts.

RunForTheRoses
02-20-2019, 08:48 PM

You are such a Killjoy.

Afleet
02-20-2019, 09:06 PM

that could be a problem:D

Churchill Downs
Apr. 27 - Jun. 29

Churchill Downs
Sep. 13 - Oct. 1

Churchill Downs
Oct. 27 - Dec. 1

biggestal99
02-21-2019, 06:39 AM
I need a drink after every one of your posts.

Have you seen my profitable exchange thread in the selection section.

It’s a hoot. 22 consecutive losers on my way to 100......gulp I hope.

You know making money playing the horses.

It’s a concept that might be foreign to you

Allan

toddbowker
02-21-2019, 04:48 PM
Other things to do:

- Derby Museum
- Louisville Slugger Museum
- Muhammad Ali Center
- Michter's/Evan Williams/Angel's Envy Distillery Tours, or if you have a car and want to travel, Maker's Mark and Woodford Reserve.
- Again, if you have a car, drive to Lexington and tour Keeneland and KY Horse Park.
- Plenty of horse farm tours between Louisville and Lexington (personally I'd go to Ashford Stud/Coolmore in Versailles).

Rollingpk3
02-21-2019, 08:45 PM
i am heading out in june for the first time. booked a room in clarksville indiana because the rates were much lower that week. just curious from anyone out there is thats an okay area and it seems like easy access to all of the louisville attractions and track.

WalkingL
02-22-2019, 01:20 PM
i am heading out in june for the first time. booked a room in clarksville indiana because the rates were much lower that week. just curious from anyone out there is thats an okay area and it seems like easy access to all of the louisville attractions and track.

It's OK, it's just a non-descript hotel/motel and restaurant area, not a tourist destination. Also, $4 toll every time you cross the river back and forth to Kentucky

WalkingL
02-22-2019, 01:21 PM
Other things to do:

- Derby Museum
- Louisville Slugger Museum
- Muhammad Ali Center
- Michter's/Evan Williams/Angel's Envy Distillery Tours, or if you have a car and want to travel, Maker's Mark and Woodford Reserve.
- Again, if you have a car, drive to Lexington and tour Keeneland and KY Horse Park.
- Plenty of horse farm tours between Louisville and Lexington (personally I'd go to Ashford Stud/Coolmore in Versailles).

And if the OP is going in July, with a car, they can drive west to Ellis Park for racing action.

Rollingpk3
02-22-2019, 04:12 PM
It's OK, it's just a non-descript hotel/motel and restaurant area, not a tourist destination. Also, $4 toll every time you cross the river back and forth to Kentucky

i have some free wyndham nights and can stay at the galt house downtown. any thoughts on that place? location looks good.
and thank you for the good info

rastajenk
02-22-2019, 04:31 PM
And if the OP is going in July, with a car, they can drive west to Ellis Park for racing action.

And Indiana Grand and Belterra are just as close, too.