PDA

View Full Version : Clint Tracy a.k.a.? Dave Powers

anotherdave
03-13-2002, 12:16 AM
Now I seem to recall here that it was discussed here long ago that David Powers was Clint Tracy. Didn't know much about it as I had never read anything from either one. Now I've got the RPM catalog from Powers in the past and saw stuff by Clint Tracy too. Some pretty so-so stuff in there (Robert Anthony?) and some outlandish claims, but a few decent things there too.

But today I got a hold of a $10 used copy of "Power Handicapping" by Dave Powers. In it he talks about Clint Tracy as an old San Diego high school friend who shares his love of racing and he specifically thanks Ron Ambrose and Clint Tracy for their contributions to the book. Some of the sections of the book are even written by Clint Tracy.

Now is this for real or are the two the same person? I don't really mind someone writing under a pen name (Tom Ainslie ain't Tom Ainslie), but is he really quoting himself and talking about the time he went to the track with himself? (Was there a day when his horse lost by a nose to his horse, boy was he mad at losing that one, but he collected a fortune? I'm making that one up!) Sorry, you get the idea. Trying to look through the catalog for one thing that might be worthwhile is tough enough, but that kind of stuff I can't handle.

What is the truth?

AD
(AnotherDave, not that one really! I'm a different Dave. I don't know of anyone named Clint except Eastwood and I wouldn't accuse him of anything like this. But I do know he's Dirty Harry Callaghan too! Put away the 57 magnum Clint. Just kidding. It's okay)

Dave Schwartz
03-13-2002, 01:11 AM
LOL - Now wouldn't that be just like me (I mean us) to use an alias and not be smart enough to use a different name?

Rick
03-13-2002, 04:36 AM
This guy seems to have gone off the deep end. The latest catalog has a method called "Hammering the Chalk" which says they "looked at over 31,000 betting situations" and "you can expect to be cashing tickets 94% or more of the time". Better than that though, "there is no handicapping involved".

Years ago I bought some stuff from him and, although there were no winning methods, some of the ideas were interesting and stimulated my thinking in new areas. That's really all I was looking for so I was satisfied.

Now, it appears that he's trying to convince us that all of the methods are tested on huge databases and all of them are profitable. Sort of similar to the Phillips approach only larger sample sizes.

Although there are some well recognized names among the offerings, it occurred to me that he may have adopted a few more pseudonyms since the first one seems to have worked so well. I don't think you should be too outraged if he's touting his own stuff under a different name though. It seems that others make agreements to tout one another's products all the time. It's just easier to make an agreement with yourself!

ranchwest
03-13-2002, 08:07 AM
>It's just easier to make an agreement with yourself!<

I'd bet that not everyone can do it. lol

JimG
03-13-2002, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by anotherdave
Now I seem to recall here that it was discussed here long ago that David Powers was Clint Tracy. Didn't know much about it as I had never read anything from either one. Now I've got the RPM catalog from Powers in the past and saw stuff by Clint Tracy too. Some pretty so-so stuff in there (Robert Anthony?) and some outlandish claims, but a few decent things there too.

What is the truth?

AD
(AnotherDave, not that one really! I'm a different Dave. I don't )

The truth is they are the same person. A constant theme in horse racing advertising is what I call the "we" syndrome. Whether it is someone selling software or racing material, the individual tends to talk in the "we" voice to make it sound like there is a team of individuals testing and/or working for the company. Somehow that is to make the consumer feel more comfortable that he/she is purchasing from a team of "experts".

I have purchased numerous items from RPM in the past and many were good. I define good as thought-provoking, not an instant money winner. I considered "Power Handicapping" good as it got me to thinking about jockey-trainer teams a number of years ago.

Jim

andicap
03-13-2002, 09:18 AM
I would guess business isn't too good and he's had to rachet up the hype quotient a little bit.
Kind of a warning to anyone who buys into any of these claims, whether from Powers or Cynthia Pub (Dick Mitchell). Ever see those newsletters Mitchell sends out? I admit when I was younger and stupid I got hooked and bought All-in-One.

The only thing you have to know about these programs came from Mitchell himself at a seminar when people were struggling with the program. The truest words anyone ever said about handicapping software (of course it came AFTER we bought the program):

"The people who do the best with this program are the people who don't need it."

That's not exactly what his literature said.

anotherdave
03-13-2002, 09:40 AM
Actually, I am enjoying the book. It does have some good things, but this just irks me.

"I asked Clint how this experience changed his life"
(might need some therapy I think!)

"I admire Clint"
(well, that's probably good for the ego)

Still, there is some interesting stuff in here, so I shouldn't be so critical, I guess.

He quotes Nord Jamison on psychology of winning too (that's a different guy, isn't he?)

AD

Rick
03-13-2002, 10:38 AM
If I remember correctly, in "Power Handicapping" he rates the race first and then adjusts for the horse, which is an interesting idea that probably has some merit. It also has some interesting thoughts on "getting rich" at the races and dealing with losing streaks. That's a pretty old publication though. Has anyone purchased any of the more recent publications from RPM and, if so what's your opinion?

Dave Schwartz
03-13-2002, 11:15 AM
If I may make just a couple of suggestions before the lynchings begin.

Dave Powers should be presumed innocent until proven guilty.

Might I suggest that "we" ask Dave Powers for a straight answer on this question?

Perhaps a peek at his high school yearbook could clear this up if they went to school together.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

JimG
03-13-2002, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Dave Schwartz
If I may make just a couple of suggestions before the lynchings begin.

Dave Powers should be presumed innocent until proven guilty.

Might I suggest that "we" ask Dave Powers for a straight answer on this question?

Perhaps a peek at his high school yearbook could clear this up if they went to school together.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

I personally asked Dave Powers a number of years ago if he and Clint Tracy were one in the same. He said yes. Otherwise I would not have posted it definitively. By the way, I don't think anyone should want to lynch Powers over this. Who cares? It is the validity of the method that is important, not the name of the person(s) attached to it.

Jim

Rick
03-13-2002, 11:52 AM
I think I read somewhere that he took on the Clint Tracy alias because he was working for Today's Racing Digest at the time and didn't want people to assume any connection between the two. So I don't think it was originally intended to deceive anyone. If he abandoned it now it probably wouldn't be good for business any way you look at it. This is all heresay, of course.

But any of you who read a lot of fiction know that most of your favorite authors have written under other names in the past. So my feeling is that it's no big deal.

anotherdave
03-13-2002, 12:10 PM
Agreed, that the material is the point - and some of this book is pretty good. And if he wants to recommend Clint Tracy's work, that's okay I guess. But to quote conversations with the guy is a bit unusual, wouldn't you think? No big deal, I guess. Just curious. Sorry to start such a deal over it.

AD

Dave Schwartz
03-13-2002, 12:17 PM
Jim,

And I agree with you. I was speaking somewhat tongue-in-cheek about the "lynching."

So often these things explode into more than they should be. Dave Powers is good at hype. In fact, if I had more hype-ability myself I'd probably sell more product. <G>

Of course, one could argue that I'd just like to see someone in the barrel besides me. <G>

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Lefty
03-13-2002, 12:34 PM
I remember back to the 50's and 60's when Al Illich pirated others' systems and sold them for a few bucks under the name Longworth. As Longworth the only system writer he praised was Al illich.

Rick
03-13-2002, 02:39 PM
If you guys think this is bad you ought to check out the sports touts some time. Horse racing writers aren't even in the same league.

Derek2U
03-14-2002, 09:22 PM
JIM G. right on Dude .... i dont care if Madam X comes up with
a good idea ,,, if its good, so be it

rrbauer
03-14-2002, 10:49 PM
The guy's real name is Clint Tracy. David Powers is a pseudonym. I don't know why he chose to do that. Dual whatevers!!
:)

anotherdave
03-15-2002, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by rrbauer
The guy's real name is Clint Tracy. David Powers is a pseudonym. I don't know why he chose to do that. Dual whatevers!!

I guess because "Power Handicapping" sounds better than "Tracy Handicapping"

AD

rrbauer
03-15-2002, 01:10 PM
AD

Right on, bro!

Triple Trio
05-21-2002, 04:16 AM
Originally posted by JimG

I considered "Power Handicapping" good as it got me to thinking about jockey-trainer teams a number of years ago.

When I bought Power Handicapping last year, I was very disappointed with it. I re-read it recently and have a new appreciation of the approach advocated:

- use some kind of numerical rating to choose your contenders
- pick the ones with good jockey-trainer stats
- check your picks against the Ambrose Model

I am not sure about the Ambrose Model part because it's not easy to do in Hong Kong. However, I have come to realise how important the trainer/jockey part is.

A few weeks ago, a trainer retained the service of one of the hot jockeys on two horses which had lost a total of God knows how many lengths in their recent races. I was wondering why on earth the jockey accepted the rides on those pigs. According to the trainer/jockey stat, it was a hot combo. The results? One of the horses finished 3rd and the other one won at 35 to 1.

So I'd really like to learn more about this trainer/jockey combo thing. Any good books or websites? Any insight shared will be much appreciated.

As to my own refinement of the idea, I don't calculate the actual exacta % (in fact we don't have exactas but quinellas in Hong Kong), I calculate the % of horses which finished 1st or lost by 1.25 lengths - 1.25 L being the average beaten lengths of the 2nd place finisher. In other words, as far as I am concerned, the effort is more important the result. If a horse finished 3rd losing by a nose to the 2nd finisher, that is good enough for me. I am not so fixated about the actual finish position.