PDA

View Full Version : NYRA Triple Crown Turf

Lemon Drop Husker
02-13-2019, 08:44 PM
NYRA announcing a Triple Crown Turf series for both Colts/Fillies.

I think it is a great idea for 6 races already on the ledger, that didn't need much more money influence anyway.

Come on New York horse race enthusiasts. Create the interest and back this needed turf race influence into everything that is known as American turf horse racing.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/232056/nyra-unveils-turf-triple-series-for-3yos-3yo-fillies

SG4
02-13-2019, 10:41 PM

I think it is a great idea for 6 races already on the ledger, that didn't need much more money influence anyway.

Come on New York horse race enthusiasts. Create the interest and back this needed turf race influence into everything that is known as American turf horse racing.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/232056/nyra-unveils-turf-triple-series-for-3yos-3yo-fillies

Which 6 races are you referring to as having already been on the ledger? 4 of these are newly created.

I do appreciate a continuance of events, but if you're going to make a triple anything I think it'd be cool if tracks could work together with possibly arranging a bonus for races already on the schedule. A Penn Mile - Belmont Derby (shorten to 9f?) - Secretariat triple would've been a nice progression for already established races. With everything at one location I worry about competition thinning out through the series.

Also anything that brings major 3yo only races to the fall continues to aggravate. I know that's just the racing world we're in now, but by September it'd be nice if we saw 3yo's stepping up to face older.

Lemon Drop Husker
02-14-2019, 12:46 AM
Which 6 races are you referring to as having already been on the ledger? 4 of these are newly created.

I do appreciate a continuance of events, but if you're going to make a triple anything I think it'd be cool if tracks could work together with possibly arranging a bonus for races already on the schedule. A Penn Mile - Belmont Derby (shorten to 9f?) - Secretariat triple would've been a nice progression for already established races. With everything at one location I worry about competition thinning out through the series.

Also anything that brings major 3yo only races to the fall continues to aggravate. I know that's just the racing world we're in now, but by September it'd be nice if we saw 3yo's stepping up to face older.

Correct.

I read an earlier release or some clown on Twitter.

As for diminishing racing?

For 3YOs to race on turf into September or beyond, I think this series promotes EXACTLY that as Auto-Bids for winners to move on to their respective BC Classic races against elders.

Damn. I guess everybody needs to look for negatives in anything and everything.

thespaah
02-14-2019, 12:33 PM

This is great news. Hopefully it is will spur an interest among connections to keep horses in training and not fear their horses running more often than every 8 to 10 weeks

Someday Silent
02-14-2019, 08:55 PM
This is great news. Hopefully it is will spur an interest among connections to keep horses in training and not fear their horses running more often than every 8 to 10 weeks

I'd say most (if not all) turf horses in the U.S. aren't in danger of being retired at age three anyway, but I do agree about the racing every 8 to 10 weeks part of your post.

Spalding No!
02-14-2019, 10:27 PM
According to the Blood-Horse article, the 4 new races are not eligible for graded status for a couple of years.

I wonder why NYRA wouldn't simply retool some of their other 3yo turf stakes to exploit the graded status already in place. For example, the Jamaica was a Grade 1 in the first decade of the 21st century and the graded Saranac has (or had) been a mainstay of the Saratoga meet.

As it stands, this triple is basically the Lexington, Saranac, and Lawrence Realization (which originally was the US answer to the famed St. Leger in England) using the 1980s stakes calendar.

The idea of a triple has also been done before. Arlington had what was called a "Mid-American Triple", which was made up of the Arlington Classic, the American Derby, and the Secretariat. At one point, there was a $500K bonus attached. Never seemed to take off, perhaps because the purse money wasn't particularly lucrative or because of the focus on 3yo dirt races during most of the summer.

Colonial Downs had a strong hand in their brief history when they had a rich double made up of the Colonial Turf Cup and the Virginia Derby. They then teamed with Arlington adding the Secretariat and offered an unheard of $5 million bonus (with the catch being the horse had to win the BC Turf, too).

The first two races unfortunately died suddenly when Colonial Downs hit the skids, but given those races short-lived, but strong popularity, this NY version might prove to be successful.

However, I'm not sure if I buy into Martin Panza's "American racing is heading towards turf" outlook. I think it is very likely, as ever, that these races will be dominated by Euro runners whether imported to stay or "raiders" making a quick score. That in itself is not a bad thing and if the series doesn't make a dent in the breeding industry it might compel more American trainers with the means to follow Chad Brown and his owners' example and look to the European yearling sales for unraced stock (e.g., Newspaperofrecord (IRE), Demarchelier (GB)).

the little guy
02-14-2019, 11:37 PM
However, I'm not sure if I buy into Martin Panza's "American racing is heading towards turf" outlook. I think it is very likely, as ever, that these races will be dominated by Euro runners whether imported to stay or "raiders" making a quick score. That in itself is not a bad thing and if the series doesn't make a dent in the breeding industry it might compel more American trainers with the means to follow Chad Brown and his owners' example and look to the European yearling sales for unraced stock (e.g., Newspaperofrecord (IRE), Demarchelier (GB)).

Don't leave out Digital Age.

Robert Fischer
02-15-2019, 11:36 AM
even australians claim to have bitter ricing

Robert Fischer
02-15-2019, 12:50 PM
sorry, the 'Winx' stuff is in my head... NYRA's turf racing is exceptional.

This Turf Triple Crown is a great idea.

Starts July 6th with the Belmont Derby(boys) and the Belmont Oaks(fillies). :jump:

SG4
02-16-2019, 12:02 AM
According to the Blood-Horse article, the 4 new races are not eligible for graded status for a couple of years.

I wonder why NYRA wouldn't simply retool some of their other 3yo turf stakes to exploit the graded status already in place. For example, the Jamaica was a Grade 1 in the first decade of the 21st century and the graded Saranac has (or had) been a mainstay of the Saratoga meet.

I believe something was mentioned where if the races start out as new they can receive a grade after 2 editions so I assume they're hoping all go straight to G1 status, whereas existing races would have 5 years worth of results in the review process & therefore might be harder to move up to the top rung so quickly.

GBL
02-18-2019, 02:57 AM
That idea was first floated by Panza when he joined NYRA after the closure of Hollywood Park. He did say it is one of his long term goals. It's a good news it is moving.

Haven't read any details but thinking...

1) All races must be G1 events from the get-go and must be run at differnt locations to make it more appealing, attractive, and neutral. Even more appealing will be cross country. One circuit hosting all races will dampen the excitement.

2) The turf races are popular around the world because most of the their top
races are run over long distances which showcases real stamina and class. 1m, 1 1/16, or 1 1/8m distance would be a disaster for their purpose. Starting the first jewel at 1 1/4m and having next two legs at even longer distances is what this endeavor should be about -- class and stamina is what the turf racing is all about. This possibly will attract international stars and not just their second-string which is a commonplace these days. They would need top horses from Europe and probably from Japan as well.

3) All legs ought to carry a minimum of $1m purse.

classhandicapper
02-18-2019, 09:13 AM
I like his idea, but the trend is a little surprising to me. I always thought that ultimately (long term) CA would become the turf racing center of the US and NY would remain dirt-centric because of the seasonal and weather advantages in CA. We don't even run turf races in NY for about 4 months and then we lose more races due to weather during the actual season. But the better turf racing is in NY and it seems the advantage is likely to grow.

ultracapper
02-18-2019, 11:08 PM
Whether coincidence or by plan, having a new series of championship races begin the same day as the final race of the biggest series of races in NAmerica is potentially a real opportunity for keeping fans that jump into the game in late April and are usually gone by mid-June. Keep them in for another 8 weeks after The Belmont. It would be great to really see the marketing efforts of the NHRC or whatever it is take good, intelligent, constructive steps with these new series.

Spalding No!
02-19-2019, 11:22 AM
Whether coincidence or by plan, having a new series of championship races begin the same day as the final race of the biggest series of races in NAmerica is potentially a real opportunity for keeping fans that jump into the game in late April and are usually gone by mid-June.
The Belmont Derby is scheduled for July 6, not Belmont Stakes day.

Tom
02-19-2019, 06:06 PM
So they will be called what, the Triple BROWN and the Triple CHAD? :rolleyes:

classhandicapper
03-10-2019, 02:35 PM
Don't leave out Digital Age.

Nice call Andy.

Digital Age's first start was very impressive given the trip and finish once he started his run, but he looked kind of slow relative to that field yesterday. So even though I knew he was a lot better than he looked (after you mentioned him I looked him up), it was tough to take $4.60. I was more tempted to try to beat him. But I also know trying to beat Chad on turf is not a good long term investment strategy these days. :D

Personally, I'm starting to avoid turf stakes. I'm not sure how to play them anymore. Chad has so many lightly raced well bred horses that are eligible to explode forward and so many others that continue marching forward, it's tough to take them when they get bet so heavily and also tough to bet against them.

Evaluating lightly raced turf horses is sometimes more of an art than science because of the way turf races develop. Chad is quite the artist.

Blowout also ran huge and at a price!