PDA

View Full Version : 20TH NHC LIVE COVERAGE

PIC6SIX
02-09-2019, 09:16 PM
I cannot find live coverage, You-Tube or Facebook updates and interviews. In past years live interviews with contestants was common. Can only access TVG leaderboard. Am I missing something RE: Live Coverage?????::confused:

Immanuel Kant
02-10-2019, 09:02 AM
stevebyk.com ...........starts at 2PM EST....... click on listen live

Suff
02-10-2019, 10:35 AM
I've been using Twitter searching #NHC19 and filtering by latest. Its players so its been fun. @capitalotb has coverage on its website I think... may need an account?

The NTRA website was down yesterday , seemingly from the popularity.

The NTRA mission statement includes popularity and fan engagement. I noticed they have 14K twitter followers. Andy Serling has 25K, and he's just one lone public handicapper in New YAWK City...... :eek:

https://twitter.com/NTRA/status/1094376937684840448

Suff
02-10-2019, 11:20 AM
https://twitter.com/POTUSCapper/status/1094577896637779968

Afleet
02-10-2019, 01:03 PM
https://twitter.com/POTUSCapper/status/1094577896637779968

free Maria Borell:lol:

Mulerider
02-10-2019, 03:22 PM
Best of luck to PA member BCOURTNEY, who's currently in 25th place, only $23.70 out of 10th place which would get him to the final table.

ReplayRandall
02-10-2019, 04:06 PM
FINAL TABLE- Starts at 4:40 PM EST

1-Jim Meeks-301.8

2-Robert Gilbert-297.4

3-Joe Perry-291.4

4-Steven Simonovic-287.6

5-Chris Littlemore-286.2 -- Defending Champ

6-J. Randy Gallo-285.6

7-Marshall Gramm-276.9

8-Richard Scott Coles-275.8

9-Mathew Vagvolgyi-273.6

10-Francis Drew-268.8

LISTEN LIVE RIGHT NOW- http://stevebyk.com/listen-live-siriusxm/

JimG
02-10-2019, 04:20 PM
Is there no video of the final table this year?

ReplayRandall
02-10-2019, 04:25 PM
If I find anybody sending live video, I will post it here...

Lemon Drop Husker
02-10-2019, 06:05 PM
Wow

Defending Champ at the final table in back-to-back years.

I bow to his greatness. :headbanger:

That is an unimaginable accomplishment. Wow. Just, wow.

drib
02-10-2019, 06:57 PM
Once again, with a once a year national handicapping championship, the complete dysfunction in racing is on display. Despite an interesting format that brings the field down to 10 finalists, there is ZERO coverage of this event. The main TV channels (controlled by TVG) are blacking out the event; even the DRF ("the voice of racing") is totally absent. Go to their webpage which supposedly has all the news in racing, and there is ZERO coverage. I can only guess the reason, but I suspect this blackout is related to the rivalries of the different ADW's/ racing entities. Just like when 2 major Saturday stakes run on top of each other, these clowns care nothing about what is good for the sport.

horses4courses
02-10-2019, 08:14 PM
Ray Paulick

@raypaulick
16m16 minutes ago
More
First-year qualifier Scott Coles of Grayslake, IL, shown with @NTRA exec Keith Chamblin, wins $800,000 first prize in National Horseplayers Championship #NHC19 at @TIvegas. He said the money will help pay off law school student loan debt.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DzFgXfLVYAEm_4_.jpg:small

Valuist
02-10-2019, 09:40 PM
Another Chicago area horseplayer.

ReplayRandall
02-10-2019, 09:46 PM
Scott Coles was a first time starter at the NHC....

cj
02-10-2019, 10:04 PM
https://twitter.com/JayTrotter19/status/1094771293076029440

Suff
02-11-2019, 09:42 PM
Poor effort at an award show stream. No dinner or show. The MC talks for 10 of the 22 minutes. I couldn't make out what anyone was saying nor hardly see them over his shoulder and other obstructions. :lol:

https://twitter.com/NTRA/status/1094821548525932545

horses4courses
02-11-2019, 10:27 PM
So strange yesterday hearing Schrupp and Bray talking about the NHC going into the last couple of races at Santa Anita, then even more so when Frank Mirahmadi mentioned the tournament as the horses entered the gate for the finale there. Yet, the proceedings take place completely out of the limelight.

The tournament has so much potential from a PR standpoint.
It's a crying shame that it is run this way. :ThmbDown:

Suff
02-12-2019, 08:28 AM
I hate to be a complete dick and harp on the contest....

That said, how in the hell does the CEO of NTRA not be there for the final day and award the check? That's akin to the NFL Commissioner not being at the Superbowl.

Other industry commitments?

https://twitter.com/AlexWaldrop/status/1095059237011628033

This event is scheduled every year, its on the calendar far enough in advance that the CEO-President needs to be there. You need to be there. What possible other "Industry commitment" has you AWOL on the NTRA's most popular and largest engagement with its base of fans? mama-mia not a good look. imho

https://twitter.com/AlexWaldrop/status/1094784556027334656

ubercapper
02-12-2019, 09:11 AM
Best of luck to PA member BCOURTNEY, who's currently in 25th place, only $23.70 out of 10th place which would get him to the final table.

Blake played fantastically well and ended up 25th at the wire. He is quite the gentleman and handicapper, as is his girlfriend Alexa Zepp, who displayed her fine art at the event. She played in the tournament as well, having qualified for the first time. Congrats to both!

Suff
02-12-2019, 10:11 AM
[QUOTE]Blake played fantastically well and ended up 25th at the wire.

25th is serious business.. :ThmbUp: Congrats Blake & excellent job.

He is quite the gentleman and handicapper, as is his girlfriend Alexa Zepp, who

Very cool.:)

hracingplyr
02-12-2019, 06:24 PM
Used Stats Lens

thaskalos
02-12-2019, 08:15 PM
Used Stats Lens

And he still won? :eek:

cj
02-12-2019, 08:37 PM

He mentioned he used it to get live odds when he couldn't see a screen, but didn't have time to dive into it to deep. He said he would try it out since he win a free subscription.

He also said he is a big pace guys and uses TimeformUS as his PP provider. The third place finisher does as well.

RainMan
02-14-2019, 12:59 PM
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray-s-paddock/how-he-did-it-nhc-champion-coles-focused-on-technology/

New champ won playing his 2nd entry ( as 3 out of 10 at the final table were ). So, what type of odds was he playing on his 1st entry Fri and Sat. Perfect example of why multiple entry tourneys are dart throwing events.

Suff
02-14-2019, 02:16 PM
He mentioned he used it to get live odds when he couldn't see a screen, but didn't have time to dive into it to deep. He said he would try it out since he win a free subscription.

A numbers guy who has been playing the races about five years, the last 2 ½ years in tournaments, Coles embraces technology in his handicapping and said the first thing he looks at is how a race shapes up from a pace standpoint, using TimeformUS as a guide along with Daily Racing Form. He also looks at angles using STATS Race Lens, a service owned by Equibase that has a variety of products and prices, including a $999 annual subscription.

Equibase as the sponsor , sneaks its sales pitch into the Timeform US tout. I call this Swinging off someone else's dick.

Suff
02-14-2019, 02:22 PM
If this needs to be edited to conform to board policy, I'll accept the the following.

Swinging off someone else's penis.

PaceAdvantage
02-14-2019, 02:50 PM
If this needs to be edited to conform to board policy, I'll accept the the following.

Swinging off someone else's penis.No, dick was way better first time around...wait a minute...:pound:

BCOURTNEY
02-16-2019, 07:56 AM
Blake played fantastically well and ended up 25th at the wire. He is quite the gentleman and handicapper, as is his girlfriend Alexa Zepp, who displayed her fine art at the event. She played in the tournament as well, having qualified for the first time. Congrats to both!
25th is serious business.. :ThmbUp: Congrats Blake & excellent job.
Very cool.:)

Thanks for the support in this thread. I really enjoyed the competition and it was a great way to stress test the handicapping process.

Suff
02-16-2019, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the support in this thread. I really enjoyed the competition and it was a great way to stress test the handicapping process.

You have a girlfriend so to bad you can't use "I was 25th in the NHC" as a pick up line.

Lemon Drop Husker
02-16-2019, 11:22 AM

Last 2 winners have used STATS Lens.

Pen and paper guys. Old school style. :coffee:

Lemon Drop Husker
02-16-2019, 11:25 AM

Kudos.

Onward and upward. Great feat, but I know you want more. :ThmbUp:

kingfin66
02-16-2019, 12:25 PM
You have a girlfriend so to bad you can't use "I was 25th in the NHC" as a pick up line.

LOL. I wonder if that would be any better or worse than this one. Seriously though, just qualifying for the NHC is an accomplishment. Finishing as high as 25th is really awesome. Plus, you (BCOURTNEY) seem like a good guy. Fuss too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cOnsd0M114

thaskalos
02-16-2019, 01:13 PM
Last 2 winners have used STATS Lens.

Pen and paper guys. Old school style. :coffee:

I've already enrolled at the "new school", and now use "pen and paper" just to jot down my wagers before placing them. But I've also been watching the performance of the STATS lens betting line on TVG...and, so far at least...I haven't been impressed. These last two NHC winners must bring a lot more to the table, IMO.

ReplayRandall
02-16-2019, 02:21 PM
STATS Race Lens was the major sponsor of the NHC....I would think there might have been a little "Compensation" package for those who wished to endorse their product from the Final Table....Same thing happens at the WSOP Final Table, with the players wearing patches and logos from various companies who give "payola" for players to wear their stuff, whether they use their product or not....

ubercapper
02-19-2019, 10:02 AM
I've already enrolled at the "new school", and now use "pen and paper" just to jot down my wagers before placing them. But I've also been watching the performance of the STATS lens betting line on TVG...and, so far at least...I haven't been impressed. These last two NHC winners must bring a lot more to the table, IMO.

What you see on TVG is just a snippet, usually the True Odds (Stats LLC computed probabilities/fair odds) or a stat the TVG Host uses to display their talking points. It's but a fraction of the product.

At the end of day 1, five of the top 10 were active Stats Race Lens users. What that means is anyone's guess. From my conversations with players at the NHC who also were customers, including Phil Lam (who finished third on the NHC Tour), their uses are quite varied including multiple pp customizations, deep dives into pedigree stats and use of specific track and situational angles. I am hopeful to speak with winner Scott Coles in the next few months and get more insight into his use and hopefully be in a similar position when I am once again eligible to play.

ubercapper
02-19-2019, 10:05 AM
STATS Race Lens was the major sponsor of the NHC....I would think there might have been a little "Compensation" package for those who wished to endorse their product from the Final Table....Same thing happens at the WSOP Final Table, with the players wearing patches and logos from various companies who give "payola" for players to wear their stuff, whether they use their product or not....

There was no "compensation package." The video Scott Coles did was spontaneous and without any prodding.

Suff
02-19-2019, 10:10 AM
I caught this interesting story about another player at #NHC19. Its does not say it in the article, but I saw Ray Paulick tweet that he interned at the Washington Post for Andy Beyer. AND that his Dad is a US Senator.

How a Rhodes College economics professor became one of world's best at betting on horses
Link (https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/columnists/mark-giannotto/2019/02/16/gambling-horse-racing-sports-betting-rhodes-marshall-gramm/2858980002/)

Suff
02-20-2019, 11:01 AM
I caught this interesting story about another player at #NHC19. Its does not say it in the article, but I saw Ray Paulick tweet that he interned at the Washington Post for Andy Beyer. AND that his Dad is a US Senator.

How a Rhodes College economics professor became one of world's best at betting on horses
Link (https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/columnists/mark-giannotto/2019/02/16/gambling-horse-racing-sports-betting-rhodes-marshall-gramm/2858980002/)

Marshall Gramm is an interesting person.

He’s also a co-founder and part-owner of Ten Strike Racing, a 10-year-old syndicate named after the 1884 winner of the Tennessee Stakes held in Memphis.

This semester, in addition to teaching intermediate macroeconomics at Rhodes, Gramm is also teaching a two-credit course called “the economics of racetrack wagering markets.

fifth out of 390 horseplayers at the Breeders Cup Betting Challenge, in addition to top-10 finishes at events held at Belmont Park in New York and Keeneland Race Course in Lexington, Ky

He owns about 40 horses,

cj
02-20-2019, 11:08 AM
The winner was a guest here. Haven't had a chance to listen yet but will later today. Latest episode, dated 2-19.

https://soundcloud.com/inthemoneyplayerspodcast

Suff
02-21-2019, 11:59 AM
The winner was a guest here. Haven't had a chance to listen yet but will later today. Latest episode, dated 2-19.

https://soundcloud.com/inthemoneyplayerspodcast

Another interesting Horse Player. Sharp.

Peter Fornatale does a nice job. He was well was prepped, experienced and had the interview broken down into segments. He does a deep dive on each segment and keeps the interview focused and well paced.

I pulled a lot from the NHC winner, Scott Coles, because Peter let him speak. He drills deep on interesting points.

The features that he liked about Race Stat Lense, in all honesty, should have been in DRF Formulator years ago. Formulator filter features are more user intense than what Race Stat lense sounds like. Worth a look for filter players.

When Peter asks him the Million Dollar Question:

When it comes to your Handicapping where do you start?

TimeForm US.

cj
02-21-2019, 02:45 PM
Another interesting Horse Player. Sharp.

Peter Fornatale does a nice job. He was well was prepped, experienced and had the interview broken down into segments. He does a deep dive on each segment and keeps the interview focused and well paced.

I pulled a lot from the NHC winner, Scott Coles, because Peter let him speak. He drills deep on interesting points.

The features that he liked about Race Stat Lense, in all honesty, should have been in DRF Formulator years ago. Formulator filter features are more user intense than what Race Stat lense sounds like. Worth a look for filter players.

When Peter asks him the Million Dollar Question:

When it comes to your Handicapping where do you start?

TimeForm US.

He was a good guest, lot of sharp stuff and also knows there is room to grow his game.

Peter always does a good job. I listen all the time while at the gym. Entertaining and informative.

Suff
02-21-2019, 03:00 PM
He was a good guest, lot of sharp stuff and also knows there is room to grow his game.

Peter always does a good job. I listen all the time while at the gym. Entertaining and informative.

The other noise, utgibghair getting into it with the other guy on twitter. That I can live without. Has the feel of a real house wives episode.

ReplayRandall
02-21-2019, 03:42 PM
Here are Marshall's plays at the NHC....Might find a nugget in his methodology.

https://twitter.com/truxtonstables/status/1097711278825619456

ubercapper
02-22-2019, 08:57 AM
Having used both I disagree Formulator filter features are more intense than those in Stats Race Lens. With Stats Race Lens you have the ability to do deep dives on not only jockey and trainer, but also sire and dam, using hundreds of combinations. The results display the last five year's races which apply to the criteria for sires, and lifetime for dams. You can access the lifetime pps for any horse in the query results, with those applicable pp lines highlighted.

Here are a couple of examples (which I used recently handicapping a first time starter in a MSW Turf Route at Gulfstream): Dam, Lifetime, Foals in Maiden Special Weight, Route, Turf, First Time Starters.

For the same horse: Trainer, Last two years (can go up to five), First Time Starters, Maiden Special Weight, Turf, Route, on Lasix.

That all being said, what Scott Coles was referring to was the Angles module, which allows for 10s of thousands of combinations to create queries to test theories and to (using his words) "Flag" the user when a horse in an upcoming race meets that criteria.

Some, but not all, of this functionality is available free on the Race of the Day page at http://racelens.stats.com/

Suff
02-22-2019, 09:14 AM
Having used both I disagree Formulator filter features are more USER intense than those in Stats Race Lens.
[/url]

I used the words "User Intense", to mean: the formulator user has to set all the filters with drop downs, across 3 tabs. yes, you can save filters ( angles) in formulator, but I often end up using a custom filter, and that takes a second to build/create and save. As opposed to what I heard Scott saying about the pre-sets in State Race lense.

I was not suggesting that the angles in formulator are more intense, but the UI. ( user interface) requires work. Work that can be eliminated with pre-set choices. And from what I heard, Stat race lense has pre-sets, and formulator has none. You have to build them all yourself.

ubercapper
02-22-2019, 12:20 PM
Apologies for the misunderstanding.

GMB@BP
08-31-2019, 01:37 PM
I have been using Stats Race Lens pretty intensely the past week.

I dont think Formulator holds a candle in terms ability to customize compared to their product.

There are a few tweaks I would like to see and somethings things just do not display like I assume they are going to after I customize.

Few bugs when you query.

In general though its a much faster software than Formulator and is much easier to navigate, customize and has many more features, at a fraction of the price I might add.

Will have to use the product much more to have a real opinion on the pace and speed figures.

Given all the timing issues CJ finds that is a bit of a concern.