PDA

View Full Version : VETERINARY INFORMATION MADE AVAILABLE

takeout
09-24-2004, 01:43 PM
The Hong Kong Jockey Club has made the landmark decision to provide bettors with the complete medical history of their racehorses.

http://www.harnesslink.com/www/Article.cgi?ID=17177

kenwoodallpromos
09-24-2004, 09:51 PM
Lots of good info for the public on their site.

46zilzal
09-25-2004, 03:03 AM
How would an non-medical person evaluate a vet history?? If I gave you medical files on my patients, without experience in reading them and some expertise in medicine, you would draw wildly erroneous conclusions

Tom
09-25-2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by 46zilzal
How would an non-medical person evaluate a vet history?? If I gave you medical files on my patients, without experience in reading them and some expertise in medicine, you would draw wildly erroneous conclusions

Sounds like you are a doctor?
If so, here would be a niche market for you...interpreting the reports for a subscription fee.:D

ranchwest
09-25-2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by 46zilzal

And the conclusions we can currently draw are....

DJofSD
09-25-2004, 09:37 PM

On the surface, this question implies a certain amount on condescension. It gets my hackles up. We're talking about reading the medical history of a horse - not making a prognosis on a human.

Give some of us some credit. While we might not be medical doctors or trained vets (which is more arduous than an M.D.), some of us have horses and work closely with vet's. We learn. We read and we understand a lot more than some people would guess. To put it bluntly - we're not stupid.

I'd love to be able to read the medical history on any runner in today's race. This would be similar to having the medical evaluations (vet exam) for a horse at an auction.

And so what if people were to draw the wrong conclusion? Likely they'd get off a horse and those brave (or ignorant) enough would get better odds.

I say: NTRA, state racing associatations, HBPA, where do you come down on the issue?

DJofSD

46zilzal
09-25-2004, 10:10 PM
No one implied a thing. Medical information is difficult to evaluate even for professionals..taken out of context, real erroenuous reults can come about. Noted this based upon over 30 years expereince not a whim

Look at all the accpetance of "snake oit" treatment these days ....if it is on the tube, or in tprint IT HAS to be correct.

Wanna buy a copper bracelet like Santos wears?

DJofSD
09-25-2004, 11:11 PM
taken out of context, real erroenuous reults can come about.

Again, I am not making any kind of treatment recommendation, prognosis or decision that has any impact on the future of the horse. Why do you insist that I have to have sufficent skills to render a medical opinion when I am not attempting to make one? Here's a probable siutation: horse runs well then stops like it ran into a brick wall. Does it need LASIX? Or is it being raced into shape? What if it is gone for 3 or 4 months then is entered into a race. Wouldn't you like to know ahead of time that there was a flap that had been tied back?

"snake oit" treatment .... copper bracelet like Santos wears?

What do they have to do with publishing vet of info? Are you afraid vet's might be found out when they use non traditional treatments? Wouldn't bother me one bit.

DJofSD

MV McKee
09-26-2004, 02:33 AM
I wonder of the Vet reports would ever be allowed in North America....after all, we have claiming races.

so.cal.fan
09-26-2004, 01:05 PM
Don't they post you the body weight of the horses in HK?
This would be useful information, imo.

Tuffmug
09-26-2004, 10:27 PM
They also post daily gallops for each horse as well as workouts. They are well ahead of us on keeping the bettor informed. With Belmont blacked out, maybe it's time to bet overseas.

JPinMaryland
09-27-2004, 12:21 AM
Hey guess what doc? EVEN WITH THE RIGHT PROGNOSIS sometimes doctors make mistakes.

So get down off your high horse. Plenty of doctors who know how to analyze information will still make the wrong call. It's still a human (or equine) body after all and there is no certainty in such biological processes.

How can anyone be against adding more information to the pool of avaiable information?

Riddle me this doc? In a betting pool using medical info on horse, wouldnt Darwin's law take effect? I.e. wouldnt people who dont know how to read charts lose more money and those that can understand sort of what the medical information means would win more money?

Wouldnt that happen?