PDA

View Full Version : This doesn't seem right

Valuist
09-24-2004, 12:16 PM
TVG has more live remotes from Fairplex than from Saratoga. Is there really any reason to have live remotes? Show us more races and cut out the chit chat.

andicap
09-24-2004, 01:18 PM
they're based in LA.....producers LOVE live remotes.
When I worked in TV news, we had to have each night even if there was absolutely no news to report.

JustRalph
09-24-2004, 02:39 PM
Fairplex is only 40 miles from the TVG studio. I actually had discussions this summer with some TVG on air types about going to Saratoga for live coverage. There was some kind of problem with Saratoga and getting the deal done. I never pinned them down on what the real problem was..........but I got the feeling Saratoga wanted some extra cash...........

Tom
09-24-2004, 05:22 PM
It is not easy to be on the air all day long and show so few races. TVG has to really look for reasons not to show races!
They must in some secret deal to provide jobs in California for people obviously lacking in anything resembling talent!
If they were to actually show races, they would lose their audience of horseplayers, who, as we all, prefer snappy chatter and inane comments over throughbred action any day of the week! Who is Oatmeal Ed? And isn't there a Walmart jersey in his future???
:rolleyes:

BillW
09-24-2004, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Tom
It is not easy to be on the air all day long and show so few races. TVG has to really look for reasons not to show races!
They must in some secret deal to provide jobs in California for people obviously lacking in anything resembling talent!
If they were to actually show races, they would lose their audience of horseplayers, who, as we all, prefer snappy chatter and inane comments over throughbred action any day of the week! Who is Oatmeal Ed? And isn't there a Walmart jersey in his future???
:rolleyes:

Damn Tom,

You think that's bad, when I was in Albany the OTB channel wasn't even showing the Saratoga races. :eek:

Valuist
09-24-2004, 05:49 PM
What were they showing, Finger Lakes?

BillW
09-24-2004, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Valuist
What were they showing, Finger Lakes?

As a matter of fact, yes.

Tom
09-24-2004, 06:08 PM
You cannot use logic and common sense when you are in New York. They are banned here!:D

OTB.... a bookie who regualry loses money.
Betting through NY OTB is like using a hooker. It's is there if you can't find real love, but no one will ever marry it.

Most people think California is the nut capital of the world. It is really US! What other state's govenor rythmes with "wacky?"
(Pataki!)

NY humnor: I had two season tickets for the Buffalo Bills in my car. While I was shopping, some one broke into it and when I came back out, I had FOUR tickets! *groan*:rolleyes:

Figman
09-24-2004, 07:17 PM
Damn Tom,

You think that's bad, when I was in Albany the OTB channel wasn't even showing the Saratoga races.

Bill W,
In Albany-Saratoga area we get all the NYRA races "live" year around except for the Saratoga season. It is not Capital OTB's fault, NYRA has it written into the contract with Capital OTB NOT to show the races on TV-12 during the 36 days of Saratoga as it might hurt the ontrack Saratoga attendance.
In fact we get TOO MANY races and often they overrun each other!

Dan Montilion
09-24-2004, 07:20 PM
Tom

Ever been to the Peoples Republic of Berkeley?

Sorry, California still holds the goofy title of the world. Save North Korea.

Dan (looking for a home in McGill Nevada) Montilion

PaceAdvantage
09-25-2004, 01:20 PM
Didn't TVG have a live remote from Belmont last week (or was that 2 weeks ago)

Since they have entered into an exclusive deal with NYRA, I would expect a lot more live remotes....

JustRalph
09-25-2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage
Didn't TVG have a live remote from Belmont last week (or was that 2 weeks ago)

Since they have entered into an exclusive deal with NYRA, I would expect a lot more live remotes....
They Did. But I think the real problem is how much Todd Schrupp eats when on the road...............per diem is per diem........

Valuist
09-27-2004, 12:41 PM
With the switch of the Chicago circuit from AP to Hawthorne, I thought the coverage might improve w/HRTV. How wrong was I. Chicago, the 3rd biggest market in the United States, is relegated to having its first 4 races shown by HRTV, then apparently it falls off the face of the earth and into Lake Michigan. I guess races from Mohawk and Great Lakes Downs are more significant. Is it really that difficult to get the coverage right? Who in the hell is responsible for making these bone-headed decisions?

BillW
09-27-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Valuist
With the switch of the Chicago circuit from AP to Hawthorne, I thought the coverage might improve w/HRTV. How wrong was I. Chicago, the 3rd biggest market in the United States, is relegated to having its first 4 races shown by HRTV, then apparently it falls off the face of the earth and into Lake Michigan. I guess races from Mohawk and Great Lakes Downs are more significant. Is it really that difficult to get the coverage right? Who in the hell is responsible for making these bone-headed decisions?

Valuist,

Magna owns GLD, why would they favor HAW?

Bill

Valuist
09-27-2004, 12:52 PM
OK as far as GLD goes, but I know they show a number of non-Magna tracks. Other than GP and SA, the top tracks are shown by TVG. I would think that HRTV would want to tap into the Chicago market. Besides, if you're showing the first 4 races, why not just show the rest of the card? Really no excuse.

BillW
09-27-2004, 01:27 PM
There are varying levels of agreements that the broadcasters make with the tracks short of ownership. I sure they are choosing their programming in a manner that is financially beneficial to them. Try sending your complaint to them, if they get enough they will change.

Bill