Afleet
01-21-2019, 02:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9JYygqNfgE

Tom
01-21-2019, 03:10 PM
I missed the exacta.

ultracapper
01-21-2019, 03:39 PM
I went "all" in that race, you know, just in case something came out of nowhere.

Prytanis
01-21-2019, 05:57 PM
Was there that day

ultracapper
01-21-2019, 06:42 PM
You had to edit that post?

I'm just goofin'.;)

Afleet
01-21-2019, 07:13 PM
Was there that day

were you one of the ones booing?

Buckeye
01-21-2019, 07:40 PM
Best horse I ever saw run in person.

He didn't even look that good, my father told me, "he looks like a milk horse."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGLC1e01OV4

Redboard
01-21-2019, 09:01 PM
Since my favorite "race" was brought to the table, let me throw this question out ( some of you might remember this since we talked about this before).
The connections of Bid were very upset after this race, why?

Prytanis
01-21-2019, 09:10 PM
I went "all" in that race, you know, just in case something came out of nowhere.

You had to edit that post?

I'm just goofin'.;)

I changed it from quote to reply

dlivery
01-21-2019, 09:11 PM
Since my favorite "race" was brought to the table, let me throw this question out ( some of you might remember this since we talked about this before).
Why

G d :puke:

G d :popcorn::puke:

Thank You

Prytanis
01-21-2019, 09:12 PM
were you one of the ones booing?

I wasn't a big fan of his,but i didn't.

Buckeye
01-21-2019, 09:33 PM
Maybe Bud Delp was right.

Buckeye
01-21-2019, 09:41 PM
Did I ever tell you . . .

Make no mistake about it, I've done a few things, seen a few things, and studied a few things, not to mention the death of Ruffian.

reckless
01-22-2019, 02:01 PM
Couple of things I'd like to share.

ALL the horses were scratched early in the morning. None wanted to run against the Bid even for 2nd or 3rd monies.

But NYRA management did not want to hurt the expected large attendance by announcing it was a walkover. I am sure people would have stayed home if they knew.

I think the first scratch or two were announced around noon and then the others were peeled off as the day went on.

I forgot the name of the last one scratched. He was considered the Bid's main contender. It was a Tartan horse and my guess is that it was Dr. Patches. I think Fappiano came later. Not 100 percent sure but Dr. Patches sounds more right to me.

I really do not remember hearing any booing but if it did happen I'm gonna guess that it was directed more at NYRA than at the Bid or Buddy or the Meyerhoffs.

ultracapper
01-22-2019, 03:23 PM
It's an incredibly prestigious race and for nobody else to even want to step foot on the track for it speaks volumes about Spectacular Bid.

Probably the most deserving of the 2 out of 3s. He certainly would have been a worthy TC winner. He will always be the first of 36 KD winners to not finish the job.

classhandicapper
01-22-2019, 04:13 PM
I was there that day.

Those were glory days of racing. Not only did we get a run of great champions but they ran at 4 (or beyond in the case of Forego and other geldings). So we got a chance to see them develop further and spot weight.

HuggingTheRail
01-22-2019, 05:27 PM
I bet 45 seconds after the start of the race...

Afleet
01-22-2019, 06:34 PM
Best horse I ever saw run in person.

He didn't even look that good, my father told me, "he looks like a milk horse."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGLC1e01OV4

first time I ever saw that replay

Afleet
01-22-2019, 06:36 PM

I dont know; what is the answer?

Afleet
01-22-2019, 06:39 PM
I wasn't a big fan of his,but i didn't.

I was just messing w/you. You can hear the boos reigning down from the NY'ers-quite loud on the video

ultracapper
01-23-2019, 01:26 PM
You come out to the track to watch him bury at least a couple other horses, and you get a $150K workout.

Redboard
01-23-2019, 03:00 PM
I dont know; what is the answer?

They only received 1/2 of the purse. NYRA dug out some obscure statute in their rules that the winner of a walkover will only receive 50% of the purse.

Of course they didn't mention this until after the race.

Afleet
01-23-2019, 06:13 PM
They only received 1/2 of the purse. NYRA dug out some obscure statute in their rules that the winner of a walkover will only receive 50% of the purse.

Of course they didn't mention this until after the race.

very interesting. Spectacular Bid brings out all the fans and the handle that goes with it, then they screw the connections-typical

trifecta
01-24-2019, 12:15 AM
Bid Goes Solo In Woodward
By Andrew Beyer September 21, 1980
Washington Post

They gave a horse race and nobody came.

All of Spectacular Bid's potential challengers dropped out of the Woodward Stakes at Belmont Park today. The champion had only to make a pro forma solo gallop of 1 1/4 miles to "win" one of the most prestigious races in America.

The events of the day revived a term that had seemingly become extinct: walkover. The last time a horse found himself devoid of challengers in a major race was 1949, when Coaltown went into the starting gate alone for a stake at Havre de Grace, Md.

Walkovers don't happen any more because someone is usually willing to run for the standard 20 percent of the purse that goes to the second-place finisher in any race. It was an unusual combination of events that kept anybody from taking the Woodward's $40,000 second-place money.

Bid did not figure to have many opponents because he figured to be almost unbeatable under the Woodward conditions, which required him to carry only 126 pounds. Many of the nominees to this race ran instead in a $150,000 handicap at the Meadowlands on Thursday night.

Only three horses were entered against Bid. The trainers of Dr. Patches and Temperence Hill didn't have any serious intentions of running, but Winter's Tale figured to give Bid a decent battle.

When Winter's Tale was injured and scratched out of the race on Friday, Temperence Hill and Dr. Patches had a chance to win the easiest $40,000 of their lives. But even with that money available, trainer Joe Cantey was more concerned about seeing Temperence Hill voted the champion 3-year-old colt.

Getting him beaten by 20 lengths on national television would not have helped his prospects. Jan Nerud knew that Dr. Patches wasn't fully fit, and throwing him into a match race against the best racehorse on earth would hardly be salutary.

So Bid was left alone.

"I have mixed emotions," Bud Delp, Bid's trainer, said. "I would have liked to have met Winter's Tale because he's genuine. But I had said a few years ago that I would like to see Bid in a walkover and my dreams came true."

Delp had to give Bill Shoemaker, Bid's jockey, the simplest instruction of his long riding career: "Hold on."

Bid galloped the 1 1/4 miles in a good 2:02 2/5, with fractions of 26 1/5, 50 2/5, 1:14 1/5 and 1:38 1/5. The exercise served as a tuneup for his next start, the Jockey Club Gold Cup on Oct. 4. Bid earned $73,000 -- about half of what he would have earned in winning if the race were competitive -- for the most lucrative walkout in racing history. The rest of the purse went to the New York Racing Association.

He increased his all-time money-winning figure to $2,773,557.

Stymie was the last horse to win in a walkover in a major New York race, the Saratoga Cup in August, 1946.

Buckeye
01-25-2019, 05:13 PM
Greatest horse to ever look through a bridal,

that was the quote.

He never lost once the jockey change was made.

Buckeye
01-25-2019, 05:38 PM
Ok, he did lose to Affirmed (an older Triple Crown winner) in the Jockey Club Gold Cup in 1979.

But he was the best horse I ever saw run and I've seen a few.

Buckeye
01-25-2019, 05:47 PM
https://www.google.com/search?q=1979+jockey+club+gold+cup&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1