PDA

View Full Version : Goss Cia vote- Edwards diid not vote

kenwoodallpromos
09-21-2004, 11:36 PM
From AP wire:

September 21, 2004 CIA0922

WASHINGTON -- A Senate panel on Tuesday approved the nomination of Rep. Porter Goss, R-Fla., to head the CIA, overcoming Democrats' objections that Goss was too political for the job.

In a closed meeting, the Senate Intelligence Committee voted 12 to 4, with three Democrats joining the committee's nine Republicans in approving the nomination and one Democrat making no recommendation.

Goss' nomination could go before the full Republican-led Senate as early as this week.

Sen. Jay Rockefeller, D-W.Va., ranking Democrat on the committee, voted against Goss - President Bush's choice to head the CIA - saying that while chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, Goss had ``repeatedly used intelligence issues for partisan purposes.''

``While I appreciate his testimony and commitment to nonpartisanship if confirmed, I must vote on his record, not his promises,'' Rockefeller said. ``I sincerely hope that Porter Goss proves my vote wrong and becomes an independent and exceptional'' CIA director.

Goss served as House Intelligence chairman for nearly eight years. He would be only the second CIA director who served in Congress, after former president and House member George H.W. Bush.

Even before Bush nominated Goss in August, Democrats complained that Goss lacked the independence to lead the U.S. intelligence community.

Republican Senate Intelligence Chairman Pat Roberts said Monday that Goss is independent, nonpartisan and aggressive - and qualified for duty outside Congress.

``I am pleased the committee acted quickly and voted strongly in favor of the nomination of Porter Goss,'' Roberts said after Tuesday's meeting. ``His experience in both oversight and as an intelligence officer makes him uniquely qualified to lead the intelligence community as we debate its critical reforms.''

In addition to Rockefeller, Democrats who voted against the Goss nomination were Carl Levin of Michigan, Richard Durbin of Illinois and Ron Wyden of Oregon. Democrats voting for the nomination were Dianne Feinstein of California, Evan Bayh of Indiana and Barbara Mikulski of Maryland. ************John Edwards of North Carolina, the Democratic vice presidential nominee, made no recommendation.
________
If the Kerry-Edwards ticket is so good on national security and the terrorists, why did Edwards refuse to vote either yes or no on Goss nomination? Can't they ever make up their minds?

kenwoodallpromos
09-21-2004, 11:41 PM
Statement by John Kerry on the Selection of Porter Goss to be
From Kerry's official website:

Director of CIA
For Immediate Release

Las Vegas, NV - Senator John Kerry released the following statement today:

“I believe we must have fair, bipartisan and expeditious confirmation hearings on the nomination of Porter Goss to run the CIA. *******This is a key position in fighting the war on terror and should not be left vacant. But the most important position is one that hasn’t been created yet, National Intelligence Director with real control of budgets and personnel. We need to move urgently on this and other recommendations by the 9/11 Commission to make America safer. The most important thing we can do right now is reform and strengthen our intelligence services as the 9/11 Commission has recommended. I hope that Congressman Goss shares this view and will now support the creation of this important post.”

From Kerry site:

As a member of the Select Committee on Intelligence, Edwards has worked tirelessly to build a strong national defense and strengthen the security of our homeland.
(I guess he was too tired to vote. LOL.)

kenwoodallpromos
09-22-2004, 09:12 PM
Neither Kerry nor Edwards voted in Senate today on Cia Chief. Both arte lying wimps who could not care less about national security. Just like Clinton depleting our security andf pardoning terrorist helpers like Rich and the Purto Ricans.
They will not win a state in Nov.