PDA

View Full Version : Poor NYRA

Figman
09-21-2004, 10:38 PM
Now NYRA gets "mugged" by a consultant who if you read the Thoroughbred Times story you would think is a consultant to NYRA. Actually, he works for New York City OTB - NYRA's arch-enemy that has opposed every proposed NYRA takeout reduction!! At today's simulcast conference in Florida he stated:

The New York Racing Association has experienced similar disappointment with its takeout reductions over the past several years after slashing the effective blended takeout rates by about 7%, said consultant Charles Vickery, who has studied betting patterns in the state. NYRA handle was up only about 3.5%—or just half the reduction—from 2000-’03, he pointed out. After NYRA cut the takeout rate on pick six bets, handle actually declined, Vickery said.

Question -If most of the betting at NYRA is on exotic bets, as it is, (a takeout of 25% that has remained unchanged the past few years) and the second largest contributor to handle is multiple betting (a takeout of 2.5% less to 17.5% from 20% ), where does this Vickery character get the blended rate down 7%?????

Further, what's wrong with NYRA's handle being UP 3.5% while every other racetrackin the land has their handle on a downslide? Poor NYRA, they try to help the player and they can't win for losin.

the little guy
09-21-2004, 10:48 PM
NYC OTB is always at the forefront of understanding takeout reduction and how it increases handle. They would never act in their own perverse self interest. I can't believe you would be so cynical as to not just accept what this clown says at face value.

Figman
09-21-2004, 11:32 PM
I must have been mistaken. In the Bloodhorse story it says that Mr. Vickery works for NYRA. How could Barry Schwartz who is the horseplayer's friend, hire this Vickery guy?

Also on the agenda was a panel discussion of how racetracks price their services, a discussion prefaced by Linnell's remark that the "pari-mutuel industry has typically not had a good history of pricing." Included were descriptions by Steve Mitchell of Woodbine Entertainment, Peter Berube of Tampa Bay Downs, and Charles Vickery, consultant to the New York Racing Association, of the outcomes when those tracks reduced takeout rates.

While Berube hailed Tampa's reduction in 2004 as "an across-the-board success," Mitchell and Vickery were less enthusiastic in describing the effects of takeout reductions at their tracks.

Equineer
09-22-2004, 06:39 AM
Don't have a link, but there was an interesting study after NYRA had been at 14% on WPS for awhile. The gist was that the WPS share of handle increased at the expense of exotic handle, which lowered the effective net takeout percentage by an amount that diminished the bottom-line-benefit from increases to overall handle.

The hindsight recommendation was that WPS and exotic takeouts should have been examined and adjusted simultaneously to get the best overall result.

From memory, I think the study appeared in Blood-Horse.

WINMANWIN
09-22-2004, 11:05 PM
I at one time wanted N.Y.R.A. to retain its Franchise in 2007 when it comes up, after placing in the Spa Showdown, and STILL waiting Weeks for the checks to be sent:mad: :confused: I have no solace for any of Mgmt. The head Mutual Person & his associate are both gonna do a 6 mth stint, I read today. I sent an E-Mail for the prize update, and the response I got was another couple of weeks :eek: The time they mail the winning checks, it will be like 5 weeks since the contest Ended. Thats not fair, it's actually criminal, If there's so much red tape, and Beaucracy nonsense that has to be ciphered Thru, Before the funds can be sent, CANCEL THE SHOWDOWN, In my Book, after this ESCAPADE with them, They deserve there FATE, AND with a new Governor in the future, IT COULD VERY WELL BE DOOMSDAY ! good for them :D BTW Figman and The Liittle Guy, Excellent workmanship this past meet, super job ;)

the little guy
09-22-2004, 11:53 PM
I appreciate the kind words WINMANWIN, but I want to add that if you know either or both Clem Imparato or Vince Hogan either personally or professionally it would break your heart to see either of them going to jail. Two good guys who always looked to help when they could. Personally it not only saddens me, but it makes me sick, to think of them going to prison.

WINMANWIN
09-23-2004, 12:44 AM
I have had some unfortunate encounters with NYRA mutual clerks
in the past, and spoke with Clem some yrs ago. I wagered on a pick 3 at the $50.00 buck window at Aqueduct and singled a horse in a pick 3, I remember the heartache to this day, As we know, we jot down scratches when we get to the track etc.
I called out $40.00 pick 3 bets in race 2, total bet approx $160.00
bucks or so. The teller told me the horse was scratched in the 4th race. He said did I want Anything else, I said No Thank You. Well
1st leg WINS, 2ND LEG Wins, AND BY GOLLY the horse that was suppose to be scratched in the race, RAN AND WON, The teller mistake cost me arount 18 k. Now 1 would think, why wouldnt a teller give a customer a tkt:confused: Beats me also, unless the word was out on a horse with a good shot in the 4th, that paid a good price, AND it WAS, This horse didnt WIN by much, but it did WIN, and one slime took me over that day. There were no scratched horses in the pick 3's for races 2, 3, and 4 that day, Clem was very courteous on the phone, but it certainly didnt ease my pain:mad: Bottom line is, We all have to be ACCOUNTABLE for our actions, and the NYRA tellers & Mgmt
learned the hard way, as we all do.........

PaceAdvantage
09-23-2004, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by WINMANWIN
I at one time wanted N.Y.R.A. to retain its Franchise in 2007 when it comes up, after placing in the Spa Showdown, and STILL waiting Weeks for the checks to be sent:mad: :confused:

Were there any official rules posted which explicitly stated when you should expect delivery of your prizes?

WINMANWIN
09-23-2004, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage
Were there any official rules posted which explicitly stated when you should expect delivery of your prizes?

Not to my Knowledge, As I have viewed the site several times.
It states about Prize money, and deadlines.:mad:

PaceAdvantage
09-25-2004, 01:03 PM
There should be some official contest rules posted somewhere....

Whenever I have seen written rules for any contest, they always state that you should expect your prize in 4-6 weeks or something to that effect....

Bubbles
09-25-2004, 01:13 PM
I'm no expert on federal laws and regulations, but there's one thing I'm definitely sure of.

I don't want Magna to end up buying Saratoga because of legal issues, or any other reason for that matter.

Mailman
09-25-2004, 04:02 PM
winmanwin
Talk about tough beats! wow. Whem i bet pic3s at the local track and a teller tells me a horse is scratched and i did not have it scatched i cancel the bet and go to another teller and say the same bet, It happens about half the time that they take the original bet. How can anybody explain that.
Mailman

takeout
09-25-2004, 04:32 PM
It has happened to me too. Now when I go to the track I punch my own.

Zman179
09-25-2004, 06:45 PM
Me too. I much prefer SAM's. I've yet to see a SAM with a snotty attitude.