PDA

View Full Version : NYRA's 2019 Gift: editor's note: we don't know what should be written here

Thomas Roulston
01-12-2019, 11:50 AM
All maiden special weight and allowance purses have been cut - and there are sub-$10K claimers at NYRA for the first time since 2012.

castaway01
01-12-2019, 12:36 PM
All maiden special weight and allowance purses have been cut - and there are sub-$10K claimers at NYRA for the first time since 2012.

Can you post a link to the story about all NYRA MSW and allowance purses being cut? Thanks.

Afleet
01-12-2019, 12:39 PM
don't worry Oaklawn opens in two weeks

elhelmete
01-12-2019, 01:14 PM
Can you post a link to the story about all NYRA MSW and allowance purses being cut? Thanks.

Yeah I'd like to see that. Everything I see says the opposite.

Tom
01-12-2019, 01:20 PM
Wasn't getting rid of the cheap claimers the solution to avoiding the high number of breakdowns?

What is different this time?

I had read they were trying to get permission to have higher purses for cheaper horses to draw from other tracks?

Might as well cut the other purses - where are the NYSB horses going to go?

OP......:headbanger::headbanger::headbanger:

After a horrible year for NYRA at all three tracks, I am breaking my boycott of GP for the first time in many years.

They have big fields....time to go where the horses are.

Robert Fischer
01-12-2019, 02:01 PM

Make Me Wanna Holler ... The way they do my life

castaway01
01-12-2019, 02:30 PM
Wasn't getting rid of the cheap claimers the solution to avoiding the high number of breakdowns?

I had read they were trying to get permission to have higher purses for cheaper horses to draw from other tracks?

After a horrible year for NYRA at all three tracks, I am breaking my boycott of GP for the first time in many years.

They didn't cut the purses, they've raised them this winter. It's fake news.

cj
01-12-2019, 02:49 PM

They didn't get rid of cheap claimers, they limited how high the purse could be for them. I think they set a limit of double the claiming price. For a while we had things like 10k claimers running for 30k, maybe even more, don't remember the exact number.

PaceAdvantage
01-12-2019, 02:56 PM
So I should delete this thread, right?

elhelmete
01-12-2019, 03:29 PM
So I should delete this thread, right?

Eventually I would but I'm curious to see how the OP responds. If he's not too busy researching defunct oddball track layouts.

Tom
01-12-2019, 04:19 PM
They didn't get rid of cheap claimers, they limited how high the purse could be for them. I think they set a limit of double the claiming price. For a while we had things like 10k claimers running for 30k, maybe even more, don't remember the exact number.

Yeah, that's what I meant - they needed to offer higher purses.

Might as well X it if it is not true.

Thomas Roulston
01-12-2019, 04:35 PM
Yes, I was wrong about the purse cuts for maiden and allowance races, but not about the $8K claimers - and the $16,000 purse for them is the lowest we've seen at NYRA since 2010: In 2012 open $7.5K claimers on the Aqueduct inner track had a purse of $29,000 if less than a mile and $30,000 if a mile or over - and even $7.5K N2L claimers had a purse of $25,000 if less than a mile and $26,000 if a mile or over (route bonuses were abolished at NYRA starting with the first Belmont meet in 2014, one of the last racing jurisdictions to do so).

So PolitiFact would rate my claim at least "Half True," if not "Mostly True."

cj
01-12-2019, 04:41 PM
Yes, I was wrong about the purse cuts for maiden and allowance races, but not about the $8K claimers - and the minimum $16,000 purse for them is the lowest we've seen at NYRA since 2010: In 2012 open $7.5K claimers on the Aqueduct inner track had a purse of $29,000 if less than a mile and $30,000 if a mile or over - and even $7.5K N2L claimers had a purse of $25,000 if less than a mile and $26,000 if a mile or over (route bonuses were abolished at NYRA starting with the first Belmont meet in 2014, one of the last racing jurisdictions to do so).

Those purses are due to the rule in place now about claiming price to purse ratio, and frankly I think it was a very good rule.

Thomas Roulston
01-12-2019, 04:59 PM
Those purses are due to the rule in place now about claiming price to purse ratio, and frankly I think it was a very good rule.

Why is it a very good rule - when it places NYRA at a competitive disadvantage with other tracks in the area, such as the determinedly bleak (I've been there several times) Parx, who ran a $7,500 N2L claimer which had a purse of $19,000 on Tuesday?

therussmeister
01-12-2019, 05:13 PM
Why is it a very good rule - when it places NYRA at a competitive disadvantage with other tracks in the area, such as the determinedly bleak (I've been there several times) Parx, who ran a $7,500 N2L claimer which had a purse of $19,000 on Tuesday?

I believe they run open $5,000 claimers for $25,000 the few times when they card such conditions.

Thomas Roulston
01-12-2019, 05:43 PM
I believe they run open $5,000 claimers for $25,000 the few times when they card such conditions.

The 4th race on Monday is in fact such a race (purse $24,000).

castaway01
01-12-2019, 07:00 PM
Yes, I was wrong about the purse cuts for maiden and allowance races, but not about the $8K claimers - and the $16,000 purse for them is the lowest we've seen at NYRA since 2010: In 2012 open $7.5K claimers on the Aqueduct inner track had a purse of $29,000 if less than a mile and $30,000 if a mile or over - and even $7.5K N2L claimers had a purse of $25,000 if less than a mile and $26,000 if a mile or over (route bonuses were abolished at NYRA starting with the first Belmont meet in 2014, one of the last racing jurisdictions to do so).

Your claim is they cut purses for maiden and allowance races and there are sub-10K claimers. The first part is 100% a lie (purses were actually raised substantially) and the second part was done for a reason (and now suddenly you're worried about them competing with Parx and THAT'S the negative).

So how in your mind is what you wrote "mostly true"? It's maybe 10% true and 100% irrelevant and misleading.

Tom
01-12-2019, 08:05 PM
When you pay $20,000 for nickle claimers, what deterrent is there to not run broken down sore horses for the big purse? Why would you care if your horse got claimed? You win a lot more than it's worth.

Aqu was having a lot of break downs that led to this rule.

At Aqu, would you rather play a field of 10 8K clainers ir a field of 5 25K claimers?
Probably not more than a beyer point or two difference anyways.

Thomas Roulston
01-12-2019, 08:14 PM
When you pay $20,000 for nickle claimers, what deterrent is there to not run broken down sore horses for the big purse? Why would you care if your horse got claimed? You win a lot more than it's worth.

Aqu was having a lot of break downs that led to this rule.

At Aqu, would you rather play a field of 10 8K clainers ir a field of 5 25K claimers?
Probably not more than a beyer point or two difference anyways.

But which races get the biggest fields - and therefore, make the most money for the Association?

When I was 12 years old (in 1971), NYRA had $3,500 claimers and $5,000 maiden claimers - and most of them had 14-horse fields, particularly at Saratoga, where Halo broke his maiden in I believe it was a $20K MCL.

And isn't it the track veterinarian's job not to allow a "broken down, sore horse" to run? And can't a trainer be fined for attempting to run such a horse and causing a late scratch?