PDA

View Full Version : Interest Rate Direction. Your Thoughts

Teach
01-09-2019, 11:30 AM
I have a couple CDs coming due later this month. What thoughts does the forum have as to the direction of interest rates? I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts/opinions.

Ocala Mike
01-09-2019, 01:04 PM
Steady with a slight downward bias. The Fed turned dovish not long ago.

sour grapes
01-09-2019, 05:30 PM
I have a couple CDs coming due later this month. What thoughts does the forum have as to the direction of interest rates? I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts/opinions.

just buy 3 month t bills getting 2.5%,if interest rates go up the rate will go up
when you rebuy.

highnote
01-16-2019, 05:38 PM
just buy 3 month t bills getting 2.5%,if interest rates go up the rate will go up
when you rebuy.

Just some food for thought...

You might consider a closed-end mutual fund selling at a deep discount to net asset value. One such fund is Aberdeen Asia-Pacific Income Fund, Inc. (FAX). Its net asset value is about $4.77 and you can buy it for about $4.07.

FAX is a bond fund that pays a monthly dividend. I have owned it on and off over the years. It is nice to receive a monthly check that is much greater than what a bank pays. Of course, you do risk your principle more than with a CD. But given that FAX sells at a about a 17% discount to NAV it is unlikely to go much lower, plus it should eventually correct itself so that it no longer trades at a discount.

lamboguy
01-16-2019, 05:42 PM
forget the cd's, but real money, GOLD

reckless
01-16-2019, 09:21 PM

I would look at preferred stocks of strong, sound and growing companies. It's best to stick with companies with very long operating history such as banks and insurance companies.

You could get 5.25 per cent yields on preferreds such as Bank of America that will pay every quarter and you can sleep quite well at night.

Personally, I would stay clear of oil Exploration and Production companies and all types of REITS.

Also, never, ever pay more than $25 for the stock.

Good investing.

highnote
07-12-2019, 03:23 PM

What did you ultimately decide to do?

lamboguy
07-12-2019, 03:37 PM
What did you ultimately decide to do?GOLD went up over 15% vs. the dollar and more vs. other currencies. i see no reason to sell it now either. i think it outperforms the equity markets by a mile plus you have insurance against the central bankers of the world.

Ocala Mike
07-12-2019, 06:16 PM
Steady with a slight downward bias. The Fed turned dovish not long ago.

Didn't see the rally in gold coming, but got this right 6 months ago.

reckless
07-18-2019, 05:34 AM
Wow, this guy Teach asked us for some thoughts and advice and 5 people posted to help him out yet we get no thanks, no acknowledgement, no nothing in return from him.

highnote
07-18-2019, 03:29 PM
Wow, this guy Teach asked us for some thoughts and advice and 5 people posted to help him out yet we get no thanks, no acknowledgement, no nothing in return from him.

Maybe he is dead?

PaceAdvantage
07-18-2019, 05:49 PM
Wow, this guy Teach asked us for some thoughts and advice and 5 people posted to help him out yet we get no thanks, no acknowledgement, no nothing in return from him.He already wrote he would appreciate any help or opinions...so he's already given his appreciation...:pound:

reckless
07-18-2019, 08:29 PM
Maybe he is dead?

No excuse. .... Just kidding.

I hope Teach that you are doing well.

reckless
07-18-2019, 08:32 PM
He already wrote he would appreciate any help or opinions...so he's already given his appreciation...:pound:

Ahhh... sorry Mike, I don't agree. Teach rec'd a few nice suggestions. A simple comment or two after we posted these suggestions would have been better than what he did by ignoring us. Not all posts needed a reply.

reckless
07-18-2019, 08:33 PM
And that you're still alive.

I was alive until the last race at Spa, anyway. :lol:

highnote
07-18-2019, 08:35 PM
I was alive until the last race at Spa, anyway. :lol:

LOL I hear ya.

By the way, I deleted my message. I didn't want to keep piling on. :D

reckless
07-18-2019, 08:43 PM
LOL I hear ya.

By the way, I deleted my message. I didn't want to keep piling on. :D

Pile on, I'm used to it. :lol:

classhandicapper
07-22-2019, 10:07 AM
Didn't see the rally in gold coming, but got this right 6 months ago.

I'm having loads of fun with gold.

There are several posts in the archive where I said I was accumulating in the $1200 range. I was taking some lumps in my mining shares for awhile, but things are looking good right now. If the economy does start slowing significantly, real rates start dropping, and there's more talk of QE again etc.. it could get pretty in a hurry. The flip side could be rough sledding for awhile. I'm more of a medium to long term investor. I rarely trade.