PDA

View Full Version : Voting Privilege

CryingForTheHorses
09-20-2004, 08:14 PM
I have a question.
In the united states you may only vote if your a citizen?..IS this True?? Why does the goverment not allow legal tax paying immigrants to vote?
Seems to me they have a lot of people from all over the word in the USA and when I heard this I just had to ask. Thanks

Dick Schmidt
09-20-2004, 08:27 PM
It really doesn't matter very much as there are only 7 legal immigrants in the U.S. anyway. The rest all sneaked in.

The real reason is that the Constitution defines voting rights as being given only to citizens. The legal requirements have been changed over the years by amendments allowing minorities and women to vote, but no one ever considered resident aliens. As far as I know, no other nation does either. If they are here legally and do some really trivial study, they can become citizens with full voting rights.

Dick

You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the great struggle for independence.
- Charles Austin Beard (1874-1948)

Tom
09-20-2004, 09:06 PM
Why in the world should we allow anyone the rights of citizenship without the responsibilities? If someone wants to live here and not become a citizen they are only visitors. Allowing people to live here an not lean our language is ridiculoous...ot dilutes our culture. If people are so wedded to thier homeland and customer, fer chrissakes, stay there. If they are willing to adopt our culture, our language, contribute to our society, pay taxes, then by all means, we should grant them citizenship if they are indeed legal.

chickenhead
09-20-2004, 09:43 PM
kind of like old timey courtship....you might get to 3rd base just dating a girl....but if you wanted to get all the way home you just had to marry her.

keilan
09-20-2004, 11:30 PM
Chic

kind of like old timey courtship....you might get to 3rd base just dating a girl....but if you wanted to get all the way home you just had to marry her.

Poor analogy –nobody under 30 understands a word you said :D

BillW
09-20-2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by keilan
Chic

Poor analogy –nobody under 30 understands a word you said :D

Guess baseball is not at popular as it used to be :eek:

sq764
09-21-2004, 12:01 AM
yeah, ruffies weren't popular back then :-)

JustRalph
09-21-2004, 12:38 AM
You think things haven't changed........High School Document from an Atlanta School.........the kids got a 3 day suspension. This is a 3 year old document too..........I wonder what was the big news story not long before this???????? Huh, I wonder?

http://www.homehorseplayer.com/oral_at_school.jpg