PDA

View Full Version : No Turf racing at Santa Anita Sunday

ronsmac
01-05-2019, 05:03 PM
The forecast called for rain so Santa Anita was proactive and carded all dirt races tomorrow even though the condition book called for 4 grass races. So they do check the weather forecasts.

ultracapper
01-05-2019, 07:35 PM
The forecast called for rain so Santa Anita was proactive and carded all dirt races tomorrow even though the condition book called for 4 grass races. So they do check the weather forecasts.

Yep, awesome job getting out in front of it and writing a card that may not get riddled with scratches. Connections knew what was coming when they entered so we shouldn't see many scratches.

ZippyChippy423
01-05-2019, 08:54 PM

Yes but the issue is with NYRA, they are the ones who don’t bother using weather reports. If they did then we would see things like what SA is doing. Gross negligence on NYRA ‘s part especially 2018.

stlseeeek
01-05-2019, 09:06 PM
yeah, but after it rains, trainers will scratch horses and your back to the typical 5-6 field cali races

ronsmac
01-05-2019, 09:25 PM
yeah, but after it rains, trainers will scratch horses and your back to the typical 5-6 field cali racesThey've been averaging roughly 8 1/2 thus far this meet but it would probably be 9 if they hadn't been running 1 extra race everyday. Tomorrow they are back to a normal 9 races on a Sunday for this time of year. Those extra 8 races they've run so far may be felt in the upcoming weeks.

dilanesp
01-05-2019, 09:48 PM
Yes but the issue is with NYRA, they are the ones who don’t bother using weather reports. If they did then we would see things like what SA is doing. Gross negligence on NYRA ‘s part especially 2018.

Oh come on, we all know New York doesn't have the weather problems we have here in California.

ultracapper
01-06-2019, 02:01 AM
Oh come on, we all know New York doesn't have the weather problems we have here in California.

HAHA!! I took about a 5 year hiatus after Longacres closed, and when I decided which circuit I would get back in at, I chose SoCal because of the weather. I figured one less variant to concern myself with.

Someday Silent
01-06-2019, 02:16 AM
Just got done reading the article about how NYRA tracks took 193 races off the turf last year. Yikes.

therussmeister
01-06-2019, 11:21 AM
AccuWeather says no rain today @ Santa Anita.

Suff
01-06-2019, 11:55 AM
half a million carryover

ultracapper
01-06-2019, 02:17 PM
I looked at the weather report for Arcadia at about 9:30 PST last night and the prediction for rain was down to 3 hours in the middle of the night, with sunshine all afternoon.

Afleet
01-06-2019, 02:31 PM
Just got done reading the article about how NYRA tracks took 193 races off the turf last year. Yikes.

AQU should have put in a tapeta type surface instead of another turf course

Tom
01-06-2019, 03:40 PM

:ThmbUp: Amen!

dilanesp
01-06-2019, 04:25 PM

Yep. If they had that, there would be far fewer scratches because a lot of turf horses can adapt to synthetic.

v j stauffer
01-07-2019, 11:35 PM
HAHA!! I took about a 5 year hiatus after Longacres closed, and when I decided which circuit I would get back in at, I chose SoCal because of the weather. I figured one less variant to concern myself with.

Isn't the idea to have as many variants and variables as possible? More chances for people who don't work as hard to miss something.

ultracapper
01-08-2019, 11:24 AM
Maybe so, but weather is not one I want to deal with.

A man has to pick his fights.

Someday Silent
01-09-2019, 11:53 PM

Agreed. It seems to work fine for Woodbine, Golden Gate, and other places where "every day" racehorses have to pick up paychecks during those hard winter months.

Thomas Roulston
01-14-2019, 10:51 AM
Yep. If they had that, there would be far fewer scratches because a lot of turf horses can adapt to synthetic.

Hasn't the synthetic boat long since sailed?

dilanesp
01-14-2019, 11:31 AM
Hasn't the synthetic boat long since sailed?

Unlikely, if you look at other sports.

Technology improves over time. Today's FieldTurf is far more advanced than first generation Astroturf. Same with tennis hardcourts versus asphalt or wood, and Mondo tracks versus Tartan or rubber.

Synthetics will get better and better, safer and safer, and will return.