PDA

View Full Version : R7 Santa Anita G2 San Gabriel 1/5/19

Lemon Drop Husker
01-05-2019, 12:46 PM
First big turf race of the new year for older males on the Left coast. Pretty good field of 10 with some BC runners in the fold.

:1: Liam the Charmer: The BC Mile was about as dreadful a race as a horse of this caliber can have. Gotta simply cross that one off as he gets back to his home grounds and much firmer turf. Still, I'm not a real fan of the 4/1 ML and Desormeaux's 1 for 20 start to this meet is as appetizing as a pickled egg at your local tavern. Couple of works rolling into this one show he may be ready. Tough read.

:2: Platinum Warrior: The Irish invader hasn't had much success in his first 3 attempts in the States. However, they haven't exactly backed down from competition either. A couple of big changes in blinkers and the return of his across the pond jockey in Shane Foley. While I still feel he needs softer ground than what Santa can offer, he'll be a big price for a heckuva talented colt.

:3: Cleopatra's Strike: Initial glance, and this entry looks to be in well over his head. A bit further inquiry and he becomes a lot more interesting. D'Amato takes over training duties, and while not having a great start to the meet, is as solid as any. We also get the services of Flavor Flav on his back. He is arguably the best turf rider on the west coast. Lastly, he has been working like a champ rolling in here after shipping down from Woodbine. The 8/1 ML seems a bit low, but there are some intriguing things to like about this one.

:4: Oscar Dominguez: 4 for 29 lifetime racing against much lesser for the majority of his career. Should be a monster price, and deservedly so. Hard pass.

:5: Chicago Style: This lightly raced Kitten's Joy colt likes to win. 6 for 11 lifetime with a G2 score last out. The one thing that sticks out for me is his liking for longer routes of 10 to 12 furlongs. Not sure 9 furlongs is in this guys wheelhouse which could make him a susceptible likely favorite. Otherwise, he is hard to knock of keeping out of virtually any exotic ticket.

:6: Flamboyant: This battle tested 8YO may be past his prime, but he is always dangerous. Not exactly in his best form, and pulls Blanc as his mount. While I've always liked this guy, I've gotta let him beat me today.

:7: Next Shares: One of the favorites in the BC Mile, he came up well short when the real running started. This millionaire earner is now back in a lesser field and should find the goings much easier. Has to be considered a major contender, but of note is his 0 for 4 record at this venue. Some good and bad with this one, and if you like, he'll be a short price.

:8: Big Score: He hasn't done much 'scoring' lately with his last victory dating back 12 races ago on April 7th of 2017. You'll also get the Mike Smith factor in which he'll likely go off at half the price he should. While he doesn't run many bad races, he also doesn't win either. Looks to be exotics bound at best.

:9: Big Bend: Since his G3 score in the Keeneland Sycamore back in October of '17, this guy has done little to nothing in his last 6 starts. They will be taking blinkers off and get the services of Smokin' Joe Talamo. Off a much needed break and a couple of solid works. Still, he needs to improve by several lengths to be competitive in here. Could be an exotics booster, or the bomb to spice up horizontals. He could also finish DFL.

:10: Arms Runner: After winning his first 2 races to start his career, he has done little to nothing in his last 8 starts. Looks to be in well over his head in here. Pass.

Lemon Drop Husker
01-05-2019, 01:41 PM
:8: Big Score is scratched.

jay68802
01-05-2019, 01:43 PM
:1: Liam the Charmer: 4-1 Nothing to exciting here, more of a tote play, if he takes some action, could be dangerous. Pass.

:2: Platinum Warrior: 15-1 In a race with no speed, he adds blinkers. Dangerous at this price. Contender.

:3: Cleopatra's Strike: 8-1 Previous races are not that bad or that good. Gets Pratt and that is the upside here. Pass.

:4: Oscar Dominguez: 20-1 Wins in claiming company, not at this level. Pass.

:5: Chicago Style: 3-1 Probably should be in the mix. Likes to win. Contender.

:6: Flamboyant: 5-1 16 seconds and thirds, compared to 5 wins. Pass.

:7: Next Shares: 7-2 The best if on his game. The Pick.

:8: Big Score: 6-1 Like the :6:. Pass.

:9: Big Bend: 12-1 Interesting because there is no speed here, can steal this. Contender.

:10: Arms Runner: 30-1 Very interesting for the price, runs well in slow pace races. Contender.

Exacta: :7: / :2::5::9::10:

jimmyb
01-05-2019, 02:02 PM
:2: Platinum Warrior.

Think he's got the class

WP

jocko699
01-05-2019, 04:58 PM
:1: Liam the Charmer should bounce back and worth keying.

biggestal99
01-05-2019, 05:16 PM
I love :7: next shares in this spot

Looks like a shortie however.

Allan

Buckeye
01-05-2019, 05:47 PM
I'm playing the 5 Chicago Style to win although I'm worried about the 7 Next Shares, but I think 7 is too slow.

Lemon Drop Husker
01-05-2019, 05:56 PM
:2: Platinum Warrior

:2:/:5::6::7:/:1::3::5::6::7::9:

098poi
01-05-2019, 05:57 PM
$2 Ex

:3:, :5:, :7: / :3:, :4:, :5:, :7:, :9: = $24

tophatmert
01-05-2019, 06:01 PM
:4: w/p and exboxes with:3::7:

Lemon Drop Husker
01-05-2019, 06:06 PM
:3: Cleopatra's Strike taking a lot of money.

Lemon Drop Husker
01-05-2019, 06:21 PM
I love :7: next shares in this spot

Looks like a shortie however.

Allan

Well done. :ThmbUp:

ultracapper
01-06-2019, 02:51 AM
$2 Ex

:3:, :5:, :7: / :3:, :4:, :5:, :7:, :9: = $24

27.5% on your money in 2 minutes.

Only in America

098poi
01-06-2019, 08:38 AM
27.5% on your money in 2 minutes.

Only in America

I didn't bet that. I was disappointed with the outcome. I may not be a good handicapper or the best at making wagers but I can often tell the outcome of a photo before it's final. I was sure the :3: won. I was wrong though.