PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Grass Filly/Mare of all time

RacingFan1992
01-02-2019, 03:59 PM
I find the grass fillies and mares to be tougher because they are run against males and they make it look easy.

In the history of racing, who is your favorite grass filly/mare? (Example: Makybe Diva, Allez France, Winx, Enable, Black Caviar, Goldikova, Treve, Found, and Dahlia just to name a few). I'm sure there are some I am forgetting.

Mine will always be Enable after I saw her dig in and overcome the turf condition in the Breeders' Cup Turf.

biggestal99
01-02-2019, 04:21 PM
I find the grass fillies and mares to be tougher because they are run against males and they make it look easy.

In the history of racing, who is your favorite grass filly/mare? (Example: Makybe Diva, Allez France, Winx, Enable, Black Caviar, Goldikova, Treve, Found, and Dahlia just to name a few). I'm sure there are some I am forgetting.

Mine will always be Enable after I saw her dig in and overcome the turf condition in the Breeders' Cup Turf.

Ouija board.

Allan

biggestal99
01-02-2019, 04:23 PM

My friend from the UK says Pebbles.

Allan

dilanesp
01-02-2019, 05:34 PM
Estrapade or Dahlia.

Spalding No!
01-02-2019, 05:49 PM
Several more:

Royal Heroine
Miesque
Tepin
Zarkava
Hatoof
Triptych
Indian Skimmer
All Along

Prytanis
01-02-2019, 06:35 PM
Waya

April Run

Pebbles

the little guy
01-02-2019, 07:47 PM
Waya

jocko699
01-02-2019, 07:56 PM
Beautiful Glass

Prytanis
01-02-2019, 08:07 PM
Waya

Didn't Waya beat It's in the Air on dirt?

PhantomOnTour
01-02-2019, 08:34 PM
Sarah Lane's Oats

the little guy
01-02-2019, 08:34 PM

Probably

RacingFan1992
01-02-2019, 08:40 PM
Waya beat her in the Beldame in which she came in 5th.

devilsbag
01-02-2019, 10:12 PM
Waya broke through the gate prior to the start of that Beldame, let her stablemate Fourdrinier take care of It's in the Air, then ran her down over a sloppy track. Waya had won stakes in the slop earlier in the year, beating the boys and Late Bloomer while giving away actual weight in the Saratoga Cup (at Belmont) and also defeating Pearl Necklace in the Top Flight. Back to the Beldame, when Fourdrinier held on for second and both It's In the Air and Blitey finished off the board, the bridgejumpers splashed home, but not in the same way as Waya. The show prices were huge.

Anyway, this was about turf mares, right? Earlier in her career Waya ran nine furlongs in 1:45 2/5 to win the 1978 Diana at Saratoga, which an earlier poster in this thread highlighted on the Diana telecast earlier this year. A similar segment is also hidden on the NYRA Now app. Later that 1978 season Waya beat grass champions Mac Diarmida and Trillion, but had to wait a year for her Eclipse Award. Cordero holds her in very high regard, and among other things said she was the smartest horse he ever rode in his life.

the little guy
01-02-2019, 10:19 PM
Waya broke through the gate prior to the start of that Beldame, let her stablemate Fourdrinier take care of It's in the Air, then ran her down over a sloppy track. Waya had won stakes in the slop earlier in the year, beating the boys and Late Bloomer while giving away actual weight in the Saratoga Cup (at Belmont) and also defeating Pearl Necklace in the Top Flight. Back to the Beldame, when Fourdrinier held on for second and both It's In the Air and Blitey finished off the board, the bridgejumpers splashed home, but not in the same way as Waya. The show prices were huge.

Anyway, this was about turf mares, right? Earlier in her career Waya ran nine furlongs in 1:45 2/5 to win the 1978 Diana at Saratoga, which an earlier poster in this thread highlighted on the Diana telecast earlier this year. A similar segment is also hidden on the NYRA Now app. Later that 1978 season Waya beat grass champions Mac Diarmida and Trillion, but had to wait a year for her Eclipse Award. Cordero holds her in very high regard, and among other things said she was the smartest horse he ever rode in his life.

She beat Pearl Necklace in that Diana. I'll never forget that race. She beat the boys ( with Cordero ) in the Man O' War that Fall ( I feel like Tiller was second but could be wrong ) and that would have been before beating Mac Diarmida and Trillion in the Turf Classic ( which was run at Aqueduct back then I believe ).

She might be my all time favorite horse. If not, she's up there. She was great.

sammy the sage
01-02-2019, 10:51 PM
Goldikova....just....much respect...

devilsbag
01-02-2019, 11:32 PM
She beat Pearl Necklace in that Diana. I'll never forget that race. She beat the boys ( with Cordero ) in the Man O' War that Fall ( I feel like Tiller was second but could be wrong ) and that would have been before beating Mac Diarmida and Trillion in the Turf Classic ( which was run at Aqueduct back then I believe ).

She might be my all time favorite horse. If not, she's up there. She was great.

Tiller was second in both the Man o' War and the Turf Classic. The Turf Classic was at Belmont that year, Aqueduct the next.

Ignore the title of the video, here is Waya winning the 1978 Turf Classic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6OWCzU-VTI

This is Waya running third in an allowance race in 1979. Not sure who the winner was, but Silent Cal finished second:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW4zldVRX28

Spalding No!
01-02-2019, 11:54 PM
...when Fourdrinier held on for second and both It's In the Air and Blitey finished off the board, the bridgejumpers splashed home, but not in the same way as Waya.
One Liner of the Year.

Might go wire-to-wire.

linrom1
01-03-2019, 12:02 PM
License Fee

Wait a While

Intercontinental

Buckeye
01-03-2019, 07:54 PM
"And here comes the French filly Miesque!"

The first horse to win two consecutive Breeders' Cup races.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNHgvLj1RJY

Rollingpk3
01-03-2019, 11:14 PM
ventura

Someday Silent
01-04-2019, 12:27 AM
This is a good topic, and one that makes me think a lot. I can't settle on just a few individuals.

I know we didn't see a lot of Six Perfections but her win in the 2003 BC Mile is a favorite of mine.

taxicab
01-04-2019, 01:07 AM
Sunline or Miesque.
Maybe a nod towards Sunline...

alydar
01-04-2019, 08:27 AM
Waya

She was my favorite, always ran with heart, and had many agonizingly close exciting finishes.

foregoforever
01-04-2019, 09:34 AM
Makybe Diva.

Here in the states, Megahertz and Heat Haze.

rubicon55
01-04-2019, 10:20 AM
For me it's Goldikova

dilanesp
01-04-2019, 10:41 AM
This is a good topic, and one that makes me think a lot. I can't settle on just a few individuals.

I know we didn't see a lot of Six Perfections but her win in the 2003 BC Mile is a favorite of mine.

I hit a big score on her.

classhandicapper
01-04-2019, 11:04 AM
It might just be recency bias, but I'm falling in love with Enable.

GMB@BP
01-04-2019, 11:08 AM
Megahertz

ronsmac
01-04-2019, 11:18 AM
MegahertzYou read my mind.

outofthebox
01-04-2019, 08:04 PM
Loved a filly named Kilijaro in California in the early 80's

mikekk
01-04-2019, 09:48 PM
Miss Alleged.

Because a $86 win price in the Turf Classic made me very, very happy

Mike

Spalding No!
01-04-2019, 10:42 PM
Flawlessly and some of her rivals like Toussaud and Kostroma.

GMB@BP
01-05-2019, 04:19 PM
Flawlessly and some of her rivals like Toussaud and Kostroma.

"Flawlessly got first run, and I do believe the Beverly Hills is history, it belongs to Flawlessly"

One of Trevors best calls as Kent got Jolypha boxed in in a 4 horse field.

I worked with that mare (Flawlessly) for about a year, a sweet heart.

arw629
01-06-2019, 12:59 AM
I was always a big fan of Winter Memories