PDA

View Full Version : no belmont signal for jersey players

trickey
09-20-2004, 10:19 AM
as a regular simulcast player at the meadowlands i find it unbeleivable that nyra has pulled the signal because they want more money.....meadowlands, monmouth, freehold and even philly park are now not receiving belmonts signal......

with the current state of racing in decline....who makes these business decisions that again do nothing but hurt the player...

Tuffmug
09-20-2004, 10:32 AM
NYRA did not pull the signal. Those tracks are refusing to carry the signal because of an exclusive deal given to TVG for account wagering.

Binder
09-25-2004, 05:52 PM
Man
what a drop in attendance and probably handle
at Meadowlands today (Sat. 9/25)
No Belmont no bets no interest
no "bodys" at the track

Zman179
09-25-2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Binder
Man
what a drop in attendance and probably handle
at Meadowlands today (Sat. 9/25)
No Belmont no bets no interest
no "bodys" at the track

Quite interesting! Highly likely that they all went to Belmont since it's only about a 45 minute drive from Club Med.
If this keeps up, the Co-Operative might wind up giving in since The Meadowlands actually has the highest average simulcast handle in the USA. This might've been a good thing for NYRA since an on-track dollar gains more revenue than an off-track dollar (given that these fans that stayed away actually went to Belmont).

sq764
09-25-2004, 08:13 PM
I see Delaware Park doesn't carry the signal now either..

Figman
09-25-2004, 09:18 PM
Guys, the problem is two words....Marty Lieberman.

He is the disgruntled ex-NYRA lead attorney that was let go and now runs the Mid-Atlantic simulcast cooperative and he doesn't give a "rat's ass" about any bettors!

takeout
09-26-2004, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by sq764
I see Delaware Park doesn't carry the signal now either..
I read that there are 19 tracks in the Mid-Atlantic Co-op. (Finally some tracks found something that they could agree on.:rolleyes: ) I don’t look for this thing to go away any time soon. Evidently the NYRA was just looking for a bail out and surely TVG must’ve known that there would be SOME consequences for this latest brainstorm of theirs.

JustRalph
09-26-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by takeout
TVG must’ve known that there would be SOME consequences for this latest brainstorm of theirs.

yeah, like a bunch of money into their coffers..........

bettheoverlay
09-26-2004, 04:12 PM
While entering the SPhilly Turf Club Saturday, announcer Keith Jones is saying that again Belmont was not being offered. He then said that next Saturday Belmont had 4 G1 Breeders Cup preps and that they hoped to have the situation resolved.

Don't know how much credence to give to that as I can't locate any info saying there are even discussions going on. Turf Club didn't have the usual big crowd so I would assume there is a real financial downside to this.

BillW
09-26-2004, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by bettheoverlay
While entering the SPhilly Turf Club Saturday, announcer Keith Jones is saying that again Belmont was not being offered. He then said that next Saturday Belmont had 4 G1 Breeders Cup preps and that they hoped to have the situation resolved.

Don't know how much credence to give to that as I can't locate any info saying there are even discussions going on. Turf Club didn't have the usual big crowd so I would assume there is a real financial downside to this.

Bet,

I think that what's being said here is that there is no discussion to be had. The tracks themselves decided on their own to lock out NYRA. All they have to do is decide to turn them back on.

Bill

The Hawk
09-26-2004, 07:12 PM
4 Grade 1's at NYRA next week? Let's see: for the dirt races, I'd put the average field size for those races at around 6, and the average win price at about $4.20.

Figman
09-26-2004, 08:30 PM
As I have been telling ya' and now Barry Schwartz agrees...its ex-NYRA employee and an ex-manager that was at NYRA when all their trouble began - Marty Lieberman!
http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=24492

takeout
09-27-2004, 12:16 AM
Get a good seat ‘cause I think this show is just beginning. Lieberman says the consortium has asked NYRA to reconsider and Schwartz says there’s nothing for NYRA to negotiate since it has already signed the contract with TVG.

Sounds like a stalemate to me.

I thought the most interesting part was:

NYRA, despite its pledge of operating with more transparency, has refused to make public its TVG contract. Schwartz cited "trade secrets" for the decision.

trickey
09-27-2004, 10:02 PM
what was the deal that nyra made with tvg.....i didn't hear about this.....the article that i read in the daily news only said that the jersey tracks and philly pulled the plug because of a rate dispute....it didnt mention anything about tvg.......

takeout
09-28-2004, 01:28 AM
http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/todaysnews/newsview.asp?recno=48436&subsec=1

trickey
09-28-2004, 07:08 PM
takeout.....thanks for the nyra....tvg article....i had not heard about that deal.......

The_Knight_Sky
10-03-2004, 11:01 AM
Count me among those who diverted my handle to the other tracks
that the The Meadowlands offered on Saturday.

I had no inclination to travel to Belmont Park for Super Saturday.
I do not wish to support any conglomerates keeping "trade secrets" from fans. http://www.hoc-board.de/phpBB2/smilies/traurig/jpshakehead.gif

takeout
10-03-2004, 07:12 PM
From the Paul Daley column on Friday:
[snip]
It's a shame that racing fans need to be so inconvenienced on one of racing's biggest fall days, but if there is no resolution today, NYRA will really feel it in the pocketbook tomorrow and their deal with the devil (i.e. TVG) won't be looking as good in the light of day. Everybody suffers, but mostly the loyal fans, as usual.
[snip]
http://www.lowellsun.com/Stories/0,1413,105~4767~2439706,00.html

PaceAdvantage
10-04-2004, 11:12 AM
I know it's been bandied about loosely in another thread, but let me ask this question, in the hopes that somebody has some real numbers....

How exactly are the mid-Atlantic tracks being so hurt by the NYRA-TVG deal, that they refuse to take the signal?

I'm asking, because I don't know.

shanta
10-04-2004, 11:37 AM
I would also like to know how "Mid -Atlantic" thing is being so badly affected by the Tvg deal.

This might be a coincidence but the Meadowlands has been much less crowded and yesterday was the first time they closed the clubhouse on a Sunday that I can ever remember.

Richie

takeout
10-04-2004, 02:15 PM
I think all of that stuff is just spin & BS from both sides. I think this is about exclusives and the long-range fight to see who ends up with all of the marbles.

the little guy
10-04-2004, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage
I know it's been bandied about loosely in another thread, but let me ask this question, in the hopes that somebody has some real numbers....

How exactly are the mid-Atlantic tracks being so hurt by the NYRA-TVG deal, that they refuse to take the signal?

I'm asking, because I don't know.

I thought I posted this before, but here are the changes...

Rockingham and Colonial lost the right to take NYRA races through their account wagering systems unless they make a seperate deal with TVG ( which, of course, is possible ). A small part of Pennsylvania lost the NYRA signal through PA/OTB, they can of course get it through TVG which if not offered on their cable systems is easily obtainable through DirectTV.

Suffolk and Rockingham, starting January 1, will pay LESS for the NYRA signal than before.

Those are the ONLY changes.

Equineer
10-04-2004, 11:40 PM
The Little Guy,

If you know the "ONLY changes"... you know the numbers. Please be forthcoming. As players, the numbers enable us to judge the wagering alternatives, which vary in quality of service, amenities, and sometimes by adding surcharges or membership fees, or by offering players' club incentives or rebates.

From a player's perspective, the "trade secret" story really doesn't wash any premise except dirty laundry. Detailed information about takeout splits was a matter of public record before simulcasting deals came along.

PaceAdvantage
10-05-2004, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by the little guy
I thought I posted this before, but here are the changes...

Rockingham and Colonial lost the right to take NYRA races through their account wagering systems unless they make a seperate deal with TVG ( which, of course, is possible ). A small part of Pennsylvania lost the NYRA signal through PA/OTB, they can of course get it through TVG which if not offered on their cable systems is easily obtainable through DirectTV.

Suffolk and Rockingham, starting January 1, will pay LESS for the NYRA signal than before.

Those are the ONLY changes.

Yes, I remember your post, but for some reason, thought that it wasn't "official numbers" or something to that effect. Much thanks for taking the time to re-post!

PaceAdvantage
10-05-2004, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Equineer
From a player's perspective, the "trade secret" story really doesn't wash any premise except dirty laundry.

With the independent state watchdogs hovering over NYRA these days, you can be fairly certain there isn't any dirty laundry. They'd be all over it like ketchup on fries.

Equineer
10-05-2004, 06:31 AM
PA,

You teed up the real numbers question:I know it's been bandied about loosely in another thread, but let me ask this question, in the hopes that somebody has some real numbers....The numbers question is not strictly a NYRA thing or a legal issue... whenever/wherever there's a signal squabble, we are fed conflicting self-serving stories. They all could just as well give us the numbers and save their breath.

As I said: "Detailed information about takeout splits was a matter of public record before simulcasting deals came along."

the little guy
10-05-2004, 10:41 AM
I have no idea what " numbers " you mean.

I gave the changes, and the only " number " involved is the fee being LOWERED for Suffolk and Rockingham.

PaceAdvantage
10-05-2004, 04:57 PM
Well, when I mentioned numbers, I was trying to get at what the Mid-Atlantic people are SAYING this is costing them???

If they are out there saying we aren't going to take NYRA's signal, they must be offering a REASON, right? Usually, this reason takes the form of some sort of monetary suffering they claim will be brought upon them if they take NYRA's signal post-TVG deal.

I'm just looking for the actual reasons and/or numbers the Mid-Atlantic folks are putting out in the press. Are they that shallow in their argument that they have nothing to offer in terms of WHY they aren't taking the signal?

the little guy
10-05-2004, 08:01 PM
The answer to your question is a resounding YES.

All they have to do is work out a deal with TVG that will allow them to continue their account wagering. Yes, this will cost them a small percentage of that action ( which is currently under $1000 daily for Colonial and Rockingham ). So what if it costs them, say, 3% or roughly $150 weekly or less than $8K annually, as if they don't have NYRA in their " package, who is going to open an account with them to begin with, especially considering all the other options. And if their account system grows in the years ahead, which it very well should, and it costs them more ( though I'm sure they can work out a sliding scale ), so what, as they will have a successful business arm on their hands.

The bottom line is that NYRA pays to put on their show, they own the signal, and they have a right to work out deals that they find profitable. Typically, all simulcast deals are 12 months in length, so the fact that things can change is not at all surprising. What's surprising is how little they seem to. The stronger NYRA gets ( i.e. a franchise extension ) the more things will change.

Marty Lieberman is not playing fair and he's screwing his customers and fans in the process.

BillW
10-05-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by the little guy

All they have to do is work out a deal with TVG that will allow them to continue their account wagering. Yes, this will cost them a small percentage of that action ( which is currently under $1000 daily for Colonial and Rockingham ).

Penna had locked their signal out from TVG from the beginning and Md has since Frankie took over. (Thinking about this, I guess I don't know that Pa. has "locked" out TVG for sure, I have just never seen PHA or PEN carried on TVG and they don't take wagers either). What if they did something silly like allow TVG to carry their action? Possibly TVG would reciprocate and return the favor.

This seems to me like TVG finally got some leverage on a group that has been locking them for awhile and are just returning the favor.

Bill

the little guy
10-05-2004, 08:45 PM
It's not payback. TVG paid handsomely for the rights to NYRA's races and owns account wagering rights outside of NY, NJ, CT and PA. It wasn't a deal to spite Stronach, or anyone, it was a deal done to strengthen themselves.

takeout
10-05-2004, 09:26 PM
This thing seems to me to be about who will eventually weasel their way into the NYRA franchise, or, perhaps more accurately, keeping Magna out.

takeout
10-06-2004, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage
I'm just looking for the actual reasons and/or numbers the Mid-Atlantic folks are putting out in the press. Are they that shallow in their argument that they have nothing to offer in terms of WHY they aren't taking the signal?
The Co-op probably doesn’t want us to know anymore about the details of all of this stuff than the NYRA and TVG do.

First the NYRA makes some hush-hush deal with TVG that’s over and done before anyone even knows about it. Even after that the details can’t be divulged because of “trade secrets”. I guess if they told us they would have to kill us.

Whatever this thing is really about, it sure teed off the Co-op (strong Magna influence, I’m guessing) because they wasted no time in pulling the plug.

First it was TVG with the exclusives, then Magna. Where does CD Inc. figure in all of this industry takeover action? Are they cozy with TVG too? I can’t remember.

Speed Figure
10-06-2004, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by takeout
First it was TVG with the exclusives, then Magna. Where does CD Inc. figure in all of this industry takeover action? Are they cozy with TVG too? I can’t remember.
They are very cozy with TVG. TVG's got all the exclusive rights to CD tracks.

takeout
10-06-2004, 03:13 AM
Ahh.. that’s interesting. So, instead of the big three we may now be getting down to the big two. ??