PDA

View Full Version : Great Education day at Belmont!!!!

Storm Cadet
09-19-2004, 10:11 PM
Started off the day by going to my trainers barn, Leah Gyrmardi, at Belmont. Talked about various therapy methods used by equine trainers as opposed to therapy that I do on athletes. Amazing that they for the most part, do what we did 40-50 years ago as they have not caught up with this part of medicine. The're surgery procedures have kept pace with ours, but not the therapy end of the game.

She had me in the stalls of her horses feeling for swelling and heat in knees and joints of the horses. She and I spent about 2 hours together looking at her horses and discussing how I would treat them. For the most part, she was trained by Allan Jerkins, who used old time medicine to treat injuries...some still works...but I was trained in medicine with up to date methods...swelling is swelling...pain is pain...tendon injuries are the same...sore muscles are similar.

We are going to work together in the future. I'm going to volunteer to treat her injuried with modern therapy techniques weekly...she's going to come to my facility to watch my staff and I treat athletes. I'll keep you all informed as this proceeds.

After that, because of a chance meeting at Saratoga this summer, I was invited to the NYRA State testing barn to watch the post race test procedeures by their medical staff as I do the same for the NCAA and USOC as well at my college. We had a great exchange of information, and I learned a lot being there for 2 races. They were great, VERY PROFESSIONAL learned a lot from them too. We spoke on some confidential and controversial issues...what a great day!!!!!

I've posted a pix of my trainer with JJ Castellano and my new claimer...DILLIGENT GAMBLER...PS new betting angle...as my buddies kidded me yesterday...1st day Ron...this is the 3rd time out of 3 that my horses have won 1st time out with me as an owner...twice in their maiden 2yo 1st race and this one 1st off claim...so I'm 3-3-0-0 100% with a ROI of who knows???? ;) Overall I'm 9-4-1-1
which is 44%-11%-11% ITM 66%...wish I could handicap as good....:D

Trijack
09-19-2004, 11:06 PM
Storm Cadet

Hope you can get her to change to updated ways to treat horses. Sometimes the longer we do something the harder is to change.

I enjoyed all the talks we had Saratoga. Leaving for a 2 week vacation tomorrow in Alabama and Kentucky. Going to visit Lexington again and visit some more horse farms.

Good luck in your treatment of horses.

Jack

stuball
09-20-2004, 09:04 AM
Hi Ron

Just a few lines to thank you for your hospitality during the Saratoga trip....really do appreciate it.. I for one am always glad to hear about how you are doing and I think it would be a great angle to follow how you are doing and how your horses are doing with different trainers...

I wrote you an e-mail a couple of weeks ago about doing a study of different investment groups like west point....when you did not answer I assumed you had someone else doing it for you...

Whatever the case, I wish you the best of luck and hope that
your efforts will be greatly rewarded...as you are a great guy..
and your efforts are to help the horses which will ultimately help you...

Thanks again for all your hospitality

Stuball

WINMANWIN
09-20-2004, 10:31 AM
Nice going Storm, Continued Success.:cool: