PDA

View Full Version : College Football: Bowl Games and Championship

Someday Silent
12-29-2018, 06:42 PM
So far in the Cotton Bowl, Clemson leads Notre Dame 23 to 3.

Looks like we may see Alabama vs. Clemson at tue National Championship Game for the fourth year in a row, though I hope Oklahoma beats Alabama later tonight.

burnsy
12-29-2018, 07:07 PM
I’ve complained about it before but that committee crap is nonsense. There are teams better than Notre Dame that didn’t get in. I also have my doubts about Oklahoma too. It’s a sham, they need a better system.

Someday Silent
12-29-2018, 07:22 PM
I’ve complained about it before but that committee crap is nonsense. There are teams better than Notre Dame that didn’t get in. I also have my doubts about Oklahoma too. It’s a sham, they need a better system.

Yes, I agree with you. This isn't a top-level game... this is Clemson outclassing a hapless opponent. I don't know much about Oklahoma so I won't make any definitive claims about the team. I tend to dislike Alabama so I hope they get upset.

burnsy
12-29-2018, 09:07 PM
It’s a bs committee, contrived system. Expand the thing to a real playoff. Oklahoma is getting a beat down too. Georgia and Florida are better than Notre Dame and Oklahoma. Joke system.

Someday Silent
12-29-2018, 09:24 PM
It’s a bs committee, contrived system. Expand the thing to a real playoff. Oklahoma is getting a beat down too. Georgia and Florida are better than Notre Dame and Oklahoma. Joke system.

Indeed. Right now this is painful to watch.

Marshall Bennett
12-30-2018, 08:57 AM
Georgia got beat and eliminated. Notre Dame went undefeated, one of three major colleges with respectable schedules to do so. An argument could be made against Oklahoma, but there's little doubt after losing to Texas early on they were the best team with 1 loss.
Without a more broad playoff system, someone every year is going to be offended. Imo, the 4 best teams made the playoffs, and whatever happened to them after that was their own undoing.

Tom
12-30-2018, 10:35 AM
I was perfectly happy with the major bowl games on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day.

Never saw the need for any kind of champion.
The bowl games were more than enough to cap the year.

ronsmac
12-30-2018, 11:31 AM
The current system isn't great but it's much better than the bcs where 2 teams were picked to play in the championship. I remember when it was even worse when they didn't even play a championship game and people just voted for the champion. Now that was crazy. One poll said Michigan was the champ another said Nebraska was the champ. It was as bad as boxing.

cj
12-30-2018, 01:31 PM
The current system isn't great but it's much better than the bcs where 2 teams were picked to play in the championship. I remember when it was even worse when they didn't even play a championship game and people just voted for the champion. Now that was crazy. One poll said Michigan was the champ another said Nebraska was the champ. It was as bad as boxing.

Do we really need four teams? Most of the semi-final games have been blowouts.

ronsmac
12-30-2018, 01:42 PM
Do we really need four teams? Most of the semi-final games have been blowouts.
I'd rather see 8. Ohio st. and Georgia probably would have been better than Notre Dame , but I understand why Notre Dame made it.

zico20
12-30-2018, 02:01 PM

You are correct in that it is a joke. I thought the idea was to get the four best teams in there. I don't know what planet you would have to be on to not see Georgia was the third best team in the country. I like Notre Dame so this is not sour grapes, but they would have gotten blown out to Alabama also. Georgia would have played either Alabama or Clemson close.

zico20
12-30-2018, 02:08 PM
I'd rather see 8. Ohio st. and Georgia probably would have been better than Notre Dame , but I understand why Notre Dame made it.

Okay, since you made this statement, exactly how would you choose the eight teams. If it were up to me I would take the eight best teams no matter how they finished in their conference. No conference would be guaranteed a spot. Why? Because it would cheapen the regular season. Right now it is essential to win almost all of your games. If the power 5 conference champions would get an automatic spot, the only thing the regular season would be meaningful for is to win your DIVISION. Then you get a chance to be one of the final eight. Crap IMO. That is right, a 6-6 team could be playing for a spot. UCLA years ago was 6-6 and lost in the PAC 12 championship game.

FakeNameChanged
12-30-2018, 02:10 PM
Notre Dame hasn't been good since Lou Holtz's days.

zico20
12-30-2018, 02:16 PM
It will expand eventually, too many people in different conferences are already calling for it. Here is what I would do if they had to expand. Make it the top six, the best six, no conference guarantee. The top two seeds get a bye to the bowl games as they are currently set up. Number 3v6 and 4v5 with the 3/4 playing at home the week after the championship games weekend. Okay, Navy-Army will be pissed as they won't have the following Saturday all to themselves, but so be it.

That would have meant Georgia and Ohio St. would have made it. The match ups would have been Notre Dame/Ohio St and Oklahoma/Georgia.

If these clowns deciding it can't get it right, then expand to six, but no more. There needs to be a huge reward for being either the first or second best team, which in my scenario would be a first round bye.

Marshall Bennett
12-30-2018, 04:24 PM
Going to Eight teams would often bring into play teams with 2 losses. I don't believe any team with 2 losses deserves a shot at a championship. They already blew their chances. Whether its 4 or 8 teams, someone will feel they've been cheated and left out. The more teams that get to compete, the cheaper the title becomes.
Imo, this is exactly why the World Series lacks the excitement it once had.

ronsmac
12-31-2018, 11:00 AM
Okay, since you made this statement, exactly how would you choose the eight teams. If it were up to me I would take the eight best teams no matter how they finished in their conference. No conference would be guaranteed a spot. Why? Because it would cheapen the regular season. Right now it is essential to win almost all of your games. If the power 5 conference champions would get an automatic spot, the only thing the regular season would be meaningful for is to win your DIVISION. Then you get a chance to be one of the final eight. Crap IMO. That is right, a 6-6 team could be playing for a spot. UCLA years ago was 6-6 and lost in the PAC 12 championship game.I'd make it simple. Take the power 5 champs and 3 wildcards. My 3 wildcards would have been Georgia , UCF and Notre Dame. It's never going to be perfect but fewer teams would gripe and the fans would have more entertainment and meaningful games to bet on. Complaining that you're the 9th team carries less weight than complaining about being the 5th team.

zico20
12-31-2018, 02:53 PM
I'd make it simple. Take the power 5 champs and 3 wildcards. My 3 wildcards would have been Georgia , UCF and Notre Dame. It's never going to be perfect but fewer teams would gripe and the fans would have more entertainment and meaningful games to bet on. Complaining that you're the 9th team carries less weight than complaining about being the 5th team.

There would be much less entertainment for the fans. Fans would not care as much if their favorite team lost three games in September, it would be mostly irrelevant. I personally like the idea that teams face must win situations all through out the year. It makes games more exciting.

ronsmac
12-31-2018, 06:02 PM
There would be much less entertainment for the fans. Fans would not care as much if their favorite team lost three games in September, it would be mostly irrelevant. I personally like the idea that teams face must win situations all through out the year. It makes games more exciting.
Under the scenario that i just used. Georgia would be the only 2 loss team. They should have been in the 4 team playoff.

ultracapper
12-31-2018, 07:51 PM
Going to Eight teams would often bring into play teams with 2 losses. I don't believe any team with 2 losses deserves a shot at a championship. They already blew their chances. Whether its 4 or 8 teams, someone will feel they've been cheated and left out. The more teams that get to compete, the cheaper the title becomes.
Imo, this is exactly why the World Series lacks the excitement it once had.

Broadening a playoff system like MLB and NBA is different than expanding the one-and-done scenarios of the NCAA basketball tournaments and NFL playoffs. Expanding those "best-of" series tournaments with a bunch of teams does take a lot of steam out of the Finals. But a one and done tournament can expand aggressively and it only enhances the Final game. Just look at basketball. NBA playoffs are difficult to stay focused on. The NCAA basketball tournament is arguably the most entertaining sporting event of the year. It wouldn't be if it were still the 16 team tournaments that John Wooden won annually. The expansion has been a gold mine.

The NCAA could easily keep the nation's attention with a 3 week, 8 team, one-and-done football tournament.

And I can remember a late '80s Fla St team that lost it's first 2 games of the year and then ran the table, proving without a doubt to be the best college football team that year. There was an early 90's WA Husky team also that lost 2 games that went to the Rose Bowl and so humiliated Iowa that they pulled down some first place votes. The Huskies went undefeated the next year and shared the national title with Miami, but the team that lost 2 games the year before was an undoubtedly better team than the nat title team. 2 losses in a 12 or 13 game season shouldn't be a disqualifying condition. 2 losses can come in all sorts of shapes and sizes.

Lemon Drop Husker
01-01-2019, 09:05 AM
The current playoff works. Its sole purpose is to identify the best team, and it has done that in it's first 5 years of existence.

The only change, if any, is to create separate divisions for G5 and P5. UCF has won 25 straight games and didn't get a shot. Quit with pretending, and create 2 divisions. You don't have to reinvent the wheel with conference expansion, or conferences combining, or teams being moved.

You then have 5 Conference Champs to be decided by whatever means the P5 conferences see fit to crown their champion. The committee then simply needs to seed the teams with the #4 and #5 seeds play a "bunny bracket" game to get into the Semi-Finals.

I'd also be good with the committee deciding which conference champ of the P5 conferences to be left out and leave it at 4 teams that get in.

This would also force Notre Dame to be aligned with the ACC or they would be left out.

Win your regional championship before you can contend for a national championship. Would make it a de facto 10 team playoff which would obviously include conference championship games.

Georgia had their shot at Bama, and shit the bed. Ohio State and Michigan didn't deserve a chance. UCF played a horribly weak schedule and would lose 3 to 4 games in the weekly grind of a P5 schedule. More isn't always better.

Expanding to 8 is absurd. We are getting blowouts in the 4 team playoff the way it is. 8 UCF at 1 Alabama would have been a disaster. 7 Michigan at 2 Clemson would be garbage. The 2 best teams are playing in the College Football Championship Game.

reckless
01-01-2019, 12:30 PM
I don't as a rule bet sports, only horseracing.

But I do love and watch college f-ball and today I made two bets:

LSU over UCF

Georgia over Texas.

Joking slightly, I think LSU got a memo or two --ha, ha-- from the SEC bigwigs, telling them to crush UCF and run the score up. LSU might just do that and shut up this school for once and for all.

Again, just a silly feeling that the SEC is sick and tired of the bellyaching by UCF these past two years and an LSU blowout is in the works.

Georgia is simply a much, much better team than Texas in a much, much tougher conference.

AndyC
01-01-2019, 12:33 PM
The current playoff works. Its sole purpose is to identify the best team, and it has done that in it's first 5 years of existence.

The only change, if any, is to create separate divisions for G5 and P5. UCF has won 25 straight games and didn't get a shot. Quit with pretending, and create 2 divisions. You don't have to reinvent the wheel with conference expansion, or conferences combining, or teams being moved.

You then have 5 Conference Champs to be decided by whatever means the P5 conferences see fit to crown their champion. The committee then simply needs to seed the teams with the #4 and #5 seeds play a "bunny bracket" game to get into the Semi-Finals.

I'd also be good with the committee deciding which conference champ of the P5 conferences to be left out and leave it at 4 teams that get in.

This would also force Notre Dame to be aligned with the ACC or they would be left out.

Win your regional championship before you can contend for a national championship. Would make it a de facto 10 team playoff which would obviously include conference championship games.

Georgia had their shot at Bama, and shit the bed. Ohio State and Michigan didn't deserve a chance. UCF played a horribly weak schedule and would lose 3 to 4 games in the weekly grind of a P5 schedule. More isn't always better.

Expanding to 8 is absurd. We are getting blowouts in the 4 team playoff the way it is. 8 UCF at 1 Alabama would have been a disaster. 7 Michigan at 2 Clemson would be garbage. The 2 best teams are playing in the College Football Championship Game.

So you would establish a monarchy whereby all of the current P5 teams are deemed to be royalty eligible to receive the monetary benefits and recruiting advantages that go with being royalty? No thanks.

The recruiting would open up for many of the G5 teams if there was path to the playoffs. The dream needs to be enhanced not removed.

There would be far more fan interest in any type of playoff game compared to myriad of exhibition bowl games that are now played for TV audiences only. Blowouts will happen but so will major upsets. Teams should be given a chance on the field and not eliminated by a group of people voting in some room on the Sunday after the regular season ends.

zico20
01-01-2019, 01:27 PM

LSU over UCF

Georgia over Texas.

Joking slightly, I think LSU got a memo or two --ha, ha-- from the SEC bigwigs, telling them to crush UCF and run the score up. LSU might just do that and shut up this school for once and for all.

Again, just a silly feeling that the SEC is sick and tired of the bellyaching by UCF these past two years and an LSU blowout is in the works.

Georgia is simply a much, much better team than Texas in a much, much tougher conference.

I agree with you that Georgia is going to wallop Texas, but your LSU bet is already looking in trouble, they are down 14-3 early.

reckless
01-01-2019, 02:07 PM
I agree with you that Georgia is going to wallop Texas, but your LSU bet is already looking in trouble, they are down 14-3 early.

I know LSU looks like they are playing for the NFL Draft but I also may have been too harsh on UCF. They look very fast of foot, which is always a big deal, imo.

Zico, as I type this LSU now has the lead. Should be a fun game afterall.

ronsmac
01-01-2019, 02:29 PM

Expanding to 8 is absurd. We are getting blowouts in the 4 team playoff the way it is. 8 UCF at 1 Alabama would have been a disaster. 7 Michigan at 2 Clemson would be garbage. The 2 best teams are playing in the College Football Championship Game.Absurd? That's funny. Last year UCF beat Auburn who beat Georgia and Alabama. Of course they should have been in an 8 team playoff. The same way Georgia should be in an 8 team playoff this year. Alabama could've easily been left out last year and they won the entire thing. Smart move by Saban to switch qbs after halftime. No way the win it if they stuck with Hurts.

Marshall Bennett
01-01-2019, 04:12 PM
I'll take Texas +12. Georgia is a demoralized group having lost out to Alabama. Texas didn't have a season like Georgia did, but they did beat Oklahoma. Should know early on which Texas team shows up.
When UCF assumes a respectable schedule, they'll get the respect they need to compete for the crown. Other than LSU today, North & South Carolina, I see nothing else they've played but garbage.

AndyC
01-01-2019, 05:59 PM
I'll take Texas +12. Georgia is a demoralized group having lost out to Alabama. Texas didn't have a season like Georgia did, but they did beat Oklahoma. Should know early on which Texas team shows up.
When UCF assumes a respectable schedule, they'll get the respect they need to compete for the crown. Other than LSU today, North & South Carolina, I see nothing else they've played but garbage.

Pitt and Cincinnati are garbage?

ultracapper
01-01-2019, 06:01 PM

Absurd. You think if the old bowl system would have been the best way to generate TV ratings, they would have sacrificed it for a playoff? Every conference that had a stake in the old bowl system had to be sold on the playoffs, and it took years and many pounds of "grease" to get it done.

AndyC
01-01-2019, 06:02 PM

The NFL doesn't seem to have a problem when the favorite teams lose 3 or more games and make the playoffs. Would you prefer teams schedule opponents such as the Citadel so that they can keep their schedules unblemished?

jocko699
01-01-2019, 09:41 PM
Pitt and Cincinnati are garbage?

Pitt and Cincy are garbage. You cannot expect to compete for the NC unless you play the best teams 95% of the year.

Someday Silent
01-01-2019, 10:46 PM
Indeed. Right now this is painful to watch.

I posted this comment right before Oklahoma woke up and started putting up touchdowns. In the end they did very respectably.

I still think Notre Dame shouldn't have gotten in over Georgia. Yes they were undefeated, but one has to consider the quality of the opposition. Clemson honestly would have beaten them by a lot more if Dabo Swinney hadn't chosen to put in some of his second- and third-stringers towards the end.

Someday Silent
01-01-2019, 11:03 PM

LSU over UCF

Good call! :ThmbUp:

woodbinepmi
01-02-2019, 03:21 AM
Georgia is simply a much, much better team than Texas in a much, much tougher conference.[/QUOTE]

SEC went 1 and 3 against the Big XII in bowls. HOOK 'EM!

Lemon Drop Husker
01-02-2019, 05:24 AM
Welp. So much for playoff expansion.

"Deserving" teams in Georgia and UCF both lost to teams not even in the CFP committee's top 10. Both teams trailed by double digits for the majority of those contests.

#3, #4, #5, #7, #8, and #9 ranked teams all lost in the CFP or their bowl game.

#1 Alabama, #2 Clemson, #6 Ohio State, and #10 Florida were the only top 10 teams to win.

But hey, let's make these kids play another game so super fan can be entertained from his barcalounger. (And no, schools aren't risking taking away a regular season home game that brings schools in $6 - $10 million in revenue to help support other sports.)

ronsmac
01-02-2019, 12:00 PM

"Deserving" teams in Georgia and UCF both lost to teams not even in the CFP committee's top 10. Both teams trailed by double digits for the majority of those contests.

#1 Alabama, #2 Clemson, #6 Ohio State, and #10 Florida were the only top 10 teams to win.

But hey, let's make these kids play another game so super fan can be entertained from his barcalounger. (And no, schools aren't risking taking away a regular season home game that brings schools in $6 - $10 million in revenue to help support other sports.)I've changed my mind about an 8 team playoff and would prefer a 16 team playoff. These bowls are so meaningless and nobody cares anymore, including many of the players. My main motivation is entertainment based. A 6 vs 11 means nothing now but would mean a lot if it's to reach the quarters. The top 2 seeds would have it easy but even this years 3rd and 4th seeds wouldn't have been locks to make it to the semis. Just more fun overall.

Lemon Drop Husker
01-02-2019, 12:14 PM
I've changed my mind about an 8 team playoff and would prefer a 16 team playoff. These bowls are so meaningless and nobody cares anymore, including many of the players. My main motivation is entertainment based. A 6 vs 11 means nothing now but would mean a lot if it's to reach the quarters. The top 2 seeds would have it easy but even this years 3rd and 4th seeds wouldn't have been locks to make it to the semis. Just more fun overall.

Entertainment based?

So, you don't give a hoot about the players (just the fans?) that are playing for peanuts with millions on the line for a number of them if they get hurt? (Can't wait for a QB on a 16 seed that is a potential draft pick sitting out the 1st round so he doesn't get hurt; cause it will happen. Likely would have happened this year with Will Grier sitting out for West Virginia on the road at Alabama.)

Fans shouldn't mean a damn thing for determining who the best team is in any given year.

Every year in college football going back to the 70s, there have been 1 to 3 dominant teams in any given year. This year we have 2 that are head and shoulders above the rest and remain as the only undefeated teams in all the land. They play on Monday for the title; and deservedly so.

If you can't win your regional/conference championship, you haven't earned the right to play for a national championship.

reckless
01-02-2019, 03:48 PM
Good call! :ThmbUp:

Thanks but I was also dead wrong in the Sugar Bowl.

Texas was a deserving winner, for sure.

ultracapper
01-02-2019, 03:55 PM

But hey, let's make these kids play another game so super fan can be entertained from his barcalounger. (And no, schools aren't risking taking away a regular season home game that brings schools in $6 - $10 million in revenue to help support other sports.)

Lets be fair. #3, #4, and #9 all lost to higher ranked teams.

I think Georgia just crashed and burned after the SEC championship heartbreak. Couldn't blame them. Texas played OK, but on most Saturday afternoons, that Georgia team would have hit them pretty hard.

reckless
01-02-2019, 04:02 PM

Yes, was I ever wrong in the Sugar Bowl! It wasn't a sweet game by any means.:)

No doubt, Texas was a very deserving winner.

I'm liking Clemson a little next week but it is so hard to go against Bama for sure.

Yet, only two coaches have beaten Nick Saban in the last few years or so -- Dabo Swinney and Greg Mahlzan. Sorry for any mispelling of the coaches' names, if so.

AndyC
01-02-2019, 05:48 PM

Your comments prove that it isn't so cut and dried as to which team is better than another.

An 8 team playoff requires a whopping 2 extra games to be played.

Isn't the bowl games just for entertainment now? I am sure that given a vote the players would rather go get their butts kicked by Alabama rather than play a meaningless game in front of a half-filled stadium for the benefit of ESPN.

PhantomOnTour
01-02-2019, 08:39 PM
Sugar Bowl score was a result of two things:
Georgia not wanting to be there and Texas arriving on the scene.
UGA felt as though they deserved a spot in the playoffs and the Sugar simply wasn't where they wanted to be.
Texas announced its arrival back on the scene...excellent coach who will recruit very well and a solid QB makes them a force to fear in the coming years.

As far as this season is concerned; Alabama and Clemson are head and shoulders above the rest of the country. We really only needed a two team playoff this year.

Fred
01-02-2019, 08:51 PM
Why is it whenever an SEC team loses a bowl game it is because they didn't want to be there? But when Florida routs Michigan it is because the SEC is just superior to the other conferences.

You can't have it both ways with me

PhantomOnTour
01-02-2019, 09:12 PM
Why is it whenever an SEC team loses a bowl game it is because they didn't want to be there? But when Florida routs Michigan it is because the SEC is just superior to the other conferences.

You can't have it both ways with me

When did I say that about the Florida v Michigan game?

ElKabong
01-02-2019, 10:48 PM

Georgia over Texas.

Thank god for people like you, you line my pockets and fill my heart with joy. May you all multiply in numbers by the day :cool:

I read where Georgia didn't allow more than 16 points in the first half to an SEC team in the two years Kirby smart has been there.... Yet Oklahoma and Texas had no problems doing so. Hmmmm.

Collected more money off SEC fans from lone star park today than I did on a large pick four payout (two tickets totaling over $1400). Many thanks!

ElKabong
01-02-2019, 10:53 PM
UGA felt as though they deserved a spot in the playoffs and the Sugar simply wasn't where they wanted to be.
Texas announced its arrival back on the scene...excellent coach who will recruit very well and a solid QB makes them a force to fear in the coming years.

As far as this season is concerned; Alabama and Clemson are head and shoulders above the rest of the country. We really only needed a two team playoff this year.

Disagree to an extent on UGA not wanting to be there. Texas was in the same spot in 2008 when we were robbed at a shot at the MNC and wound up going to the fiesta instead. Ohio state punched us in the mouth, Texas woke up and won the game. Same scenario last night, Georgia woke up and still weren't physically dominant. It is what it is.

Totally agree on your comment about Bama and Clemson. We're getting a true natty Monday night.

ElKabong
01-02-2019, 11:10 PM

SEC went 1 and 3 against the Big XII in bowls. HOOK 'EM![/QUOTE]

Pokie state beating Mizzou didn't surprise me, I really thought they might beat them badly. Turned out to be a close game. oSU may be headed the wrong way, which gives me no happiness. I'm a fan of Gundy, the guy can coach. Their recruiting has fallen a bit, not sure if he's as much into it now. I'm pulling for him tho, good,coach that sticks up for his players. oSU is lucky to have him.

Mizzou... Second year in a row getting beaten by a 6-6 big 12 team in a bowl. (last year they trash talked Texas before the bowl game on and off the field) Has to be disappointing. They've really hit the downhill slope since going to the sec. Winning the SEC East a couple of times early on, now this.

ElKabong
01-03-2019, 01:14 AM

How is Georgia "deserving" of going to the cfp? LSU bent them over and pulled their hair until they cried. It was a massacre. LSU is clearly superior to Georgia.

Not picking an arguement, just Being honest. They out played Alabama for almost three quarters but choked with the fake punt. It's nice they gave Alabama all they could handle, but in the end they couldn't close the deal. Again.

Georgia is good, and they're about to be damn good with their recruiting classes. But their offense needs an overhaul. My brother went to the game, said their offense was utterly under prepared. I guess they thought somehow we'd come out in the traditional big 12 style 3-3 defense. Texas made the obvious change to go 3-4 and play more physical. UGA wideouts kept running the same routes, never changing the reads until the second half. Our db's were all over their routes, wr's were rarely open in the first half

The throws Fromm was off on in the third quarter was likely due to halftime adjustments, which apparently they didn't practice leading up to kickoff. The wr's and the qb weren't on the same page until the fourth quarter. The coaches never gave them a chance. They thought they could push our front six (seven) but that extra LB allowed us to stuff their running game. Failing a running game they thought they could beat our db's, which wasn't going to happen either. Even with UT freshman starters and injuries in the secondary, Georgia receivers couldn't get separation until the game was essentially over.

Georgia... Poor coaching for this particular game. Over rated players (they'll be a legit top contender in no less than two years). To say the better team didn't win is wrong, IMO.

Dahoss2002
01-03-2019, 01:16 AM

Pokie state beating Mizzou didn't surprise me, I really thought they might beat them badly. Turned out to be a close game. oSU may be headed the wrong way, which gives me no happiness. I'm a fan of Gundy, the guy can coach. Their recruiting has fallen a bit, not sure if he's as much into it now. I'm pulling for him tho, good,coach that sticks up for his players. oSU is lucky to have him.

Mizzou... Second year in a row getting beaten by a 6-6 big 12 team in a bowl. (last year they trash talked Texas before the bowl game on and off the field) Has to be disappointing. They've really hit the downhill slope since going to the sec. Winning the SEC East a couple of times early on, now this.[/QUOTE]

Congrats on Big Texas win! Screw all the people that thought Georgia would roll. You have to lineup and play the game!! Herman has Horns on the right track EK!!!

ElKabong
01-03-2019, 01:39 AM

Texas hasn't arrived, unfortunately. They lose a lot of starters on defense and the o line. And Sam, as good as he was last night, was awful vs ou last month. Next year will be like this one. Start out slow, end strong (hopefully)

Georgia wasn't prepared (coaches) and to be honest with the extra LB we put on the field we become more physical than they are. Big difference between a 3-3 and 3-4 alignment. What you saw, in terms of physicality, was a different defense than what you'll see vs Oklahoma or West Virginia. It was out of necessity, but the result really isn't shocking given the extra LB (we have some good ones) on the field vs an offense with no imagination or a solid game plan.

ElKabong
01-03-2019, 01:58 AM
Congrats on Big Texas win! Screw all the people that thought Georgia would roll. You have to lineup and play the game!! Herman has Horns on the right track EK!!!

Thanks dahoss, it was nice to beat them after they took us 10-9 back in January 1984 in the cotton bowl. We were undefeated that year. We were up 9-3, they weren't moving the ball at all. They punt, our normal returner hurt his hand so Craig Curry was in to return the punt. Fumbles. Next play or two, their qb runs it in on a beautiful option. I was there, froze our butts off.

The year before, we beat Alabama in the cotton bowl. Charlie Brewer ran a qb draw 30 yards to win the game. He was so slow you could time him with a sun dial. He won the bowl game mvp, very nice guy. Fast forward 35 years later. His son is the qb for Baylor, leads them to an unlikely bowl season, beats Vandy on a last minute drive. Just like his dad he wins the bowl game mvp trophy.

Stuff like that makes football fun. At least for me.

LSU plays in Austin in week two next season. Trust me, you'll beat us by two TDs plus. If so, hope you guys go all the way. And congrats on beating UCF !

Someday Silent
01-03-2019, 02:56 AM
Thanks but I was also dead wrong in the Sugar Bowl.

Texas was a deserving winner, for sure.

You still made a better pick than I, so thumbs up either way. :)

reckless
01-03-2019, 05:14 AM
Thank god for people like you, you line my pockets and fill my heart with joy. May you all multiply in numbers by the day :cool:

I read where Georgia didn't allow more than 16 points in the first half to an SEC team in the two years Kirby smart has been there.... Yet Oklahoma and Texas had no problems doing so. Hmmmm.

Collected more money off SEC fans from lone star park today than I did on a large pick four payout (two tickets totaling over $1400). Many thanks!

Glad you made a killing at the expense of us idiots ...

I also hope all of your winnings can buy you some class and good cheer.

Fred
01-03-2019, 11:25 AM
When did I say that about the Florida v Michigan game?

You didn't have to

cj
01-03-2019, 11:30 AM
All this Texas talk reminds me that Maryland beat the Horns two years on the trot. :)

ElKabong
01-03-2019, 03:33 PM
All this Texas talk reminds me that Maryland beat the Horns two years on the trot. :)

Hey the better team won, and I congratulated you. Well deserved :)

I must say, when we beat Maryland in El Paso forty years ago 42-0, your fans there were equally as eager to congratulate.... wishing the Turtles well going forth.

cj
01-03-2019, 04:18 PM
Hey the better team won, and I congratulated you. Well deserved :)

I must say, when we beat Maryland in El Paso forty years ago 42-0, your fans there were equally as eager to congratulate.... wishing the Turtles well going forth.

Just teasing with ya, was certainly hoping Texas would win the Sugar Bowl and they dominated.

Valuist
01-03-2019, 05:35 PM
I bet Clemson +6 as soon as the line came out. We won't see it at 6 again.

ronsmac
01-05-2019, 11:31 AM
Entertainment based?

So, you don't give a hoot about the players (just the fans?) that are playing for peanuts with millions on the line for a number of them if they get hurt? (Can't wait for a QB on a 16 seed that is a potential draft pick sitting out the 1st round so he doesn't get hurt; cause it will happen. Likely would have happened this year with Will Grier sitting out for West Virginia on the road at Alabama.)

Fans shouldn't mean a damn thing for determining who the best team is in any given year.

Every year in college football going back to the 70s, there have been 1 to 3 dominant teams in any given year. This year we have 2 that are head and shoulders above the rest and remain as the only undefeated teams in all the land. They play on Monday for the title; and deservedly so.

If you can't win your regional/conference championship, you haven't earned the right to play for a national championship.
Man if we cared so much about the players we wouldn't even be playing football.

ultracapper
01-07-2019, 06:30 PM
Clemson +190

Man, that's a fair price. 2/1!!! Almost.

Lemon Drop Husker
01-07-2019, 07:01 PM
Bama - 5.5
Under 57

Nick Saban looking to enter the rarefied air as being the first FBS College Football coach to win 7 National Championships.

Not all that surprising, but he is currently tied with legendary 'Bama coach Bear Bryant and Fielding Yost with 6.

A win tonight, and he'll likely take over the helm as the recognized greatest college football coach of all time (if he hasn't achieved that 'title' already).

sammy the sage
01-07-2019, 07:52 PM
I expect Bama to cruise to 13-17 pt victory...Alabama's offense is VERY superior to Clemson offense...the defenses are pretty much even to giving clemson a slight edge...but they will be missing a future nfl lineman...and finally...Saban has just flat evolved to NEW/higher level as a head coach...in the last 18 months...just on the play calling going on...much less the superior talent...

I can't stand the Tide...but...laid the points and loaded up on them...we'll see...that's why it's called gambling...do like my chances tho...

Small bet on the under a well...

Figure...34 to 17...seems about right...:coffee::popcorn:

Lemon Drop Husker
01-07-2019, 08:39 PM
Bama - 5.5
Under 57

Nick Saban looking to enter the rarefied air as being the first FBS College Football coach to win 7 National Championships.

Not all that surprising, but he is currently tied with legendary 'Bama coach Bear Bryant and Fielding Yost with 6.

A win tonight, and he'll likely take over the helm as the recognized greatest college football coach of all time (if he hasn't achieved that 'title' already).

:pound:

Over/Under just adjusted to 157

sammy the sage
01-07-2019, 09:35 PM
I expect Bama to cruise to 13-17 pt victory...Alabama's offense is VERY superior to Clemson offense...the defenses are pretty much even to giving clemson a slight edge...but they will be missing a future nfl lineman...and finally...Saban has just flat evolved to NEW/higher level as a head coach...in the last 18 months...just on the play calling going on...much less the superior talent...

I can't stand the Tide...but...laid the points and loaded up on them...we'll see...that's why it's called gambling...do like my chances tho...

Small bet on the under a well...

Figure...34 to 17...seems about right...:coffee::popcorn:

Well that's WHAT happens when you get cocky....you get your head handed to you....:rip:

ultracapper
01-07-2019, 11:24 PM
WOW!!

Nobody saw this coming. WOW!!

PhantomOnTour
01-07-2019, 11:43 PM
Never thought I'd see a Saban team with all that talent get totally housed.
Outplayed & outcoached by a wide margin

Dahoss2002
01-08-2019, 02:27 AM
Never thought I'd see a Saban team with all that talent get totally housed.
Outplayed & outcoached by a wide margin

I was glad to see it happen. I don't root for Bama when they play LSU or any other time. Great game Clemson!!

Someday Silent
01-09-2019, 11:07 PM
Monday night's game was very gratifying in many ways. I have ties to Clemson and I'm happy to see the team enjoy such success on a national stage.

I thought that the Tigers would win but I sure didn't expect the beating they gave the Crimson Tide. Did Saban and the players just get overly confident? Or is Clemson now a new powerhouse? I'm not sure either way, but during the last quarter Nick Saban looked as though he'd made a Faustian bargain that horribly backfired on him.

ultracapper
01-09-2019, 11:22 PM
Oklahoma stuck it to them in the 2nd half also. The last 6 quarters have been rather ordinary, if even that good.