PDA

View Full Version : Will Rather's Conections Go to Jail?

JustMissed
09-18-2004, 09:24 AM
snipped from a blogger:

"Sec. 912
United States Code, Title 18, Section 912:

Whoever falsely assumes or pretends to be an officer or employee acting under the authority of the United States or any department, agency or officer thereof, and acts as such, or in such pretended character demands or obtains any money, paper, document, or thing of value, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both
So... does forging a document in the guise of a Texas Air National Guard officer with the intent of obtaining a thing of value (to wit, the Presidency) count as a violation of this section of the U.S. Code?"

Sometimes I wish I knew more about the Law.

Just wondering if Dan Rather's connections may serve any Federal jail time?

Rather claims they have been working on the story for 5 years so the conspiracy probably goes pretty deep within the Dem party.

I sent John Ascroft an email but have not heard back from him yet.

I had lost my confidence in the main stream news outlets a long time ago. Seems like everywhere you turn they are just making up stories about people. Like that Jason Blair and now Dan Rather with the forgeries.

Seems like the only place to get fair and balanced reporting is from FOX news, bloggers and the good folks at the PA Board.

JM

Tom
09-18-2004, 10:24 AM
If it can be proved that CBS/Rather have knowledge that the docs are forged, I would guess they could be is serious trouble -falsifying governement/militart records and attempting to influence a federal election could result in a landmark court case.
My fingers are crossed. Sink these liars.

JustMissed
09-18-2004, 11:49 AM
"Saturday, Sept. 18, 2004 10:55 a.m. EDT
Texas U.S. Atty Mum on Plans to Probe Rathergate

A spokesman for U.S. Attorney Richard B. Roper, whose jurisdiction covers the Northern District of Texas, said Friday that she couldn't comment on whether Roper's office was planning to probe the alleged forgery of President Bush's military records, which were aired by CBS's "60 Minutes" last week.

"We would never confirm or deny an investigation," Roper's spokeswoman, Kathy Colvin, told NewsMax. Colvin suggested the decision to initiate a probe would more likely come from the Justice Department.

"You might want to touch base with them," she advised.
The forged records were faxed to CBS from an Abilene, Texas Kinkos, which Colvin confirmed is within the jurisdiction of Roper's office.

Calls on Friday to the Justice Department, as well as the office of Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott, were not returned.

Forging military documents is a federal felony.

The suspect documents, faxed to CBS within the last few weeks, have been called forgeries by dozens of experts who have reviewed them. At least one of CBS's own document authenticators said Thursday she tried to warn "60 Minutes" producers that they were fakes.

Bob Kohn, author of "Journalistic Fraud: How The New York Times Distorts the News and Why It Can No Longer Be Trusted," suggested Thursday that the forgery scandal may have legal ramifications for "60 Minutes" anchorman Dan Rather.

"He's got a legal problem," Kohn told MSNBC's "Scarborough Country."

"If he basically goes out and says that these are forged documents . . . [they've] got to expose [the source]. That guy can turn on Dan Rather, the producers, and everybody at CBS."

If a criminal investigation were launched, said Kohn, "then you have got to watch out for witness tampering and obstruction of justice, the same thing they got [going] after Martha Stewart."

Editor's note:

Bernard Goldberg’s best seller "Arrogance" exposes the media – get it FREE – Click Here Now"

JM

It is so said that Walter Cronkites news show has come to this.

superfecta
09-19-2004, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by Tom
If it can be proved that CBS/Rather have knowledge that the docs are forged, I would guess they could be is serious trouble -falsifying governement/militart records and attempting to influence a federal election could result in a landmark court case.
My fingers are crossed. Sink these liars. If the GOP goverment even tried to do this (even if they had tape of Rather saying "Lets fake this and git that boy")they would be accused of abuse of power.Its a no win situation.

JustRalph
09-19-2004, 02:07 AM
there has been speculation that Rather's producer may need a lawyer. she may be guilty of conspiracy to produce the documents according to some things I have read. One article is even titled " Does Mapes Need a Lawyer" it should be fun to see how it plays out.........maybe cleland will find his ass on the hot plate...........that would be funny.........

ElKabong
09-19-2004, 02:22 AM
In the end, I just can't see GWB pushing this thru. Nixon, yes. Clinton, yes. Not GWB tho.

He'll allow the heat to rise (and make some people squirm before the election), but in the end I doubt anyone will do time.

Mary Mapes is a different story. I can definitely see a cBS person held accountable in the end.

Hope I'm wrong. If certain folks get away with this crap, what's to stop idiots from repeating this in the future? People need to do some time if they're proven guilty on this.