PDA

View Full Version : Jocks may walk out at Mnr

cj
09-18-2004, 06:33 AM
http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=24359

CryingForTheHorses
09-18-2004, 12:10 PM
IMO would be a dumb move on the jock's part,Tons of riders looking to ride there.A threat to management just might clea out the jocks rooom and new moved in. A racetrack cannot be held hostage when the rules are clearly specified.Workmans comp on the trainers part along with the guild and the jocks own insurance. All these jocks should know what the state does and doesnt cover.I am very sorry for Gary but he did know the rules going into this. He rode and took his chances, Knowing full well something like this could happen.What about the hundreds of ppl we never hear of and getting the same treatment as Gary.This is a profession like any other sport with the risk for injury, even death.Even if they do boycott, Others not in the guild will ride fully knowing the rules.

Buddha
09-19-2004, 12:35 AM
Yea, I think that is was something that was blown out of proportion. I don't know if they would have actually tried to cancel the races or not. According to MNR officials that was the first they had heard about it, but I had heard about it on the backside early in the morning.

If there are many jocks that are looking to come to MNR why arent they already coming in? There is always more room at a track for competent riders.

Equineer
09-19-2004, 08:54 AM
McSchell_Racing,

I read another post by you mentioning workmans compensation, and also some links by JR that showed how shockingly expensive this gets.

As a trainer, maybe you can help me understand how this works, cause it seems funny.

The tracks make all payments to the jockeys directly out of horse-owner accounts. That would suggest that owners are the employers of the jockeys, but the relationship between owners and jockeys sure seems, at best, like an independent contracting relationship.

It is the tracks that license jockeys and provide their working facilities. Moreover, trainers compete for jockey services through the jockey agents in a way that suggests an independent contracting relationship between jockeys and trainers. Also, the owner-trainer relationship is clearly an independent contracting relationship.

So... why don't tracks like MNR, making millions off slots, deal with this issue properly since the track seems to be the closest thing to the employer of jockeys? Don't the tracks have the most to do with how safe or dangerous their facilities are for the jockeys? Shouldn't it really be the tracks' duty to negotiate with jockeys and pay for workmans comp?

Buddha
09-19-2004, 10:41 AM
http://www.reviewonline.com/news/story/0918202004_new03nostrikemount.asp

there is another little article from a small local newspaper

CryingForTheHorses
09-19-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Equineer
McSchell_Racing,

I read another post by you mentioning workmans compensation, and also some links by JR that showed how shockingly expensive this gets.

As a trainer, maybe you can help me understand how this works, cause it seems funny.

The tracks make all payments to the jockeys directly out of horse-owner accounts. That would suggest that owners are the employers of the jockeys, but the relationship between owners and jockeys sure seems, at best, like an independent contracting relationship.

It is the tracks that license jockeys and provide their working facilities. Moreover, trainers compete for jockey services through the jockey agents in a way that suggests an independent contracting relationship between jockeys and trainers. Also, the owner-trainer relationship is clearly an independent contracting relationship.

So... why don't tracks like MNR, making millions off slots, deal with this issue properly since the track seems to be the closest thing to the employer of jockeys? Don't the tracks have the most to do with how safe or dangerous their facilities are for the jockeys? Shouldn't it really be the tracks' duty to negotiate with jockeys and pay for workmans comp?

You make a very good point.

As a trainer,I have to stay hidden because of the price of workmans comp for my wife and I.I have my horse with a trainer and pay him a higher percentage rather then a day rate and do all the work myself. Its very unfair to a small guy tring to make a name.I never really understood why the track doesnt cover the jocks or the people that work with the horses.The HBPA takes 1% of my purses...For what???. I would gladly put this into a fund for horsemans workmans comp.From what I have read about workmans comp and independent contractors..Why isnt a trainer considered a independent contractor?.Why cant Gary sue if he and the track were indendent contractors?.The workmans comp issue is way out of hand and is also a reason small bussiness is declining.I would love to see some other guy come in and compete with workmans comp.