PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Big Game Choker?

sq764
09-17-2004, 05:44 PM
After watching the Ryder Cup, I can't help but think that Phil Mickelson is one of the all-time chokers when the money is on the line.... Is he??

chickenhead
09-17-2004, 05:55 PM
http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/readers/chokes.html

cj
09-17-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by sq764
After watching the Ryder Cup, I can't help but think that Phil Mickelson is one of the all-time chokers when the money is on the line.... Is he??

Not after The Masters.

cj
09-17-2004, 06:44 PM
If Phil is on the list, then the Braves should be the Team Captain of chokers. They are one Justice homer from being the Bills X 2!

sq764
09-17-2004, 06:44 PM
even a blind squirrel finds a nut..

Let me ask you CJ, if the Sox won the World Series this year, would that erase every instance of choking?

cj
09-17-2004, 06:47 PM
So, where are the Braves? They are the BIGGEST chokers in my lifetime.

betchatoo
09-17-2004, 06:50 PM
I hate to say it cause I bleed Cubby blue, but my Chicago Cubs up 3-1 in the NL Championship series with the final 2 games at home and Prior and Wood pitching g..a..s..p..

Dan Montilion
09-17-2004, 07:03 PM
The French?

Dan Montilion

chickenhead
09-17-2004, 07:53 PM
I would put Chris Webber high on any choker list.....that guy is the WORST when it comes right down to it.....the WORST.

Tee
09-18-2004, 12:20 AM
JMHO,

Phil Mickelson made a very poor decision in switching his equipment this late in the year, especially with the Ryder Cup on the line.

chickenhead
09-18-2004, 12:24 AM
yeah, but it sure paid well to make that change.

sq764
09-18-2004, 12:31 AM
It was funny earlier last year to hear Phil say that Tiger had inferior equipment..This was after Tiger won like 900 majors and he had zero..

JustRalph
09-18-2004, 12:35 AM
It was funny earlier last year to hear Phil say that Tiger had inferior equipment..This was after Tiger won like 900 majors and he had zero..

Somebody caught Jack Nicklaus out in the city here yesterday (he is from Columbus) and asked him what he thought of Tiger's play this year. It was a local Tv station. He said that if Tiger doesn't turn it around next year, he may not have a shot at beating Jack's record for majors. He also said he hopes he does turn it around because he has been looking forward to watching him play, and "he is letting me down"

I thought this might make the national sports news....but so far....nothing.........

chickenhead
09-18-2004, 12:41 AM
anyone here ever been to a pro golf match as a spectator?

Tiger should be playing in SF next year at a tourney....thought it might be fun to go check it out, do they charge to get in normally? It seems like it might be kind of, uh, boring to watch live?.....but I guess if I get the chance I might go once just so I can say I watched 'em, saw Tiger etc..

sq764
09-18-2004, 12:45 AM
My wife and I were in Williamsburg, VA one Summer and they play at Kingsmill.. We didn't go, but I thought it was around $35-40 per ticket to go to the final round..

Tee
09-18-2004, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by chickenhead
yeah, but it sure paid well to make that change.

That's pretty much the bottom line nowadays:D

Tee
09-18-2004, 01:02 AM

Tiger should be playing in SF next year at a tourney....thought it might be fun to go check it out, do they charge to get in normally? It seems like it might be kind of, uh, boring to watch live?.....but I guess if I get the chance I might go once just so I can say I watched 'em, saw Tiger etc..

Here's a link that might help u out.

http://www.golfweb.com/tournaments/schedules/r

Select a tournament & then u will be able to click on tickets in the left hand column. That will give ya a ballpark figure on what costs might be.

JustRalph
09-18-2004, 01:26 AM

Here in Columbus they have a tournament at Muirfield Village Golf Club on Memorial Day Weekend. It is called "the memorial" Jack Nicklaus Hosts it. He designed the course. The info below is "face value" there is no law against scalping tickets in Ohio. If you are not on the list, you might pay $200 for a day if Tiger is in the hunt on the last two days. I used to work the tournament as a cop. It is fun........for about a day.........

http://www.thememorialtournament.com/site.htm

From the Website for the tournament:

Patron Badges
Cost: $155.00 _______________________________
Grounds admission for all seven days

3-Day Grounds Ticket
Cost: $30.00 _(Admission to grounds only for Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday) ________________________________
Monday & Tuesday: Practice Rounds, Morgan Stanley Invitational
Wednesday: Practice Rounds, Honoree Ceremony and Golf Clinic

PATRON PACKAGES

Gold Patron ___________Cost: $2,000.00 ___Includes: 4 Clubhouse Badges ___10 Patron Badges
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Muirfield Patron _____Cost: $3,400.00 ___Includes: 6 Clubhouse Badges ___20 Patron Badges
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Memorial Patron ____Cost: $7,500.00 ___Includes: 20 Clubhouse Badges __40 Patron Badges
____
__________________________________________________ _______
Clubhouse Badges are good for admission to grounds and clubhouse for all seven days.
Patron Badges are good for admission to grounds ONLY for all seven days.
FREE PARKING FOR ALL

THE MEMORIAL TOURNAMENT
5750 Memorial Drive
DUBLIN, OH 43017 _
(614) 889-6700

BetHorses!
09-18-2004, 11:32 AM
After this years US Open I vote for Lindsey Davenport
And don't say she had a hurt leg it was her throat baby
Big Choke up 3-0 in 3rd set.... Favorite to Win out the final 4

sq764
09-18-2004, 11:43 AM
I don't think a choker in one event or match is comparable to years of choking..

Losing a final when you're up 3-0 is bad, but losing 4 superbowls is not comparable...

BetHorses!
09-18-2004, 11:50 AM
I don't think a choker in one event or match is comparable to years of choking..

Losing a final when you're up 3-0 is bad, but losing 4 superbowls is not comparable...

Sq
I agree with you about not comparing one event to years of choking

but this one event was bad. She had an unbelievable win streak going a chance to win the open granted she got hurt but she was hurt before the 3rd set, and was up 3-0 and then the hands came to the throat

andicap
09-18-2004, 05:35 PM
The Bills only choked in one Super Bowl, against the Giants.

In the other three, the other teams were much much better.

The Braves have to be the biggest ones. All those division titles and only 1 ring?

The Braves are the most consistent chokers.

The Cubs are the most fantastic -- on a one-off basis. (well, two-off, in 1984 and 2003 they were well ahead and blew it. And 1969. So they're due for another choke in about 2019).

Hey what about the Minn. Vikings. Four Super Bowls no rings? And all those division titles under Denny Green and no trips to the SB.