PDA

View Full Version : Old Book

John
04-26-2001, 02:47 PM
Hi Guys,
I am in to a study on who has the BEST speed figures. Its clear to the mind that it is not BRISSnet, not BEYERS. Not FortuneHunter and TruForm.ect. Then who.

I am going back to days of no Beyer's and no Briss. numbers.A verison of Speed figures started way back 1n 1965 when published by a school Teacher named Charles Romanelli had written some astute advice on speed. The Author later 1989 published a book " How to make money in one day at the track " The book was written for the Recretional racegoers and its main task is to pick the fastest horse thru the speed ratings and the track variants as published in the Daily racing form [ DRF ]

That my Friends is the book I am looking for or any written by Charles Romanelli. I have talked with
[ GBC ] Gamblers book club and they can not help. Anyone who knows where I can get His works. I will appreciate and send or post the results of my study

Thanks for reading this and GRTY[ Good racing to you ]

GR1@HTR
04-26-2001, 03:23 PM
Click here...

http://www.alibris.com/search/detail.cfm?chunk=25&qauth=Charles%20Romanelli&S=R&bid=3ae3c313147&page=1&matches=9&qsort=

www.alibris.com has about 5 or so of them...

GR1@HTR
04-26-2001, 03:25 PM
Didn't sportstat do a study a while back that showed the Rag Sheet as #1 speed fig by a good couple percentile?

John
04-26-2001, 04:04 PM
Thanks GRI, I will order from Alibris.

I think Jim Bayle at Sportstat did do a research on speed figures. But, the game has changed since then.

Tom
04-26-2001, 09:43 PM
Seems I remember the speed figure study Jim Bale did showed DRF SR+TV as good or better than any.
But no matter whose are best, they are worthless unless YOU use them correctly. They only tell you what a horse DID, not what he will DO.
I think they all are probably interchangeable to a large degree. The thing I like the best about the good ole DRF SR is that is always based on a given. Everyone else is splitting variants, projecting, adjusting to fit
a model, or some other voodoo. DRF SR is always constant, and if I make an adjustment to it. I know why and how much, and besides, if everyone else is not using it, it has more value. Dave Shwartz porvides a list of average variants by track and this a useful tool. Tom Brohamer dealt with how to handle the DRF variants
very nicley in both his books-Modern Pace Handicapping and Modern Pace Handicapping Revised.
Typically, I use Beyer numbers to get a variant on high class races, but I usually use DRF SR+TV on tracks like Penn, Mnr, FL, Evd, etc.
Tom

Larry Hamilton
04-26-2001, 10:19 PM
I have that book, what's your question.

Slider
04-26-2001, 10:24 PM
ITS has been bragging about how good their figures are on their website, itsdata.com.
I have not checked them out but you can give them a look. My favorite speed figures are the Querin style that Brohamer makes. I like how they relate to pace.
Weak on shippers though.