PDA

View Full Version : Sun King

the little guy
09-16-2004, 02:31 PM
Other than Proud Accolade, the 2YO that impressed me the most at Saratoga was fourth place finisher Sun King. For those of you that don't remember him, he ran fourth in his debut on Traver's Day, after trailing into the stretch. On a track that was playing heavily towards inside speed, especially early in the card, Sun King was six to eight lengths behind the second to last horse on the turn. He angled to the far outside once the hit the stretch, Day hit him right handed and he ducked in six paths or so, from there he was hard to straighten out in traffic, and finally Day swung him to the outside again where he leveled off and was flying late to finish fourth. He also galloped out very strongly past the wire.

He returns in Friday's 6th race, a loaded maiden race, at one mile. The field includes Flagstaff, coming off a bad ride second at 3-5, Patriot Act who finished a neck behind Flagstaff in his debut, as well as Sea Heather who ran sneaky good in his debut for Shug. There is also a very well bred firster for Frankel in the race. This could prove to be a decisive maiden race, and a real test for Sun King, who I think will be a major force, if not this year, then next year.

OTM Al
09-16-2004, 03:43 PM
He doesn't look too bad, but the four he's dead in the middle of look a lot better, which of course would be good for your wallet if he steps it up a notch. Be careful though. That late charge doesn't look quite that impressive on paper. DRF has him 9th about 12 back on the stretch call and 4th still 9 back at the line. Good point is he did make up some ground after a bad break, but it does look like he was passing tired rivals rather than making a big move. And looking good past the wire and $2 gets you a train ride in New York City but little else. I would be sure to use him underneath in exotics as he does look better than a lot of the inside horses, but I don't think I'd go as far as putting him up for win just yet.

Its still hard to figure where 2yos are going. I don't start looking for my Derby hopefuls for another couple months. Too many burn out too early and others just haven't hit a competitive level of maturity yet.

the little guy
09-16-2004, 04:30 PM
I've watched the head on four or five times and I know what I saw. This is an extraordinarily talented colt who raced very impressively AGAINST A VERY STRONG BIAS. The combination of the visuals and the bias is what brought me to my conclusion. I am normally not a big fan of plodders, but I won't be at all surprised if this one has a little more speed tomorrow.

As for Derby horses, I really don't care, but in Sun King's case I believe he's a future star ( if he stays sound ).

keilan
09-17-2004, 12:34 AM
I watched the replay at NYRA on RaceReplays.com and didn’t have the benefit of the head on shot that you spoke to.

Flagstaff looks to be the horse to beat on paper but if what you say is true with regards to Sun King then I think he becomes an excellent play. Flagstaff and Sun King will be keyed to a few others Datsyuk, Sir Halory and Sea Heather in the exotics.

Thanks for the heads-up :)

WALLENDA
09-17-2004, 04:50 AM
Flagstaff, looks very tough in here. Chavez just has to give him a clean trip. The Belmont track should work to his advantage.

cj
09-17-2004, 02:06 PM
I'm going to lean towards the 10, Datsyuk.

Should love the distance, has my top last out figure in the race, and closed nicely despite a slow pace. At 8-1 ML, he's a nice bet in my opinion.

cj
09-17-2004, 03:32 PM
Damn little guy,

How many people did you tell? 2-1 post time fave!

the little guy
09-17-2004, 03:51 PM
Well, I did make several speeches about him at the seminars, but I don't have THAT big an ego that I think I affect the odds. I think a lot of people saw the kind of horse he was in his debut.

When I spoke to Nick about him the last weekend at Saratoga he felt he could go to the Champagne or Breeder's Futurity ( at Keeneland ) assuming all things went well when he returned.

keilan
09-17-2004, 03:52 PM
Nice call Little Guy :)

OTM Al
09-17-2004, 04:10 PM
Agreed. Very good call. Too bad so many others liked him so much too. Looks as if he got out front the other 3 contenders early and the lot of them went around all the also rans that started on the inside. Was kind of interested in seeing what the 7 would do (the firster) but he evidently scratched out

the little guy
09-17-2004, 07:31 PM
He got a 94 Beyer fig, not bad for a second time starting 2YO going a mile.

Derek2U
09-17-2004, 07:36 PM
YES thanks to your post, which I read last night, I saw what you
posted. I doubt I would have noticed that --- now that's accurate
information. After you posted that you reviewed that race over
and over I got very keen. (Sir Halory ducked him LOL) .. anyways,
I LOVE $6.30 sure things & I was convinced, AFTER YOUR POST,
that he was live. ty

the little guy
10-07-2004, 07:46 PM
Any problem with him winning the Champagne Saturday?

Bubbles
10-07-2004, 08:18 PM
Just one:

Afleet Alex.

the little guy
10-07-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Bubbles
Just one:

Afleet Alex. I'm sure he'll be one of many upset when Sun King blows by.

Tee
10-07-2004, 08:32 PM
I think Afleet Alex will stretch out just fine. His sire wasn't too bad going long & his dam should add stamina. Full brother while no killer isn't all that bad.

Wallstreet Scandal was hemmed in from his rail post last out for most of the trip, waited on horses turning for home, when he got out Park Avenue Ball had the jump on him.

Proud Accolade must work out a trip, looks to have some ability.

Sun King may turn out to be the one, but this is a prep race & I will treat it as such for bigger events down the road. Meaning he can draw off by 10 & I will have no problem - I won't be wagering.

KirisClown
10-08-2004, 03:10 AM
PROUD ACCOLADE looks pretty tough, the acceleration he showed in the stretch of his 2 wins was very impressive.

Only question is the stretch out... If he handles it, I think he wins...

Suff
10-08-2004, 06:14 PM
Sun King can run and he was one of a handfull of Promising 2YO's i was lucky enough to see race at Saratoga this year. The one that I left talking about was Galloping Grocer. State Bred or not. He was just lights out impressive to me. Bred for Routes , he draws off by 10 going 5 furlongs, Just a 1/2 click off the track record. He won next by 12? 8? Admittetly the Beyer was low. 74? But still. Special Animal. I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to see him in open company. Plus he has a nice story behind him. With his owner being a Grocer and passing away after he bought him and named him. A lung infection took him out the Champagne, but I'm crossing my Fingers he gets in the sleepy Hollow and somehow makes the breeders cup.

Speaking of the Champagne... ESPN classic had a well timed show on last night. It was sort of like the WIRE to WIRE of its day. Steve Cauthen was offered the Mount on Spectacular Bid in the Champagne and Lenny goodman who was Cauthens agent turned it down... Then when BID won... Lennny Called back and said Cauthen will take FIRST CALL on him for the remaning races of his Career. But the trainer said NO WAY! You walked you get nothing. Thats exactly when Cuathen went on his 0 for 100 Streak. It was a good show. They had a couple pf interviews with Jean Crouget. I knew he road BIG RED, but I never knew he road Riva Ridge as well.
Great show on the Chamagne... Alydar, Affirmed, Foolish Pleasure, Honest Pleasure, Spectacular Bid. If I heard them right, they've been running the Champagne scince 1867. One of the most Historic and storied races of all time.

keilan
10-09-2004, 10:15 AM
The race looks to go quick early, I don’t expect anyone to steal it as many of these haven’t yet learnt how to rate. On paper Tee has identified the main contenders -- I fully expect the winner to come from one of those.

Afleet Alex is the only horse in the field that can run gate-to-wire and win here but I don’t like that scenario because the pace may well put him over-the-top late.

Proud Accolade – should come running from the gate and try and get a good stalking right behind the front runners and then get first run on Sun King.

Sun King should get something to run at but I don’t like to key horses that have to get the great trip to win. He should start his run just past the ¾ pole and start to pick off horse rather easily. The questions are – has the pace compromised the front-runners enough and does he have another gear that he will show in a prep race.

Wallstreet Scandal and One Fein Dad are eligible to run late and get a small piece in the exotics.

The main contenders can all get the distance – it’s a question of pace and race readiness. Proud Accolade is the horse I’m leaning towards, if I get some odds, he will be my key otherwise I’ll watch.