PDA

View Full Version : Tivo/ DVR

TriSuper
09-14-2004, 02:40 PM
How many of you use TIVO or a DVR/PVR to record racing broadcasts?

I have the DishNetwork and am considering upgrading to a DVR and would like to ask for any opinions and/or recommendations on what to look for and buy.

Thanks.

Trisuper

Thoroughbred Racing News (http://attheraces.blogspot.com/)

TriSuper
09-14-2004, 02:43 PM
Sorry for the double post. Can a moderator correct this please.

JustRalph
09-14-2004, 04:56 PM
I have Dishnetwork and have been doing this for over 2 years. It is great. But, if you have never owned one before, be forewarned that this will change the way you watch TV forever. Sometimes Dish runs a special on two DVR's at a time. I suggest this. Once your wife gets a hold of one, there won't be any racing recording going thru hers.

I have one in my racing office and on the big screen in the family room. Mine has "news, Horse Racing-Nascar-occasional movie from HBO and orange county chopper etc" the family room DVR has "oprah and her son Dr. Phil-selected girlie sitcoms (Hope and Faith?) Survivor-The amazing race (those two I actually like) and whatever the wife wants. It works out real nice with two. You can't beat it for watching TVG. You can backup and re-watch a race while the stewards are playing rock paper scissors and you can also walk away while the innane conversation is on and guarantee that you don't miss the race. you walk back into the room and back it up on the fly

I think it is cheaper and easier to use than Tivo.

Tom
09-14-2004, 08:22 PM
I have a DVR and it has cahnged the way I watch TV, like JR says.
It is neat to be able to watch things on my terms, and be able to back up and replay, slow down the video to watch something closely, or to pause a frame. Or to not forget to watch somehing - just pre-set it up and forget it. For race watching, the slow-mo option is great. Although watching FL replays, you are not always sure if you are in normal mode of slo-mo!

;)

Figman
09-14-2004, 09:33 PM
Tom,
Take that back....neither TOP SHOTER nor that 2 yr. old Carribean *** run in slo motion!

ceejay
10-09-2004, 09:26 PM
I'm looking at TIVO myself. Anyone have any feedback on size? I'm thinking about an 80-hour box and a 140-hour box, or maybe a Humax 250-hour box?

Tom
10-10-2004, 11:13 AM
Why would anyone want to be 250 hours behind in watching TV?:D :confused: :D

JimG
10-10-2004, 03:56 PM
Like JR and Tom, O wholeheartedly endorse the DVR. I have DirecTV and a DVR and record racing quite a bit, along with other stuff. Best invention since the VCR.

I tend to watch TIVO, not television anymore.

Jim

Dave Schwartz
10-10-2004, 04:42 PM
I have a question for you Tivo guys.

We are considering getting it. Is there a way to output to VHS?

Dave

JimG
10-10-2004, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Dave Schwartz
I have a question for you Tivo guys.

We are considering getting it. Is there a way to output to VHS?

Dave

Most definitely.

Jim

Dave Schwartz
10-10-2004, 06:34 PM
Okay, now I am getting interested.

1. I have digital cable. How many channels can you record at once?

2. How many channels can you record while watching a different channel?

3. Which of the Tivo-like devices would you suggest buying?

4. How much is the monthly charge? IS there an enrollment fee?

Thanks for taking the time to asnwer.

Dave

IRISHLADSTABLE
10-10-2004, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Tom
I have a DVR and it has cahnged the way I watch TV, like JR says.
It is neat to be able to watch things on my terms, and be able to back up and replay, slow down the video to watch something closely, or to pause a frame. Or to not forget to watch somehing - just pre-set it up and forget it. For race watching, the slow-mo option is great. Although watching FL replays, you are not always sure if you are in normal mode of slo-mo!

;)

Tom,

Cant tell the difference between the slow mode or normal mode

Sounds like the horse's i used to bet at Turf Paradise

Jimmy

Tom
10-10-2004, 06:57 PM
Okay, now I am getting interested.

1. I have digital cable. How many channels can you record at once? Two (DVR)

2. How many channels can you record while watching a different channel? One. Tape one, watch another.(DVR)

3. Which of the Tivo-like devices would you suggest buying?
Mine is provided by Time Warner.

4. How much is the monthly charge? IS there an enrollment fee?$5.XX a month. You can now get two machines for an extra fee.

Thanks for taking the time to asnwer.

Dave

JimG
10-10-2004, 07:14 PM
Dave,

Need clarification..

Are you contemplating switching from Digital Cable to DirecTV or keeping Digital cable and buying a standalone Tivo reciever ?

The reason I ask is because I have heard that Tivo is on shaky ground. If it folds I would expect DirecTV to replace it with something comparable ASAP as it is built into the receiver.

Jim

Dave Schwartz
10-10-2004, 07:26 PM
Jim,

We would use it with our cable setup.

Tell me more about "shaky ground."

Dave

JimG
10-10-2004, 08:06 PM
Jim,

Dave

The news article is no longer available but I read about it on this board:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=30955&highlight=tivo

JustRalph
10-10-2004, 10:17 PM
Jim,

Dave

Dave

If you want to retain your cable.......you may find that your local cable company offers a better solution than tivo. they are all jumping on the bandwagon and adapting DVR's to their services. Check with the cable company...........

andicap
10-10-2004, 11:18 PM
I don't think TiVo is on shaky ground anymore -- this is an industry I used to cover a bit.

If it can't get to profitability due to cable competition, etc., it will be sold, etc. Still a very very vaulable brand name.

Here's my thoughts on cable DVR vs. TiVo/Dish.

1. I've never used the Dishplayer DVR system so no opinion on how good it is. Most people tell me it is not nearly as good as TiVo, but also agree it is probably easier to set up. TiVO is a bitch to set up and tweak if you are not that sophisticated in dealing with home electronic set ups. (I'm somewhere in the middle.)

2. True, cable has no upfront cost and TiVo does, BUT TiVo offers a $200 lifetime subscription (well, liifetime of YOUR box -- you have to pay a new "lifetime" fee if you upgrade the box. Why I am stuck with an old 30-hour TiVo.)

So assume you pay TiVo -- hardware prices are declining. Pay about $300 or so for the box and "lifetime" fee for a basic box -- 40 hours, same as you will get with cable.
Cable will charge you $10-$13 a month for the service.
Even at $10, cable becomes more costly in less than 3 years.

Dishplayer is only $5 extra per month and for new Dish owners they are always running great promotions for the new box. Depending on the level of sophistication you need in a DVR this might be the best solution.

FYI, I'm hosed because I'm an ex-Dish user who still has the boxes. Dish will not let me expliot their Dishplayer promotions because i'm not a "NEW" user so if I want to get Dishplayer I need to pay for the new boxes --

I do understand their marketing concept. They don't want people switching back and forth so why reward you for going away in the first place.
My problem is this -- in the summer the trees on my neighbor's lawn block one of my two DISH satellites so I don't get most of the PPV channels which I do enjoy.

Still I'm thinking of going back to get the HRTV and TVG networks --

I left because I got a sweetheart deal from my cable company for Internet/TV/Phone service. ($100 for all three which includes free long distance, HBO and Starz packs.)

Of course, three months later, the cable company offers a new package $10 cheaper than the "sweetheart" one I thought I had gotten!!!!!!!!!!!!

With Vonnage now only $25 a month that might be the way to go, along with Dish.

Dave Schwartz
10-10-2004, 11:38 PM
Andi,

I went to the Tivo site... The 40-hr unit is $99 after rebate. Bought 2. (Free shipping.)

Went for the monthly @$12.95 for the first one and $6.95 for the second.

I agree with what you said about the lifetime deal (but it is now $299).

BTW, they are working on one that allows you to connect to your computer via a network and download what you watch to hard disk!

Dave

andicap
10-11-2004, 09:18 AM
Dave,
even at $300, wouldn't it pay to buy the lifetime one, unless you are unsure you will keep it.

Was it $300 apiece or $300 for both. (At $300 for both, I can see where that would be expensive --- but you'd still get your money back in under three years.)

Dave Schwartz
10-11-2004, 11:40 AM
$300 apiece.

The issue is that we may finally move to the HDTV world in the next couple of years which will demand a new unit. Thus, at $20 per month for 2 the breakeven point is 30 months. (Let's not quibble about interest. <G>)

Dave

ceejay
10-11-2004, 05:33 PM
When I called them the best deal seemed to be do the "product life" $300 deal on the first and then the $6.95/month "second TIVO" price. BTW, they said if you wnat to change plans in the first month they will credit he first month fee.